Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Daimler and Renault-Nissan are both building pickup trucks that will be based on the current Nissan Navara NP300.

The MB model will be re-engineered and designed especially to meet the standards of customers in Europe, Australia, South Africa and Latin America.

Both pickups will be built by Nissan at its plants in Cordoba, Argentina, and Barcelona, Spain.

Mercedes and Renault pickups will be based on new Navara, produced by Nissan

·
Registered
728 Posts
Will be great if they get a diesel with the growing trend in car makers using diesel powerplants in vehicles and being a truck in this segment only makes for the perfect combination.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They will have to come out with a diesel option for a higher power output if they want to be competitive on the truck market.

·
Registered
728 Posts
They will have to come out with a diesel option for a higher power output if they want to be competitive on the truck market.
Output and efficiency... basically the same reasons car makers are coming out with a lot of diesels. Something bound to last long enough till we see electric trucks hit the market.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mercedes definitely has diesel options to use. Diesel is great, and it works especially well for trucks. I wonder which brand will be first to get out a good electric truck though. Any predictions on that?

·
Registered
728 Posts
First it's going to be hybrid, since that falls into the 'natural' progression of things towards electric. Tough to say at this point who will be the first to do it since i have yet to see anything. I like to think that Ford wants to jump on it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the whole VW dieselgate thing that is going on, I think we may see a lot of companies move away from diesel and just put those resources into hybrid and electric.

·
Registered
728 Posts
With the whole VW dieselgate thing that is going on, I think we may see a lot of companies move away from diesel and just put those resources into hybrid and electric.
Hybrid is where it's at but I feel like some companies are trying to milk the diesel market before hybrids step up efficiency, and considering the way things have been moving it seems the current new gens of diesels will do well throughout their generation. Hybrids and EV's will be here to stay and grow for a long, long time to come.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hybrid is where it's at but I feel like some companies are trying to milk the diesel market before hybrids step up efficiency, and considering the way things have been moving it seems the current new gens of diesels will do well throughout their generation. Hybrids and EV's will be here to stay and grow for a long, long time to come.
Umm... the next-generation of diesel engines are doomed. Killed before they leave the womb. Diesel is dead.

That is what I think anyway.

Looking ahead, the VW debacle is probably the end for diesel passenger car sales in the US. The cost of repairing the reputational damage of diesel tech is too much.
Is this the end for diesel? (From The Northern Echo)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Didn't know it to be the case like that which is unfortunate.

Someone needs to hurry up and come out with a hybrid truck! GM has a hybrid escalade... maybe they'll be the first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts