Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone keeping an eye on what Honda has going on, this is the latest:

Honda is hard at work on an all-new Ridgeline and is searching for new ways to turn the truck into a success.

To improve its sales the next-generation Ridgeline will have to be somewhat different than the current model. “No one wants to have to explain why they bought what they bought,” said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda. That probably happens quite a bit with today’s Ridgeline, which is rather odd looking, especially compared to classic full-size pickups like the F-150 or Silverado.

Mendel said the new version will have more truck like-proportions and traditional styling than today’s Ridgeline. He also mentioned that it probably won’t have “as sharp an edge,” ostensibly meaning it will be less polarizing.

From a capability standpoint the current product offers quite a bit. This car-based pickup drives like a minivan and sips fuel like one, too. Customers appreciate some of its innovative features including a trunk hidden underneath the bed and a tailgate that can either fold down or swing open.

The 2016 Ridgeline is set to hit the market sometime in 2016 with an all-new Odyssey minivan following at some point after that as the company continues to update its light-truck portfolio.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looks good in the sketch, but I imagine that it won't be quite as exciting in real life. Cool to see more brands getting into the truck game though. There wasn't enough viable selections before.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good in the sketch, but I imagine that it won't be quite as exciting in real life. Cool to see more brands getting into the truck game though. There wasn't enough viable selections before.
What makes you say it won't be as exciting in real life? This is just a speculative rendering so i'm just curious as to what information you're basing your reply off of?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well its a rendering so we know its not going to look exactly like that. I just think that the overall shape looks smoother and more rounded in sketches like this than in real life. Some of the dimensions are more pronounced in sketches compared to real life in my opinion.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like that could be the case, the Ridgeline seen here seems beefier than the one its replacing.

If Honda wants to get better sales volume, going this direction sure seems to be what will get them their.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wouldn't be that bad if it's still a similar setup but if they can go up segment with trucks, it might be a good move for them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This has to make Hyundai pause -- if Honda's research indicates a traditional pickup product is the way to go, then perhaps the best course of action would be for Hyundai to also offer a traditional pickup, unlike the Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Ridgeline competes with midsize trucks. So yes I'd agree that their research probably showed that midsize truck buyers want a conventional looking truck. But just because it looks like a traditional pickup doesn't mean it's going to sell. Look at the Tundra and Titan. With the new GM twins, and a new Tacoma on the way, the Ridgeline will be going up against very stiff competition. The last thing Hyundai would want to do is jump into the ring with those guys.

Hyundai's research has shown that there is also a large untapped market of buyers that don't want a traditional pickup. They want an open bed, but also want small CUV efficiency and maneuverability. I think they're on the right path. Down the road they can look to add larger trucks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way I see it, the direction they're going creates the right stepping stones and slots them into a growing market.
Great way to establish themselves as a truck maker!

All about baby steps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts