Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD with Activity Package in Hampton Gray
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With both the SC and Maverick being a rare occurrence I thought I would share this picture of my Santa Cruz parked next to a Maverick. Glad to be the SC owner!!

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

· Registered
SEL 2.5 Non-Turbo AWD with Activity package
287 Posts
A guy who works at my local market has the same black Mav shown here. Every time I see it I'm thankful mine never came. I'm sure it's very capable, but it doesn't stand out in any way, and looks ridiculously small.

· Registered
47 Posts
I gave my daughter the cactus gray maverick lariat i had ordered because I was happy with my SC limited. I’ve driven both a fair amount now. the SC is superior in terms of interior quality, electronics, etc. But in terms of the exterior, the Mav is a striking little truck that gets a ton of compliments.

· Registered
497 Posts
I gave my daughter the cactus gray maverick lariat i had ordered because I was happy with my SC limited. I’ve driven both a fair amount now. the SC is superior in terms of interior quality, electronics, etc. But in terms of the exterior, the Mav is a striking little truck that gets a ton of compliments.
I don't care for the exterior but in hybrid form, nearly double my NA Cruz miles per gallon. Lol. That kind of hurts.

I've sure drove uglier vehicles that didn't get 40mpg. Lol

· Registered
364 Posts
I guess it’s striking if you like a basic Ford truck. To me it looks like it was styled by the same engineers who designed it. (All function no form)

· Registered
1,943 Posts
I don't care for the exterior but in hybrid form, nearly double my NA Cruz miles per gallon. Lol. That kind of hurts.

I've sure drove uglier vehicles that didn't get 40mpg. Lol
Lack of AWD makes the Hybrid Maverick a non-starter for my use and many others
If you’re careful, you can get close to 40mpg with the SC turbo lol… if you’re cruising in the 40km/h to 80 km/h range and manually keeping it lowest RPM.

Looks are subjective and to each their own. As long as they’re enjoying their ride, couldn’t careless.

· Registered
263 Posts
The look of the Maverick is popular. It is a scaled down version of the top selling vehicle in the US, so it is more or less guaranteed to be popular.

The SC's daring design is more to my taste and breaks some new ground, which is cause for both likes and dislikes. They both have their strong points and provide buyers with interesting alternatives.

Pick either one and you have a winner as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just glad that there are good choices out there now and hope that someday there will be more right-sized trucks on the market.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD with Activity Package in Hampton Gray
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The look of the Maverick is popular. It is a scaled down version of the top selling vehicle in the US, so it is more or less guaranteed to be popular.

The SC's daring design is more to my taste and breaks some new ground, which is cause for both likes and dislikes. They both have their strong points and provide buyers with interesting alternatives.

Pick either one and you have a winner as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just glad that there are good choices out there now and hope that someday there will be more right-sized trucks on the market.
@SantaCruzFan

Well said!

I think we can all say we accept the look of a traditional pickup truck and that is what Ford has delivered. Nothing wrong with the classic styling of the Maverick but I do like the "daring" design that the Santa Cruz brings to this new market segment. If the Santa Cruz didn't exist I would likely be a candidate for the Maverick but instead the SC has caught my eye!

· Registered
364 Posts
See I’m not certain that it’s the look of the Mav that is popular. I think it’s just as likely that a Ford pickup is a known commodity as opposed to a Hyundai pickup in North America. I understand that. I also understand that Ford, as a general rule, tends to not be very bold with their designs. As said above, that fit’s many peoples tastes. It’s also often the case that many people stick to a brand when that brand offers what they are looking for. I’ve not noticed many people here talking about switching from a Ford to the Santa Cruz. LOTS of previous Hyundai owners and a handful from other OEMs. I bet you would find the same reading Mav forums, lots of Ford owners and some from other OEMs. Hyundai will not likely ever compete with Ford for sheer quantity of vehicles sold. So brand loyalty on it’s own would make them seem like a popular choice.

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
The design and look of the Maverick doesn‘t excite me but would not keep me from getting one. The cheap quality of materials and questionable workmanship that was evident on my F-150 had me giving preferential treatment to the alternatives. I could list detail by detail but many of you here have had Fords. Bumper paint not matching body paint, dash surface warping, primitive infotainment — and just an obvious effort to do everything in the cheapest way possible selling the highest volume possible. If it works that’s great for them.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,291 Posts
The ride and materials in the Maverick feels and looks so unrefined, I've driven both and the SC is a totally different driver experience, I think my Fiat Pop 500 felt more refined than the Maverick.

· Registered
76 Posts
I ordered my Maverick in January. Finally got my confirmation on Friday. It had been converted into a 2023 model. Umm... no thanks? I love my Santa Cruz, no way I'm giving it up for that box on wheels.

I even asked my son if he wanted the Maverick? He said he'd rather have an Elantra.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,291 Posts
I ordered my Maverick in January. Finally got my confirmation on Friday. It had been converted into a 2023 model. Umm... no thanks? I love my Santa Cruz, no way I'm giving it up for that box on wheels.

I even asked my son if he wanted the Maverick? He said he'd rather have an Elantra.
I let a XL loaded and a Lariat semi-loaded Hybrid go back...The Dealer was happy to sell them for over list...

· Registered
2,326 Posts
See I’m not certain that it’s the look of the Mav that is popular.
Oh it is. Reading endless comments in YT reviews of both and you'll find looks are THE dividing line between these two vehicles. Because spec wise they are pretty much identical once you remove the cheapest Mav and the most expensive SC. The middle trims, where most buyers actually purchase, have only looks to separate them as price and features are so similar. The Mav looks like a truck which is the image most people want to project. The F150 is not the most popular selling vehicle because people need to tow and haul, they buy it to keep up with Jones.

I've been seeing lots more Mavs on the road recently and my reaction is always the same - I mistake them for older Nissan's. It is not a modern-looking vehicle. However these old school blocky vehicles project this rough and tough look which makes them super popular. Ford's brilliance here is putting THREE vehicles on the same platform: the Escape, Maverick and Bronco Sport. The Escape has a modern and sleek look, yet most consider it just another boring CUV. So Ford flipped that script by styling the other two to have this Jeep-like image which draws in buyers.

· Registered
Hampton gray SEL Premium
61 Posts
I think Hyundai realized that if utes catch on in North America, they will probably all look the same, so they decided to be the styling alternative right off the bat.

While I like the SC and its radical styling, I do like the color choices for the Maverick and find the SC options bland.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
While I like the SC and its radical styling, I do like the color choices for the Maverick and find the SC options bland.
I would disagree with you, while theMaverick has the same colours offered by many manufacturers and vehicles. SC with the exception of the Black, White and Hampton Grey, which every manufacturer has And must have) The Sage, Blue and Tan is quite unique and a bold choice, which reflects the SC unique styling and purpose.

· Registered
2023 SEL Premium
122 Posts
I think Hyundai realized that if utes catch on in North America, they will probably all look the same, so they decided to be the styling alternative right off the bat.

Agreed. The color choices on the SC are very limited compared to the Maverick. Wife wanted a red Maverick, but after driving one and comparing to the SC, the SC wins for her. Plus she wanted the Hybrid, which sold out in 5 days for 2023 so no chance to get one for another year. And the Hybrid has had so many problems probably a good thing we didn't get one.

We have a hold on a 2023 SEL Premium coming in about 3 weeks that we'll probably buy if the stars all align.

· Registered
17 Posts
I had a Maverick XLT Hybrid on order for over a year and chose it for the exterior looks - and a misconception that the SC couldn't haul 4'x8' sheet goods. It gives off an "I do hard work" vibe that a lot of people look for. The SC has a "young people camping" vibe going for it. It's a matter of preference. With all that said, I'm doing the paperwork to own my new SEL tomorrow while everyone else is at the mall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts