Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this seems to be new for Hyundai vehicles. I was outside without my keys and noticed my SC was unlocked. I opened the driver's side door and pressed the lock button and nothing happened. It wouldn't lock. Tried it on the passenger side and same thing, wouldn't lock. On top of that, I don't even see a manual override lock/unlock switch that's usually next to the door handle where you can manually lock and unlock a single door.

Now all of this works on my other current Hyundai vehicles including my 2020 Santa Fe and my sons 2021 Sonata. They both have manual override switches next to the door handles, and they both lock all the doors when I press the electronic lock button on the inside door panel.

So what gives? Is there no way to lock the car if you don't have your keys or you don't have your phone with bluelink on you? And why is that? What's the purpose from removing this "feature"?

And why no manual override switch next to the door handle? I thought that in the event that there was an electrical failure and the electronic locks weren't working, you could use the manual lock/unlock to get out of your car, or in an emergency. How does all this work now if there is no such switch?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
Didn't really pay any attention on my test drive, but you're right. There are no physical lock buttons that I see ... which is exactly the same as our 2020 Equinox. Guess it's a cost-saving trend? Not a fan of it, but seems like the concept is spreading. In a pinch, I guess you just have to bust out the windows.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always had a bad habit of not locking my car and my wife and kids always check my car when they come home and lock it for me. I guess now that the remote is required to lock it, they won't be able to do that anymore. Seems like an unnecessary feature to take away.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Premium - Phantom Black
47 Posts
You can lock it from the outside of the handle... the strange part of it is you can't grab the handle like normal and do it. If you grab the handle and press where the sensor on the outside it it won't work... it you just lay your finger (or thumb) on the sensor it will lock... took me a while to figure it out as well. Not a very well thought out design.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
281 Posts
... the strange part of it is you can't grab the handle like normal and do it. If you grab the handle and press where the sensor on the outside it it won't work... it you just lay your finger (or thumb) on the sensor it will lock... took me a while to figure it out as well. Not a very well thought out design.
I think the reason for that is that the UNLOCK sensor is inside the handle, and if you put your hand there and ALSO on the lock "button", the system gets mixed messages ... it doesn't know if you're unlocking or locking. So you need to keep your hand (fingers) out of the door handle to lock the vehicle. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What if you are caught in rising waters, as has happened to several people in our county recently with hurricane Ida. If you electrical system gives up...you drown??
When our Acura MDX is locked, if you pull the inside door handle, nothing happens the first time. Pull it a second time and the door opens (you can feel a mechanical override happening as you pull the handle.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing that concerns me with no actual lock button on the inside of the vehicle is that there are neighborhoods that I want to lock the doors as soon as I am in the car. Also with a sensor to unlock the door on the inside of the handle can a bad guy simply pull the handle and I have managed to get the doors locked, will the door simply unlock and they can get in?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I played around with it a little bit more (while I should have been working) and here's what I found:

1. There is absolutely no way to lock the SC unless you physically have the key fob with you. The electronic door locks inside don't work, and the door lock on the outside door handles don't work. So going back to my story about how say my wife comes home and finds that my SC is unlocked, she has no way to lock the truck for me. She would have to either launch the Bluelink app on her phone and send a code, or go into the house and get the key fob. Now, if someone else can test the interior door locks and see if that's just how it is or if maybe something is wrong with my truck. Because every other Hyundai I've had, the electronic door locks inside the car would lock the doors even when you don't have your key fob with you.

2. When you are in the car, whether the car is on or off or even if it's in drive apparently, when you have all the doors locked, simply pulling on the door handle will automatically unlock and open the door the first time. All the other doors remain locked. So, I haven't fully tested this theory out yet because I haven't left my driveway, but you could have all your doors locked, and any passenger could simply pull on the door handle the very first time, and the door would swing wide open, and again, in theory, that could apply to your kids in the back assuming that you don't have the child safety lock engaged.

I don't know, but to me, all of this seems like an evolutionary step backwards in functionality and safety.

·
Registered
Hampton Limited
37 Posts
No help on manually locking the doors, but when I walk away without locking the SC, I get a BlueLink app alert on my watch saying the Santa Cruz has been unlocked for more than a minute.

When I acknowledge the the alert, it says it sent a signal to lock the doors.

I have a Hampton Limited. Must have been activated during the initial set-up because I haven't played with the settings after the first day fiddling around. My previous driver had auto walkaway locking. I am getting used to touching the handle to lock but I forget eevry once in a while.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What if you are caught in rising waters, as has happened to several people in our county recently with hurricane Ida. If you electrical system gives up...you drown??
If you give up, you drown, don't ever give up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok, so I played around with it a little bit more (while I should have been working) and here's what I found:

1. There is absolutely no way to lock the SC unless you physically have the key fob with you. The electronic door locks inside don't work, and the door lock on the outside door handles don't work. So going back to my story about how say my wife comes home and finds that my SC is unlocked, she has no way to lock the truck for me. She would have to either launch the Bluelink app on her phone and send a code, or go into the house and get the key fob. Now, if someone else can test the interior door locks and see if that's just how it is or if maybe something is wrong with my truck. Because every other Hyundai I've had, the electronic door locks inside the car would lock the doors even when you don't have your key fob with you.

2. When you are in the car, whether the car is on or off or even if it's in drive apparently, when you have all the doors locked, simply pulling on the door handle will automatically unlock and open the door the first time. All the other doors remain locked. So, I haven't fully tested this theory out yet because I haven't left my driveway, but you could have all your doors locked, and any passenger could simply pull on the door handle the very first time, and the door would swing wide open, and again, in theory, that could apply to your kids in the back assuming that you don't have the child safety lock engaged.

I don't know, but to me, all of this seems like an evolutionary step backwards in functionality and safety.
I think there's a setting where if you walk away from your car with the fob, it auto locks. This would prevent your wife from having to lock your door and make you look more responsible in her eyes too. Killing 2 🐦🐦

·
Registered
78 Posts

This seems like a law suit waiting to happen. Can the door sensors be turned off in the settings some where? I don't mind having to use the fob to lock or unlock the doors, it is what I have to do now with the Mustang and the Colorado...well the unlocking part. I want the darn doors to stay locked when I get inside!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pull the door handle from inside, the door unlatches. If you can't psychically push the door open to do the water pressure on the outside of the door... then you need to break the glass.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So, if your wife wants to lock your car for you she will have to get in and lock it then slide out the rear road soda window ( if you have one) and then close it from the outside ( which works, I tried it)😜…. Not the climbing out part, the closing from the outside part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is to prevent keys being locked out of vehicle

Trick is : (It only works on auto close window equipped vehicle)

1. Place key in your pocket
2. lower the driver side window
3. close the door while window is down
4. lock the vehicle using the lock button
5. close the window

That's how you lock the door

Make sure to take the keys out before you proceed

·
Registered
436 Posts

The rear doors have the child safety lock to prevent the doors from opening.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts