Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking but lately can't help myself from posting so figured I'd add an introduction. I've been daily driving Porsche sports cars the last couple of years but decided to move into something more responsible. I have been interested in the SC since it was announced. It seems to be the perfect car for my needs, and I'm a big fan of Korean brands. Enough so that I'll buy a SC without ever sitting in one.

My Boxster GTS 4.0 goes bye bye next week and I'll wait until an allocation comes through for a Limited since I can get by without a car for a while (wife doesn't work and I'll borrow hers). I'm told I'm first on the list whenever the dealer gets an allocation. I'm torn on color, but I'll likely try to score hampton grey. I do wish there louder colors available and wish I'd seen the available colors in person.

Likely I'll throw on a JB4, Blendmount a radar detector, and change the black leather to something more interesting (maybe red with hampton grey or if I end up with ice white then possibly brown). I'm also guessing I won't be able to resist some audio upgrades as well.

Looking forward to contributing to the community!

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
106 Posts
Always good to have the forums expanding, only works when people are active. I've seen some users do some high quality wraps to change the color. I personally wish they had one in a dark electric blue or metallic blue. Not a fan of the soft pastel colors so I went phantom black, Did your dealer give you an ETA?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always good to have the forums expanding, only works when people are active. I've seen some users do some high quality wraps to change the color. I personally wish they had one in a dark electric blue or metallic blue. Not a fan of the soft pastel colors so I went phantom black, Did your dealer give you an ETA?
No time frame, they just got the last round of allocations and no limited. It actually works out well since my company is still working from home so I can just not have a car payment for however long it takes since I don't need a car. Speaking of wraps, I have my wife's Macan wrapped matte metallic pink so that's what I get to borrow. People never expect to see a middle aged man get out of it, which entertains me.

I thought a lot about color choice tonight. I dislike black interiors more than anything. I think I've landed on hampton grey and I'll redo the seats in dark red leather to make things interesting.

I was pleasantly surprised by the activity in this forum when I found it. Glad to see so many other people are as excited by the Santa Cruz as me.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
106 Posts
I gotta say, I don't HATE the pink wrap on that. Goes well with the black accents and trim. How long has it been wrapped? Does it hold up well over time? Any signs of chips or peeling?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotta say, I don't HATE the pink wrap on that. Goes well with the black accents and trim. How long has it been wrapped? Does it hold up well over time? Any signs of chips or peeling?
I hate the idea of wrapping a Porsche but I'm with you that I don't hate how it turned out.

This one is coming up on a year and 4000 miles. I've had her last three cars wrapped. The first gloss and the last two matte. I wouldn't do gloss again. It scuffs easily and can't be polished out like paint (at least not as much as paint). The matte is more forgiving, but I've also found it a bit susceptible to staining, although this one is ceramic coated and is holding up well. I find the wrap a bit more prone to rock chips vs PPF.

Prep and a good installer is key. It also helps to have a darker color car, as wrapping something like a white car makes it harder to hide panel gaps or hard to wrap areas. For this one I decontaminated the paint then tore down everything I could, removing lights, handles, mirrors, and grill inserts then had it flat bedded to the wrap shop. The results are by far the best I've had. The other cars were good, but the extra work was worth it on this one since I tore down more than the shop would have. This is also where you generally get what you pay for. Not always, but usually. If two shops quote $4,000 and one $2,500 that's a red flag for me.

I expected to get 4 years out of the wrap with normal use but with our driving cut way back it could be longer. I think the only issue after a year is one or two tiny rock chips. I'm also in the snow belt so that factored into my life expectancy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the SC. It's fun to drive and very refined. I have the standard engine and she does just fine, with no complaints on power. This is a second vehicle for me, if I want to fulfill my power needs I jump into my Mustang that is just shy of 500hp. I can appreciate someone who takes pride in their sports car as well. I like the look of some of the full wraps out there. I have ppf in all the right places and it was a good investment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will not be disappointed with the SC. It's fun to drive and very refined. I have the standard engine and she does just fine, with no complaints on power. This is a second vehicle for me, if I want to fulfill my power needs I jump into my Mustang that is just shy of 500hp. I can appreciate someone who takes pride in their sports car as well. I like the look of some of the full wraps out there. I have ppf in all the right places and it was a good investment.
The Boxster is my daily driver with winter tires, but in a lot of ways ways I won't miss it. It snowed overnight and while I could get around fine, I'd prefer not to deal with other drivers, rocks, the mess, etc. There will be freedom in having a vehicle I don't care about in the same way. Which is to say I'll still care about it and treat it the same, but if something happens to it I won't be out stupid money to make a repair so I won't be worrying about it. There are days where it would be easier just to slide into a normal sized vehicle and go. Plus I love the safety and tech in Hyundai/Kia. It's enough to be useful without being over the top stupid. Had the new Z4 and the tech in that was cool for about 30 minutes, then it just became annoying and difficult to deal with. Definitely a good lesson for me in what is important and what is not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Always got along with the Porsche crowd. Had many invites to run autocross or hpde on track in the New England area. They always gave me respect as I just wanted to really push my American muscle. They also appreciated that I could drive almost as fast! It's all about the cars... Now in NC, I can drive year round in the Mustang, as long as it's above 50 and dry. The SC is plain awesome, you are gonna really like it. Went to Costco today and everything went in the back nice and easy.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My brother had a Boxster GTS with a matte wrap as a track car. I drove it once on track and the handling was truly amazing. Here is a picture of him behind my C7 Z51 on Sebring:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Now he has Cayman as the track toy and 911 Targa which is his dream Porsche.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My brother had a Boxster GTS with a matte wrap as a track car. I drove it once on track and the handling was truly amazing. Here is a picture of him behind my C7 Z51 on Sebring:

View attachment 5692

Now he has Cayman as the track toy and 911 Targa which is his dream Porsche.

View attachment 5693
Nice! I like the look of the targa, but after having a 911 turbo I wanted something smaller. Plus I can't help adding every option and that gets way out of my comfort zone price-wise. :D

I never convinced my wife to let me track either car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts