Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the site and old to the world.
I've been driving pickups since I was 16......47 years ago.
65;C-10, 1987;Ranger, 1994;Ranger, 2007;Tacoma and I've been following the potential for a new "small" pickup since I heard about the Santa Cruz a few years ago.

I was interested in the small Santa Fe with a bed, I saw a lot of pics w/ 2 doors and now it looks like they may come in 4 doors only.
If that's the case, then I'm out. I DO NOT want, need, nor will buy a 4-door pickup. No offense, but I don't need to carry more than two people.

I'm interested in seeing how the actual production vehicles will look.
I can live with a short bed, but not 4-doors.
If the Santa Cruz comes w/4 I guess I will start looking hard at a new Ranger or I will take on a Smyth pickup conversion using a Jetta as a donor vehicle.

Looking forward to the site all!
Denis

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bobby7,
I'm looking for an extended cab, six foot bed (or longer) compact truck.
I was a fan of Ranger's, Taco's and any other compact, but I don't need or want 4-doors.
It is a waste of space and money for me (no kids and don't want to chauffeur others).
My interest is that when the Santa Cruz was announced years ago it was just what I wanted.
Apparently Hyundai is going with a 4-door with a short bed......not interested.

I can wait for an updated Ranger, Bronco...I know, not a pickup.
I am a BIG fan of Tacoma's, but they have really lost their edge and the 2017 has been deemed one of the worst trucks ever.

Build a compact truck.....and they will come!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bobby7,
I'm looking for an extended cab, six foot bed (or longer) compact truck.
I was a fan of Ranger's, Taco's and any other compact, but I don't need or want 4-doors.
It is a waste of space and money for me (no kids and don't want to chauffeur others).
My interest is that when the Santa Cruz was announced years ago it was just what I wanted.
Apparently Hyundai is going with a 4-door with a short bed......not interested.

I can wait for an updated Ranger, Bronco...I know, not a pickup.
I am a BIG fan of Tacoma's, but they have really lost their edge and the 2017 has been deemed one of the worst trucks ever.

Build a compact truck.....and they will come!!!!!
That's definitely fair, it does seem like the Santa Cruz pickup will be a 4-door but you never know there could be a 2-door. I'm surprised the quality of Tacoma's have dropped over the years because I always thought they were one of the better trucks you could get.

·
Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
37 Posts
I'm in the "Old Guys Club" too (a very active 60+). Hope you end up finding the advantages of the final 4-door production version to your liking over time. I was also hoping for a 2 and a half door longer bed like the prototype, but must say the 4-door that they actually produced does look good. With an elderly parent that requires a transporter chair, nephew and grand niece; that extra seating will come in handy when doing something as simple as going out to diner together. And the extra lockable storage is a plus too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a charter member of the OFC*, I would be happy with a 2-door extended/super cab, but Hyundai is looking at a much broader market -- which includes a lot of families with back-seat-kids.

The first time I saw a Subaru Baja, I said "Wow! That is just what I need."

But, it wasn't. I'm 6'3" and just didn't comfortably fit inside... but I could never forget about it. Fast forward a decade or so and along comes the Ridgeline - close, but no cigar.

Maybe the Maverick will ring my bell, but I kinda doubt it.

Now, the Santa Cruz has (almost) appeared. Hot-diggity-dog!

Now, just don't blow the whole deal, Hyundai, with crazy-high pricing. (Or shoddy workmanship AND high-pricing, like some unnamed others.)

* Old Farts Club

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fast forward a decade or so and along comes the Ridgeline - close, but no cigar.
What don't you like about the Ridgeline? I personally never liked its styling plus it seemed to be nearly full size. I want something the size of my current '02 Dakota, but even the new Ranger put me off by being oversized. The Ridgeline is very close to my Dakota in numbers, but in person it just seems bigger. My current complaint is a problem I've had with Hondas for years now: weak torque. The SC seems perfect, both in size and power... though I admit another 8-10" of bed (and wheelbase) would be nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What don't you like about the Ridgeline? I personally never liked its styling plus it seemed to be nearly full size. I want something the size of my current '02 Dakota, but even the new Ranger put me off by being oversized. The Ridgeline is very close to my Dakota in numbers, but in person it just seems bigger. My current complaint is a problem I've had with Hondas for years now: weak torque. The SC seems perfect, both in size and power... though I admit another 8-10" of bed (and wheelbase) would be nice.
Ha, @JMII, you pretty much answered your own question for me. I, too, prefer the size of the Santa Cruz (At least, I think I will, once I actually see one in reallife.) The Ridgeline is my second choice (so far.)

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
37 Posts
Biggest issue for me regarding the Ridgeline is pricing. IMHO it's $10K-$15K overpriced. I had a deal all worked out online for a decked out AWD Ridgeline last summer for $40K OTD (huge discount). I even confirmed it with their online sales rep who confirmed and approved it with their sales manager, so I drove over 50 miles to that dealer. Wasn't that impressed with the test drive power for what I expected it to be, but would have been happy with it at that price. After the test drive and inspection of all the neat little options I was ready to pull out my wallet. We sat down at the table and the first words out the the sales reps mouth that they assigned me was, "You know you can't buy this truck for $40K out the door." Then he proceeded to add $4K in "upgrades" that he claimed where already on the truck and they can't discount.

Blahahaha... I said your sales manager has already agreed to $40K OTD with all addons waved if any are on it. After only about 5-10 minutes of discussion, I unloaded on him and walked out. He wasted several hours of my weekend and I wasn't happy.

Looking back, that corrupt dealer did me a favor. Glad I'm not stuck in that Ridgeline now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts