Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First. I got my Santa Cruz Limited in Hampton Gray for exactly MSRP ($40,905) at Linwood Hyundai (Linwood Hyundai Paducah | New and Used Hyundai Dealership) in Paducah, KY. No haggle, no fuss. Simple and straightforward. Ask for Robert Walker. 270-444-6901

For context. I traded in my 2002 Subaru Forester w/ manual transmission. Let's just say, Robert did me an immense favor by giving me $500 for it as a rough trade-in. My partner has a 2022 Subaru Outback Touring--non-turbo engine. I also had a 2017 Subaru WRX STI for a couple of years (I don't want to talk about it). So, I have mainly these three vehicles to compare to my Santa Cruz. For size. I am mid-thirties male, 5'11", average build. I'm a tech-savvy engineer. I've only had my SC for 3 days (~210 miles).

I'm a lists kind of guy and these are in no particular order.

Love:
  • The turbo engine is intimidating compared to the Forester. Peppier than the Outback. Reminds me of the STI (305hp) but with significantly faster gear changes and no need for a left foot and right arm to do anything. I haven't punched the SC yet--I want to do a slow break-in and get comfortable with it. I haven't even taken it out of 'SMART' mode yet.
  • The AWD is grippy and makes me feel confident through turns like the Subies.
  • It's very nice to look at.
  • Uh... tonneau cover. I'd never even seen one in real life before.
  • Quiet interior.
  • I love the lane centering feature. It is much more subtle than the Outback but it will command a turn h*******e very confidently.
  • The remote control options through the key fob and phone is absolutely amazing.
  • Infotainment center is wicked fast.
  • Cupholders are perfect fit.
  • Automatic wipers! Say what?!
  • Comfortable ride.
  • The very minimal amount of 'stick on' verbiage on the exterior is nice. The SC words on the tailgate is a perfect touch.
  • Glove box is perfect size, angled, large enough for a file folder.
  • The two screens are absolutely amazing. Beautiful and very easy to see in all lighting.
  • The amount of customization is very cool. I already want more to play with!
  • The headrest is soft and slightly squishy!
  • It reminds me that I've left my phone on the wireless charger.
  • The startup animation on the screen is very cool.
  • The touch sensitive controls are actually kind of nice.
  • Sexy DRLs in the grill.
  • Seats are comfy. The ventilated seats feel cold and I can feel it all the way up my back!
On the fence:
  • The doors are really high with less window.
  • Visibility from driver seat is okay, not the best.
  • Hampton Gray is my preferred color of all the Santa Cruz's. However, it's a very unique gray to me so I'm still getting used to it.
  • Manual sliding rear window.
  • The rims are growing on me.
  • The doors closing/opening sounds odd to me. It's like a hollow kind of sound.
  • Not a fan of the massive Hyundai logo in the beautiful grill. If something aftermarket comes along, I might consider it or this one will grow on me.
  • Wireless Android Auto would be cool, however I don't think it would be anywhere near as good as wired.
Dislike:
  • No Android Auto full-screen.
  • No driver memory seating.
  • No sunglasses holder.
  • The buttons at the front of the center console storage are very easy to accidently hit.
  • The plastic thing on the back of the seat that sits between the shoulders was a bad design decision.
  • No power folding mirrors.
  • I wish it were a push button gear shifter like the Tuscon.
  • No smart park feature like in the Sonata.
  • I want to find a way to cleanly remove/hide the paddle shifters. I hate them so much.
  • The sound system is not at all very punchy--at least, I haven't found out how to tune it to be.
  • (Don't judge me, lol) I wish it had dual exhaust.

I'm sure there's more in all categories, but I think this is enough. Thanks for reading. If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer.

tl;dr: It's extremely nice. It has some 'convenience' shortcomings. I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
First. I got my Santa Cruz Limited in Hampton Gray for exactly MSRP ($40,905) at Linwood Hyundai (Linwood Hyundai Paducah | New and Used Hyundai Dealership) in Paducah, KY. No haggle, no fuss. Simple and straightforward. Ask for Robert Walker. 270-444-6901

View attachment 1999

For context. I traded in my 2002 Subaru Forester w/ manual transmission. Let's just say, Robert did me an immense favor by giving me $500 for it as a rough trade-in. My partner has a 2022 Subaru Outback Touring--non-turbo engine. I also had a 2017 Subaru WRX STI for a couple of years (I don't want to talk about it). So, I have mainly these three vehicles to compare to my Santa Cruz. For size. I am mid-thirties male, 5'11", average build. I'm a tech-savvy engineer. I've only had my SC for 3 days (~210 miles).

I'm a lists kind of guy and these are in no particular order.

Love:
  • The turbo engine is intimidating compared to the Forester. Peppier than the Outback. Reminds me of the STI (305hp) but with significantly faster gear changes and no need for a left foot and right arm to do anything. I haven't punched the SC yet--I want to do a slow break-in and get comfortable with it. I haven't even taken it out of 'SMART' mode yet.
  • The AWD is grippy and makes me feel confident through turns like the Subies.
  • It's very nice to look at.
  • Uh... tonneau cover. I'd never even seen one in real life before.
  • Quiet interior.
  • I love the lane centering feature. It is much more subtle than the Outback but it will command a turn h*******e very confidently.
  • The remote control options through the key fob and phone is absolutely amazing.
  • Infotainment center is wicked fast.
  • Cupholders are perfect fit.
  • Automatic wipers! Say what?!
  • Comfortable ride.
  • The very minimal amount of 'stick on' verbiage on the exterior is nice. The SC words on the tailgate is a perfect touch.
  • Glove box is perfect size, angled, large enough for a file folder.
  • The two screens are absolutely amazing. Beautiful and very easy to see in all lighting.
  • The amount of customization is very cool. I already want more to play with!
  • The headrest is soft and slightly squishy!
  • It reminds me that I've left my phone on the wireless charger.
  • The startup animation on the screen is very cool.
  • The touch sensitive controls are actually kind of nice.
  • Sexy DRLs in the grill.
  • Seats are comfy. The ventilated seats feel cold and I can feel it all the way up my back!
On the fence:
  • The doors are really high with less window.
  • Visibility from driver seat is okay, not the best.
  • Hampton Gray is my preferred color of all the Santa Cruz's. However, it's a very unique gray to me so I'm still getting used to it.
  • Manual sliding rear window.
  • The rims are growing on me.
  • The doors closing/opening sounds odd to me. It's like a hollow kind of sound.
  • Not a fan of the massive Hyundai logo in the beautiful grill. If something aftermarket comes along, I might consider it or this one will grow on me.
  • Wireless Android Auto would be cool, however I don't think it would be anywhere near as good as wired.
Dislike:
  • No driver memory seating.
  • No sunglasses holder.
  • The buttons at the front of the center console storage are very easy to accidently hit.
  • The plastic thing on the back of the seat that sits between the shoulders was a bad design decision.
  • No power folding mirrors.
  • I wish it were a push button gear shifter like the Tuscon.
  • No smart park feature like in the Sonata.
  • I want to find a way to cleanly remove/hide the paddle shifters. I hate them so much.
  • The sound system is not at all very punchy--at least, I haven't found out how to tune it to be.
  • (Don't judge me, lol) I wish it had dual exhaust.

I'm sure there's more in all categories, but I think this is enough. Thanks for reading. If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer.

tl;dr: It's extremely nice. It has some 'convenience' shortcomings. I'm keeping it.
I understand about the gray -- I had ordered it originally; however, when seeing it on another Hyundai vehicle (Santa Fe I think), I changed my mind. It was a toss-up between sage gray and white (I went with white and gray/orange interior) -- should pick it up within 10 days -- driving back to Pensacola from Homer Skelton Hyundai in northern MS (about 450 miles).

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
I also had a 2017 Subaru WRX STI for a couple of years (I don't want to talk about it). So, I have mainly these three vehicles to compare to my Santa Cruz. For size.
As a family we have owned a 2008 STI, 2015 WRX, 2016 WRX, and a 2018 Outback. I would love to hear the story about your STI. ;) In our most recent car deal we traded the 2016 WRX (auto) in for a Lexus GX460.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I understand about the gray -- I had ordered it originally; however, when seeing it on another Hyundai vehicle (Santa Fe I think), I changed my mind. It was a toss-up between sage gray and white (I went with white and gray/orange interior) -- should pick it up within 10 days -- driving back to Pensacola from Homer Skelton Hyundai in northern MS (about 450 miles).
Congrats on pricing & ease of purchase experience : )

Outstanding review....only other "con" i can think of is what Casey H pointed out earlier, no rear parking sensors...

You are correct, the "wired" infotainment is so much better for reliable connectivity AND sound quality. Just get a retractable usb and reduce wire clutter : )

They come even with multi connectors but not as small a profile

Enjoy your Santa Cruz!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great review! Thank you for taking the time to do so. :) (y)
re: Android Auto full screen may work by enabling developer options in the AA app itself, and then changing the video resolution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great review! Thank you for taking the time to do so. :) (y)
re: Android Auto full screen may work by enabling developer options in the AA app itself, and then changing the video resolution.
Thanks! 😊

So I just now tried the developer options and changing the video resolution. Using all 4 settings, nothing changed at all between them (disconnect/reconnect between changes). The text looked same, pictures same, maps same. It's as if this option does absolutely nothing. 😭 Thanks for suggesting!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
21 Posts
Thanks! 😊

So I just now tried the developer options and changing the video resolution. Using all 4 settings, nothing changed at all between them (disconnect/reconnect between changes). The text looked same, pictures same, maps same. It's as if this option does absolutely nothing. 😭 Thanks for suggesting!
Yeah, don’t waste your time. These Hyundai/Kia widescreen systems were developed when Android Auto didn’t yet support alternate aspect ratios. They still haven’t updated any of them to recognize it is even a possibility. Maybe in the future an update will enable it… but after two years of updates with no results, I’m becoming increasingly skeptical that it will ever happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@nick would you be willing to do me a huge favor? I haven't seen a measurement of the width of the screen behind the steering wheel (not the diagonal measurement, but simply the width). I'm curious if I can set my iPad in front of it to watch content when it's parked!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Yeah, don’t waste your time. These Hyundai/Kia widescreen systems were developed when Android Auto didn’t yet support alternate aspect ratios.
Personally, with all that width, I'd prefer to have a split screen between AA/CP and the stock menu/HVAC controls on one side. One of the things that always annoys me in the Equinox is having to leave AA to go back and tap something in the stock interface, then back home, back to AA. If I could leave AA up all the time and still get the rest of the options on a small side screen?? That would be my ideal. But if it's just dead space that can't really be used for anything, that would suck.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
21 Posts
Personally, with all that width, I'd prefer to have a split screen between AA/CP and the stock menu/HVAC controls on one side. One of the things that always annoys me in the Equinox is having to leave AA to go back and tap something in the stock interface, then back home, back to AA. If I could leave AA up all the time and still get the rest of the options on a small side screen?? That would be my ideal. But if it's just dead space that can't really be used for anything, that would suck.
You can have it set to display stock maps, weather, compass, radio, etc on that right 1/3 of the screen when Android Auto (or split screen CarPlay) is up.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
You can have it set to display stock maps, weather, compass, radio, etc on that right 1/3 of the screen when Android Auto (or split screen CarPlay) is up.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! I'll take that over full screen AA any day! Obviously, opinions on the subject differ greatly. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks! 😊

Well, it was worth a shot anyways! I am assuming you can fill the right side of the screen with another display item? I think that would be handy.

EDIT: nevermind, that info was already posted!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts