Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Consistent with the "fleet delivery vehicle" target.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just here in ads, reviews oh how cheap the maverick is and they never mention all the things it doesn't come with. Or how you really can't even tow with it anymore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just here in ads, reviews oh how cheap the maverick is and they never mention all the things it doesn't come with. Or how you really can't even tow with it anymore.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Tiffany's or The Dollar Store: both sell earrings, your choice, That's why this is a great country!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
And this is exactly why I find the price-based comparisons between the Maverick and Santa Cruz to be exercises in ignorance. They ignore everything but the numbers. They ignore what each one is and is NOT equipped with. They ignore all reason. Then they proceed to say how they would go ahead and order a Lariat FX4 with 4k Tow package ... which is nowhere in the same zip code as $20k or 40mpg.

Hey, if you WANT to drive a stripper just to hit that $20k price point on a new vehicle with warranty, good on ya, buddy! I'm more than willing to pay the price for the luxury and comfort and far better looks of the competition, even if I had to go out of town to get one. I did my comparisons as apples to apples as I could make the two - and every throwing in every blasted option Ford offered I couldn't get a Maverick with all of the features of the Santa Cruz, the price was almost identical, and other than the wider selection of colors, it just doesn't look as good.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
When I priced out a Mav to match a SC Limited AWD the price difference was around $2-3k but you were still missing a few things on the Mav technology wise. The only thing the Mav has the SC is lacking is a real tow package. As I've said before almost nobody buys a base, stripped, no options personal vehicle thus these under $20k Mavs will be unicorns or fleet sales only. In the real world the two vehicles are very close in price. The SC tends to be a touch more expensive but one look at the interior and it obvious where Ford saved those pennies. Also I don't mind spend a bit more knowing the SC is made in the USA.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
87 Posts
When I priced out a Mav to match a SC Limited AWD the price difference was around $2-3k but you were still missing a few things on the Mav technology wise. The only thing the Mav has the SC is lacking is a real tow package. As I've said before almost nobody buys a base, stripped, no options personal vehicle thus these under $20k Mavs will be unicorns or fleet sales only. In the real world the two vehicles are very close in price. The SC tends to be a touch more expensive but one look at the interior and it obvious where Ford saved those pennies. Also I don't mind spend a bit more knowing the SC is made in the USA.

Well....what's a "real" tow package anyways? A hitch and harness? It's available (aftermarket is about half price). A heavy duty transmission cooler? The turbo with the DCT has one, does anyone know about the non-turbo? Towing drops to 3,500 lbs from 5,000. Self leveling suspension? Has it. Doesn't have a trailer brake controller but wireless is available.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well....what's a "real" tow package anyways? A hitch and harness? It's available (aftermarket is about half price). A heavy duty transmission cooler? The turbo with the DCT has one, does anyone know about the non-turbo? Towing drops to 3,500 lbs from 5,000. Self leveling suspension? Has it. Doesn't have a trailer brake controller but wireless is available.
Ford offers: hitch with 7 pin, transmission oil cooler, high capacity radiator, upgraded cooling fan, upgraded drive ratio, and trailer brake controller all for $745.

The SC just has the hitch and 7 pin from the factory ($450), sure you can fill in the blanks with aftermarket bits but when doing an apples-to-apples check box comparison the SC falls short in this area except for the self-leveling suspension which the Mav doesn't offer. In fact the Mav's FX4 off road package only changes the wheels/tires not the suspension so I don't see any value there... but you do get a sticker :LOL:

I haven't seen anything that indicates the DCT has a special, towing specific cooler. Now is the stock turbo's and DCT cooling system enough for towing? I can only assume yes or they wouldn't have rated it to tow 5k. Guess we will find out when someone starts pushing the limits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts