1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tested it on some steep hills
stopping in the middle of the incline, foot on the brake, shifter in D
lift off the brake and step on gas, SC would definitely roll back a little depends on how steep the hill is.
I think this is something important to know about the SC if you live in the mountains.

Another thing that startled the crap out of me today was the forward collision mitigation.

I was behind a car that's making a right turn
As a human, I anticipated the car was about to finish making that right turn, and I didn't slow down but accelerated a bit knowing that soon the car will leave my lane and complete the right turn.
However, the SC disagreed and slammed on the brakes overruled my accelerator input.
I'm going to find a way to detune the sensitivity of that as my driving style the default sensitivity isn't to me liking. I'd rather it just make audible warning sound but not actually brake for me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
... Another thing that startled the crap out of me today was the forward collision mitigation.
As a human, I anticipated the car was about to finish making that right turn, and I didn't slow down but accelerated a bit knowing that soon the car will leave my lane and complete the right turn.
However, the SC disagreed and slammed on the brakes overruled my accelerator input.
I'm going to find a way to detune the sensitivity of that as my driving style the default sensitivity isn't to me liking. I'd rather it just make audible warning sound but not actually brake for me.
Thanks for the warning - I drive the same way. Let us know if you find a setting to fix that.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
21 Posts
You can change the forward safety setting between active assist (it’ll brake for you if needed), warning only (exactly what it sounds like), and off.

You can also change warning timing between normal and late.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can change the forward safety setting between active assist (it’ll brake for you if needed), warning only (exactly what it sounds like), and off.

You can also change warning timing between normal and late.
Yes, thanks. But I think every time the vehicle restarts it defaults back to active assist full nanny mode despite having previously set to warnings only

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've tested it on some steep hills
stopping in the middle of the incline, foot on the brake, shifter in D
lift off the brake and step on gas, SC would definitely roll back a little depends on how steep the hill is.
I think this is something important to know about the SC if you live in the mountains.

Another thing that startled the crap out of me today was the forward collision mitigation.

Sensitvity has 3 levels... off, warn only and breaking. Depends how fast you are closing on the car and how close you are to thier bumper. If you are a tailgater, you will find it takes action.. the trick is to back off some and don't get on the gas until the path is cleared.

Are you using auto hold?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
Wait until you attempt to pass a slow moving vehicle in the right lane in traffic. You will attempt to accelerate into the middle lane, but you will not be able to accelerate until you are completely out from behind the slow moving vehicle. That makes for a harrowing experience when a large truck is coming in the middle lane.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wait until you attempt to pass a slow moving vehicle in the right lane in traffic. You will attempt to accelerate into the middle lane, but you will not be able to accelerate until you are completely out from behind the slow moving vehicle. That makes for a harrowing experience when a large truck is coming in the middle lane.
Wow.. so you want cut off the left cheek of the guy in front of you and then pull directly into an up-coming truck path.... and somehow there is something wrong with the SC??? No safety feature can fix reckless. 🤔

·
Registered
793 Posts
SC would definitely roll back a little depends on how steep the hill is.
Thanks for the warning... I was wondering about this in terms of launching my boat, rolling back a little on boat ramp could be problem. Even with automatics I've learned to ride the brake slightly to ensure I only go one direction - away from the water ;)

Are you using auto hold?
Reading the manual this feature seems to be the answer. Its sounds like what I described above - it keeps the brake pressure applied during that window of time it takes to move your foot over to the accelerator and get the vehicle moving. If your used to driving a manual transmission you know all about doing the foot dance required. The SC just does it for you via electronics when you push the button.

Sensitvity has 3 levels... off, warn only and breaking.
Yep. However the setting resets each time you start the vehicle :( The manual actually recommends turning it off if you are towing a trailer since sudden braking with a load behind you can make the situation worse.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Yep. However the setting resets each time you start the vehicle :(
Well, that's annoying!! Why give us a setting if it isn't going to be saved? This needs a button .... buttons everywhere! Give me all the buttons!! (Sorry, haven't finished my Monday morning coffee yet.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife loved my Lincoln Corsair so I gave her the keys. I bought my SC 2-days ago and noticed the Auto-Hold resets with each start... The Lincoln's stayed where you set it - always. I wish the SC did because IT DOES roll back more than any automatic transmission I have ever driven.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
81 Posts
My wife loved my Lincoln Corsair so I gave her the keys. I bought my SC 2-days ago and noticed the Auto-Hold resets with each start... The Lincoln's stayed where you set it - always. I wish the SC did because IT DOES roll back more than any automatic transmission I have ever driven.
Yeah, Hyundai/KIa makes you punch it each time you start the vehicle.

I want Brake Hold and Cruise Control to stay ON! I've owned a bunch of Acura's and Cruise stayed on until you turned it off manually. But I haven't seen anyone's Brake Hold stay on, even though that's one of the best things carmakers have invented in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not to split hairs, but it is not going to act like an automatic, because it is not an automatic. Not defending it either, but the DTC is actually an auto shifting, manual, duel clutch transmission.

So are we saying the auto-hold DOES NOT work? You should be able to take your foot off the break completely w/o rolling. Concerning if it is not working as the manual states.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not to split hairs, but it is not going to act like an automatic, because it is not an automatic. Not defending it either, but the DTC is actually an auto shifting, manual, duel clutch transmission.

So are we saying the auto-hold DOES NOT work? You should be able to take your foot off the break completely w/o rolling. Concerning if it is not working as the manual states.
No, the auto hold works perfectly other than the fact it doesn’t stay on when you turn it on after a restart (like Fords and Lincoln’s).

When I’m pulling in my garage I have to back up close to a fence. When I put it in drive the truck rolls backwards into the fence before I can get a foot on the gas… i’ll get used to it but if the auto hold would stay on my problem would be solved using one 🦶🏼…

·
Registered
793 Posts
It should also have HCA (hill control assist) which holds the brakes for 2 seconds to allow you to move your foot over.

This is different from Auto Hold which allows you to take your foot off the brake at a traffic light while keeping the brakes applied. For that feature you have push the button in the center console every time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
No, the auto hold works perfectly other than the fact it doesn’t stay on when you turn it on after a restart (like Fords and Lincoln’s).

When I’m pulling in my garage I have to back up close to a fence. When I put it in drive the truck rolls backwards into the fence before I can get a foot on the gas… i’ll get used to it but if the auto hold would stay on my problem would be solved using one 🦶🏼…
Got it.... correct, it must be reactivated after the engine stop/start. Great point. (y)(y)(y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts