Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here you can learn about the Santa Cruz's bed specs, options, features and functionality that help to make it a very capable Sport Adventure Vehicle. Hyundai describes it as a multi-utility, secure open bed that provides diverse gear-carrying flexibility and the details of exactly what that means can be found below.

Bed Specs:
  • Upper Length: 48.4 inches
  • Lower Length: 52.1 inches
Why the open bed?
"The research found consumers, often living in urban environments, whose lifestyles include the need to escape to weekend adventures of all kinds. Many of these customers carry various gear and equipment that is better suited to an open bed rather than a typical SUV bodystyle. These buyers want versatile transportation that is equally flexible for urban, adventure, occupational or even home improvement gear. Santa Cruz features a secure, open bed area which includes a lockable tonneau cover, hidden bed storage and versatile bed extension accessories."

"The 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz's multi-functional rear bed puts secure, lockable storage right at hand for things you don’t want to leave in plain sight - perfect for trips, moving, hobbies, work, entertainment, you name it!"
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

"From the rear, a horizontal “T” lighting signature adds visual width and distinguishes Santa Cruz from anything on the road. The functional rear open bed area features secure, lockable in-bed storage, integrated corner bumper steps and a lockable tonneau cover, seamlessly integrated with the overall design. The rear tail lamps are embossed with: “Designed in California” as a testament to the passion of Hyundai’s California-based design team. Small, discrete design details such as this can be found throughout the exterior and interior."
Automotive tail & brake light Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
615 Posts
Perfect! The only thing I would change with this is that I hope the aftermarket makes a spare delete kit that allows you to install a deeper insulated "tub" in the bed than the one it has. I've never needed a spare tire in my entire life driving, even though I've picked up so many nails and what not. You can usually bandaid anything well enough to limp to a tire shop unless truly going on extended trips into the boonies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A pass through like what Subaru did on the Baja will be very practical. I don't think Hyundai said anything about this but here's to hoping they have this feature

·
Registered
615 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn’t.
Rumor is that unlike the prototype, the production version will be able to lower the rear glass though.

That means that using the tonneau cover which can support up to 250lbs of weight, you'd be able to strap something down that way and wouldn't have to go over the roof.

There are little square pieces I can see in the plastic side rails, so I assume you can pop those off to find an anchor point for straps. If so, that might also be an interesting way to pack items by making it a bit of a shelf. Some items can go below to be slid out, and others strapped down with a net on top of it, that way you can more easily access your contents not having to remove everything to get to stuff on the bottom.

Edit: TFL interview with the designer was uploaded, apparently that Toyota style lowering rear glass is dropped and its just going to be a small sliding section. Boo...

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
During the promo video, the lady rode up on a bike. I would have liked Hyundai to illustrate how you can fit a regular bicycle into the bed of the SC.

·
Registered
615 Posts
During the promo video, the lady rode up on a bike. I would have liked Hyundai to illustrate how you can fit a regular bicycle into the bed of the SC.

A much better solution would be to just attach your bicycle carrier to your hitch, just as you would with a crossover. Less chance of scratches and you can carry multiple bicycles that way. Likewise, for motorcycles I'd just use a motorcycle trailer, they are very inexpensive to rent and much safer to load being low profile close to the ground compared to a bed. I use one even on my Ram 1500.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts

A much better solution would be to just attach your bicycle carrier to your hitch, just as you would with a crossover. Less chance of scratches and you can carry multiple bicycles that way. Likewise, for motorcycles I'd just use a motorcycle trailer, they are very inexpensive to rent and much safer to load being low profile close to the ground compared to a bed. I use one even on my Ram 1500.
That's fine, but they should have showed it - but then it would have accentuated how small the bed really is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got bored, taped out the dimensions of the bed in the garage. Length and position of wheel wells were guesstimated. A bike will easily fit in the bed...with the tailgate down. Also here's a number I haven't seen anywhere: if the bed without cover is 52" long and 71" with the tailgate down, that should work out to about 19" height underneath the cover. Now to see if all my camping gear for our family of four will fit...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would have made the end of your simulated tape bed a wall, as you have to remember the leftmost tip of your tire can't pass the vertical wall of tape on the left side going up, since that's where the cab would be. Probably more secure to pop the front wheel off and get a mount to secure it to if doing in the bed anyway.

Or perhaps something similar to this, again with front wheel removed and the back just hanging out with the tailgate down: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MZQTL0

·
Registered
21 Posts
The bike was more just for scale. I use 1up hitch racks, so that will be a non-issue. This shot from the reveal made the bed look impossibly tiny, so I thought I'd do a test run with my most common uses: camping equipment, wheelbarrow and tools, SUP paddles, etc.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Got bored, taped out the dimensions of the bed in the garage. Length and position of wheel wells were guesstimated. A bike will easily fit in the bed...with the tailgate down. Also here's a number I haven't seen anywhere: if the bed without cover is 52" long and 71" with the tailgate down, that should work out to about 19" height underneath the cover. Now to see if all my camping gear for our family of four will fit...
Didn't go to that extreme, but did do a couple hypotenuse diagonal calculations.

In bed tailgate up diagonal is ~71.1".

Using your 71" tailgate down length, the tailgate down diagonal is ~85.9"

That means with the tailgate down my long 65* headtube 29er Banshee Paradox V3 XL hardtail will fit on the diagonal without removing the front tire. I did note that the design team leader stated his Husky 350 fit as well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
...Probably more secure to pop the front wheel off and get a mount to secure it to if doing in the bed anyway...
Used this front bed mount method for the last 40+ years with the quick release 100mm front axles and liked it because you didn't need to tie the bike down. The axle mount held the bike in place and nothing else was needed. But with the new MTB 110mm thru-axle standard it's a bit more of a hassle to pull the thru-axle, yet I still use it on the RTT trailer with two bike mounts.

What I'd like to see is a cab rooftop crossbar with a front wheel on tire mount that lets the rear tire sit inside the bed with the tailgate up. You know people like Yakima, Thule and others will be all over this SAV with products galore in the years to come.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did note that the design team leader stated his Husky 350 fit as well.
I was about to post that! He also remarked it was with the tonneau cover removed, which makes sense. I use my Baja to haul my motorcycles regularly. Pictured below is a KTM690 Enduro, but I’ve also fit a Yamaha WR250F and several different year Ducati Monsters. SC should be able to do the same. 😎👍

·
Registered
615 Posts
Seems a bit dangerous to load it diagonally like that, at least for those of us with less upper body strength and might be traversing rougher roads where it could scoot an inch or two around.

This is the trailer uhaul rents for a mere $14.95 per day, and its so low its much safer for you and the bike IMO:

After all, its hard enough w/ a fullsize bed, lol!

Just because you CAN eat spaghetti with chopsticks doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems a bit dangerous to load it diagonally like that, at least for those of us with less upper body strength and might be traversing rougher roads where it could scoot an inch or two around...
Definitely do not do it unless you have experience and the ability! Having said that, it is a lot easier than you are imagining. Being 6’1” helps a lot.

I use a ramp that fits securely on the tailgate corner at the same angle I want the bike. Besides being required to fit the bike, the diagonal position allows more room for me on the bed while loading, compared to a full size truck bed with the bike straight. The Baja’s bed is not much over 2 feet from the ground, so it’s pretty easy to push a motorcycle up the ramp and step up on to the bed during the process. Using the front handbrake can pause the process for any needed re-positioning. Feel awkward? Feather the brake and walk it back down. Once it’s in the bed, drop the kickstand, remove the ramp and strap it securely. I can do it alone but it’s always nice to have a helper. Hundreds of miles around Texas with street, enduro, and dirt bikes and the rear tire has never moved an inch. I have a 3 bike trailer, but for moving a single bike, this is significantly less effort.

Here is a pic the day I bought the Baja. Rode from Houston to Dallas, loaded the bike, and drove back to Houston.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It appears the Santa Cruz has a larger bed than the Baja. 🥳 Here’s a pic of the Baja dimensions, for those interested. I promise I’m not trying to hijack the thread! The SC will be replacing my Baja, so of course I’m making comparisons. The Baja has been extremely useful with its little bed, it’s a lot of fun, and it’s way easier to maneuver in daily urban situations than a big ass truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It appears the Santa Cruz has a larger bed than the Baja. 🥳 Here’s a pic of the Baja dimensions, for those interested. I promise I’m not trying to hijack the thread! The SC will be replacing my Baja, so of course I’m making comparisons. The Baja has been extremely useful with its little bed, it’s a lot of fun, and it’s way easier to maneuver in daily urban situations than a big ass truck.

View attachment 733
Thanks for the information. I always wanted a Baja. I'm into customizing cars and hope this model will be popular with aftermarket companies. Also I'm wonder if I cut the back of seat for pass through, how the structure strength? Until I have this in hand, I'll see if this is possible. Wish they at least had rear center fold armrest. Could have easily made ski pass through like my BMW.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Asked this in another bed dimension thread, but will put it here too...

Looking for two measurements if anyone can grab them:

1) Distance from the bed floor to the top edge of the bed side.
2) Length of the flat portion of the bed side, from the rear of bed to where it starts to curve up.

Lots of solo campers setup their Camp-Rite Oversize tent cot over their truck bed sides like this.

These are about 32" wide with 11" leg height. I think there's enough bed top edge to do this.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts