Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so I decided to do some searching around to see if this idea had just gotten swept under the carpet and forgotten about. Apparently it hasn't. We should also be awaiting some news and announcements from Hyundai in regards to the Santa Cruz !

Managed to nab this snippet of an article from AutoNews.com

Let's talk trucks. What's the latest on the Santa Cruz small pickup?
We're still not in a position to say officially what's happening, but we're very positive. Development work is going on. We're waiting to make an announcement. We think it's somewhat imminent, though I know I've said that so many times. But we feel pretty good about it. And a lot of development work is being done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I look at least once a week to see when they will be coming out with some news. I was disappointed to see there was a new ion model previewed in my most recent Motor Trend but zero news on the Santa Cruz.

The Ridgeline is getting ready to come out, the new Jeep pick-up, Ford is getting ready to redo their Ranger. The time is NOW for Hyundai to come out and beat some of these other models to market.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look at least once a week to see when they will be coming out with some news. I was disappointed to see there was a new ion model previewed in my most recent Motor Trend but zero news on the Santa Cruz.

The Ridgeline is getting ready to come out, the new Jeep pick-up, Ford is getting ready to redo their Ranger. The time is NOW for Hyundai to come out and beat some of these other models to market.
I completely agree. This is an extremely crucial time in the market. They need to come out and bring the Santa Cruz out to take the thunder

·
Registered
729 Posts
Then you have Jeep that will be coming out with a Wrangler-based pick up, they're said to compete in the same space the Santa Cruze, Ridgeline and the like will be in. So that will be quite interesting. It's a Jeep I would consider, beats paying $70k for a Wrangler Brute.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just love the looks and dimensions of the Santa Cruz. If they had it out to market now, I am 95% sure I would be purchasing one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without a doubt. It's just disappointing that it's taking so long and we have no indication whatsoever on when it'll be arriving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am waiting on buying new vehicle to see just when anyone (at this point ) will bring out unibody "el camino"AWD type platform. Wrangler,Ridgeline is out $30+K unimpressive MPG. No benefit over Colorado as far as I'm concerned. I would hate to buy a Honda HRV AWD and find out in 1 year I could get Hyundai SC or Ford unibody whatever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I feel like Hyundai has been saying this for a while but it would be great to hear some news about the Santa Cruz before the end of this year. Just a yes or not, something definite. If it take too long, I may look at alternatives like the Jeep Wrangler pickup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am waiting on buying new vehicle to see just when anyone (at this point ) will bring out unibody "el camino"AWD type platform. Wrangler,Ridgeline is out $30+K unimpressive MPG. No benefit over Colorado as far as I'm concerned. I would hate to buy a Honda HRV AWD and find out in 1 year I could get Hyundai SC or Ford unibody whatever.
An AWD El-Camino styled anything would be great. Especially if it was a smaller motor, turbo. Great fuel efficiency, and the potential to make it a real beast if you wanted to very easily.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like Hyundai has been saying this for a while but it would be great to hear some news about the Santa Cruz before the end of this year. Just a yes or not, something definite. If it take too long, I may look at alternatives like the Jeep Wrangler pickup.
The Jeep wrangler pickup is taking quite a long time too though. I may need something sooner than when either of these comes out. I do really like the wrangler pickup idea however. Once it has enough power to haul and go off-roading at the same time

·
Registered
12 Posts
An AWD El-Camino styled anything would be great. Especially if it was a smaller motor, turbo. Great fuel efficiency, and the potential to make it a real beast if you wanted to very easily.
The problem I have with Chevy doing an El Camino or Ford doing an El Ranchero is the styling. Chevy did the SSR with very little success. What would it look like?

That is what really draws me to the Hyundai, it has the rugged look of a truck but in the right dimensions.

What would Ford or Chevy use to build their model? Would they use the Escape or the Equinox?

·
Registered
2 Posts
From the latest issue of Motor Trend:

"Hyundai showed the Santa Cruz lifestyle pickup concept at the 2015 NAIS to test the waters for a small unibody-construction truck. Reaction was overwhelmingly positive to the concept and engineering work continued. North American CEO Dave Zuchowski is waiting for official news out of Korea that the truck is a go. It would ride on the underpinnings of the new Tucson, and combined volume might be enough to justify a North American assembly plant to build the two models. The Santa Cruz would be priced to compete in the $20,000 range. If it can be done, Zuchowski thinks Hyundai can sell 50-70k a year. Development time is three to four years."

If that article is anything to go one, we may still be waiting awhile. Not sure I can wait that long. I had hopes for the Ridgeline, but the 3 that just showed up at my local Honda dealer are all over $35k and one was $42k. Me thinks not. Who knows, maybe the Santa Cruz, Ranger and new Frontier will come out at the same time (and Wrangler pick-up). Should make for some tough decisions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As soon as I read the Santa Cruz will be priced to compete in the $20,000 range, I kinda blurred out.

If the Wrangler Pick-up and the Santa Cruz come out around the same time, I think it will really come down to pricing for me. Well, Pricing and what my trend of activities is including during that point of time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well, pricing will be the big divide with the way I see it. Hyundai can only ask for so much and they have to price themselves within a range that make them appealing. Priced similar to the Jeep, Hyundai will lose to Jeep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts