Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Consistent with the "fleet delivery vehicle" target.

·
Registered
Hampton Grey Limited
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just here in ads, reviews oh how cheap the maverick is and they never mention all the things it doesn't come with. Or how you really can't even tow with it anymore.

·
Registered
Hampton Grey Limited
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just here in ads, reviews oh how cheap the maverick is and they never mention all the things it doesn't come with. Or how you really can't even tow with it anymore.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Tiffany's or The Dollar Store: both sell earrings, your choice, That's why this is a great country!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
And this is exactly why I find the price-based comparisons between the Maverick and Santa Cruz to be exercises in ignorance. They ignore everything but the numbers. They ignore what each one is and is NOT equipped with. They ignore all reason. Then they proceed to say how they would go ahead and order a Lariat FX4 with 4k Tow package ... which is nowhere in the same zip code as $20k or 40mpg.

Hey, if you WANT to drive a stripper just to hit that $20k price point on a new vehicle with warranty, good on ya, buddy! I'm more than willing to pay the price for the luxury and comfort and far better looks of the competition, even if I had to go out of town to get one. I did my comparisons as apples to apples as I could make the two - and every throwing in every blasted option Ford offered I couldn't get a Maverick with all of the features of the Santa Cruz, the price was almost identical, and other than the wider selection of colors, it just doesn't look as good.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When I priced out a Mav to match a SC Limited AWD the price difference was around $2-3k but you were still missing a few things on the Mav technology wise. The only thing the Mav has the SC is lacking is a real tow package. As I've said before almost nobody buys a base, stripped, no options personal vehicle thus these under $20k Mavs will be unicorns or fleet sales only. In the real world the two vehicles are very close in price. The SC tends to be a touch more expensive but one look at the interior and it obvious where Ford saved those pennies. Also I don't mind spend a bit more knowing the SC is made in the USA.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
144 Posts
When I priced out a Mav to match a SC Limited AWD the price difference was around $2-3k but you were still missing a few things on the Mav technology wise. The only thing the Mav has the SC is lacking is a real tow package. As I've said before almost nobody buys a base, stripped, no options personal vehicle thus these under $20k Mavs will be unicorns or fleet sales only. In the real world the two vehicles are very close in price. The SC tends to be a touch more expensive but one look at the interior and it obvious where Ford saved those pennies. Also I don't mind spend a bit more knowing the SC is made in the USA.

Well....what's a "real" tow package anyways? A hitch and harness? It's available (aftermarket is about half price). A heavy duty transmission cooler? The turbo with the DCT has one, does anyone know about the non-turbo? Towing drops to 3,500 lbs from 5,000. Self leveling suspension? Has it. Doesn't have a trailer brake controller but wireless is available.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well....what's a "real" tow package anyways? A hitch and harness? It's available (aftermarket is about half price). A heavy duty transmission cooler? The turbo with the DCT has one, does anyone know about the non-turbo? Towing drops to 3,500 lbs from 5,000. Self leveling suspension? Has it. Doesn't have a trailer brake controller but wireless is available.
Ford offers: hitch with 7 pin, transmission oil cooler, high capacity radiator, upgraded cooling fan, upgraded drive ratio, and trailer brake controller all for $745.

The SC just has the hitch and 7 pin from the factory ($450), sure you can fill in the blanks with aftermarket bits but when doing an apples-to-apples check box comparison the SC falls short in this area except for the self-leveling suspension which the Mav doesn't offer. In fact the Mav's FX4 off road package only changes the wheels/tires not the suspension so I don't see any value there... but you do get a sticker :LOL:

I haven't seen anything that indicates the DCT has a special, towing specific cooler. Now is the stock turbo's and DCT cooling system enough for towing? I can only assume yes or they wouldn't have rated it to tow 5k. Guess we will find out when someone starts pushing the limits.

·
Registered
252 Posts
And this is exactly why I find the price-based comparisons between the Maverick and Santa Cruz to be exercises in ignorance. They ignore everything but the numbers. They ignore what each one is and is NOT equipped with. They ignore all reason. Then they proceed to say how they would go ahead and order a Lariat FX4 with 4k Tow package ... which is nowhere in the same zip code as $20k or 40mpg.

Hey, if you WANT to drive a stripper just to hit that $20k price point on a new vehicle with warranty, good on ya, buddy! I'm more than willing to pay the price for the luxury and comfort and far better looks of the competition, even if I had to go out of town to get one. I did my comparisons as apples to apples as I could make the two - and every throwing in every blasted option Ford offered I couldn't get a Maverick with all of the features of the Santa Cruz, the price was almost identical, and other than the wider selection of colors, it just doesn't look as good.
More than willing to pay the price for luxury.. and you bought a Santa cruz rather than a host of other far more luxurious and capable vehicles. Everyone gets to choose. Thats the great part. I wouldn't choose a Cruz or a Maverick. To me both are "strippers". Even a Ram, 2021 and up F150 or 2022 k1500 is far more luxurious.....if you insist on calling the cruz a truck like most here do. Get into cars or SUV and the sky is the limit.

one has to be careful bashing the guys in cheaper cars. Eventually a Maserati or AMG or Range rover or Jaguar etc etc pulls up beside you.

Ford offers: hitch with 7 pin, transmission oil cooler, high capacity radiator, upgraded cooling fan, upgraded drive ratio, and trailer brake controller all for $745.

The SC just has the hitch and 7 pin from the factory ($450), sure you can fill in the blanks with aftermarket bits but when doing an apples-to-apples check box comparison the SC falls short in this area except for the self-leveling suspension which the Mav doesn't offer. In fact the Mav's FX4 off road package only changes the wheels/tires not the suspension so I don't see any value there... but you do get a sticker :LOL:

I haven't seen anything that indicates the DCT has a special, towing specific cooler. Now is the stock turbo's and DCT cooling system enough for towing? I can only assume yes or they wouldn't have rated it to tow 5k. Guess we will find out when someone starts pushing the limits.
In the ranger and f150 fx4 adds a locker, skid plates, all weather floor mats, stiffer suspension. and AT tires. Not sure about maverick. Even in the F150 its a rip off. The skids suck, the locker is available even without FX4 and the goodyear territory AT tires are perhaps the sorriest AT tires ever made. Decent road tires but AT is a stretch. And you get a sorrier ride from the fx4 shocks....as a bonus.

Here's the big question, does the Santa Cruz come with the self-immolating catalytic converter like the hybrid Maverick does?

Big issues in Ford land ...

Maybe hyundai included the "self immolating" ABS system that they so graciously included in so many cars. Even after all the recalls. Or their self releasing seat belts they got hit for. Or the hoods that open on their own going down the road. Maybe to combat that ABS fire. Lol

Ooh ooh or does the maverick come with the built in loss of power upon acceleration to keep you safe or the exploding and underfilled DcT the cruze does. Or the self dumping tailgate. Lol. Maybe the Ford can be fixed with their built in OTA updates...

It's easy to pick on a vehicle . ANY vehicle. Ford gave us self ejecting spark plugs for 10 years. Chevy and dodge gave us permanently disabled cylinders to save the polar bears. Toyota gave us 10 years of trucks that turned to powder to save the world. Takata airbags, exploding Pinto, burning duramax and wrangler......

No brand is free from it.

Every make gets recalls and screw ups. You can't even buy lettuce without being part of a recall these days.

I've owned most every brand you could think of up Lexus and Benz. I've had recalls on every single new vehicle I've purchased. (Around 30) They also all broke in some way or fashion. Some more than others.

I hate seeing people bash others vehicles. Mustang guys hate Camaro guys. Camaro guys hate Mustang guys. Everybody hates the Mopar guys......until a honda or Eclipse or Subaru pulls up....then they all team up on that guy. Lol. I grew up tuning in the import days. Eclipse turbo, supra, 3000GT.....the American muscle guys absolutely hated the imports and the imports hated them. I had Mustang, Trans-am and turbo imports too so I found myself always taking up for the least represented. Being a tech and seeing the constant flow of TSB and recalls makes it easy to infuriate any brand loyalist. It also makes you realize they all make junk sometimes

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
More than willing to pay the price for luxury.. and you bought a Santa cruz rather than a host of other far more luxurious and capable vehicles. Everyone gets to choose. Thats the great part. I wouldn't choose a Cruz or a Maverick. To me both are "strippers". Even a Ram, 2021 and up F150 or 2022 k1500 is far more luxurious.....if you insist on calling the cruz a truck like most here do. Get into cars or SUV and the sky is the limit.

one has to be careful bashing the guys in cheaper cars. Eventually a Maserati or AMG or Range rover or Jaguar etc etc pulls up beside you.
When I started with my current company, 2+ years ago, they offered to lease me a F150 Platinum… and I thought to myself, “what the **** would I want a F150 for? “
Asked them, lease a Toyota RAV4 hybrid Limited as my commuter. And keep the F150swhere it belongs, on the job.
To each their own…

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I started with my current company, 2+ years ago, they offered to lease me a F150 Platinum… and I thought to myself, “what the **** would I want a F150 for? “
Asked them, lease a Toyota RAV4 hybrid Limited as my commuter. And keep the F150swhere it belongs, on the job.
To each their own…
They have come a long way though. For Ford the 21 and 22 models and for GM the 2022. The dodge has been pretty nice for years, just with terrible issues. My F150 5.0 gets better mileage and is more luxurious and better riding than our highlander limited which is also a great ride.

I'm not knocking any vehicle. I'm just saying it's easy to say "I was willing to pay for more luxury" than the guy in a Fiesta or aveo but the guy in a powerboost king ranch or a Levante is laughing at the guy in the Hyundai.

Regarding performance I was willing to pay more for performance for my GT350 than for a Santa Cruz......but the guy in the zr1 or model S is laughing at me.

That's all I'm saying. People on here seem to prefer to bash the Maverick or Ridgeline (Mostly Maverick) rather than enjoy their car. They post reviews that prefer the Santa Cruz all day and then when the Maverick gets into circulation and the reviews favor it......."stupid terrible idiot reviews" lol.

The Rav 4 has came a long way from the old cheap box with a fold up back seat too. Lol. I feel like the size is getting out of hand though. Very little difference in the rav and the highlander nowdays. Can't beat Toyota reliability though.

But even my Toyota and Lexus had several recalls. Lol. F150 did too.

I've owned buisness for years. I see the "fanboyism" and validation seeking all the time. It's just off putting to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts