Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any input on the stereo? Sound quality for non Bose versus Bose. How many speakers for the non Bose/Bose system? Does the non Bose have a center channel speaker as there appears to be a speaker grill on the dash?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drove with a Bose system in my last car, and was pretty determined that my next car would also have the upgraded sound system. I test drove a lot of cars - and the differences across the base/standard audio system varied drastically. (For instance, RAV4 base audio was really bad :X).

Anywho, when I had the chance to buy the SEL Premium I did sit in the lot playing some music and changing the sound levels. It's above average for a base/standard system. It sounds clean, nice amount of bass (but not shake your seats bass, if that's you're thing) and the center channel + window speakers make a noticeable difference. As mentioned in other posts, I did buy it - not sure I could justify the 4K increase over audio alone. (Not like I had the option of a limited sitting there).

In general my understanding is if audio is your only concern or reason to upgrade a trim level, you're better off just upgrading the audio aftermarket.

·
Registered
896 Posts
In general my understanding is if audio is your only concern or reason to upgrade a trim level, you're better off just upgrading the audio aftermarket.
For sure... Bose is massively over-rated. As the saying goes: no highs, no lows, must be Bose :p But this really comes down to personal preferences and how the OEMs tweak things. For example the Bose in my C7 is total garbage and the system in my wife's Q60 is better. However neither of them can hold a candle to the aftermarket system I have in my Dakota (Alpine Imprint DSP, Kicker amps and subs, Infinity mids and tweets).

Looks there is plenty of room under those rear seats for a flat / shallow mount sub enclosure and a multi-channel amp setup. As I get older I care less and less about audio systems. In my younger days I'd gut everything and put in something really amazing. I entered stereo competitions in the 90s and know what the judges listened for in terms of sound quality. Its not always about loudness though that was part of your score.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bose --> "Buy Other Sound Equipment"

Though to be fair, I buy Bose a lot when it's on sale. I've always liked their bluetooth speakers, and their headphones (IEM and over-ear) were great for a while, though I've moved on to Apple for convenience sake.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone know where the subwoofer is on the Bose system? I expected it to take up some of the under rear seat storage cubbies like @JMII was saying but I haven't spotted it in any of the walk around videos -- all of which are Limited trim...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I drove with a Bose system in my last car, and was pretty determined that my next car would also have the upgraded sound system. I test drove a lot of cars - and the differences across the base/standard audio system varied drastically. (For instance, RAV4 base audio was really bad :X).

Anywho, when I had the chance to buy the SEL Premium I did sit in the lot playing some music and changing the sound levels. It's above average for a base/standard system. It sounds clean, nice amount of bass (but not shake your seats bass, if that's you're thing) and the center channel + window speakers make a noticeable difference. As mentioned in other posts, I did buy it - not sure I could justify the 4K increase over audio alone. (Not like I had the option of a limited sitting there).

Unfortunately it isn't as easy to upgrade aftermarket head units anymore with the complex infotainment screens. However, assuming you mean speakers and amplification, that is totally achievable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately it isn't as easy to upgrade aftermarket head units anymore with the complex infotainment screens. However, assuming you mean speakers and amplification, that is totally achievable.
Yep! I'm very content with the base screen/infotainment. As nice as the 10.25 in. screen is - my mindset is no matter screen you have there its going to look outdated in a few years, and I care much more about CarPlay (which they all have).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good feedback. I dont care about base as much as I like mid and hi level sound clarity and fullness. I would definitely not use the stereo to base it on which trim level I chose, but that included with ventilated seats, embedded navigation, 20 inch wheels and other items in the limited, make it appealing. Of course I could do without leather and there is android auto. In the end it will depend on the the deal to be had at the time I guess.

·
Registered
896 Posts
However, assuming you mean speakers and amplification, that is totally achievable.
Yep that is pretty much your only avenue. You'll need some kind of OEM adapter because the source unit ain't changing. Gone are the days of just splicing some speaker wires behind the dash. These fancy new audio systems are digital so the adapters are very vehicle specific and expensive but are plug-n-play units.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Worse than that, all of your settings/controls/HVAC/etc are integrated in the head units ... so adding a full secondary stereo system is really the only option, unless you want to lose pretty much all other functions that live in the dash these days. One thing I always loved about old vehicles ... it was just power and speakers. Plug in whatever the heck you want and the rest of the car worked just fine.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
396 Posts
Agreed... but I have had awesome luck with Crutchfield. They already have the SC listed:

Many of the new head units even have the ability to control the HVAC or pull engine data. It is really about how fast they can build the adapter cable. Some of the Santa Fe stuff might work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone know where the subwoofer is on the Bose system? I expected it to take up some of the under rear seat storage cubbies like @JMII was saying but I haven't spotted it in any of the walk around videos -- all of which are Limited trim...
Apparently the sub is located behind the rear seat backs.

Clever packaging to not take up any cargo space. Well done.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It is really about how fast they can build the adapter cable. Some of the Santa Fe stuff might work.
Yep just need the correct connectors and adapters. These are likely generic to the Bose system in all H/K products.

LOL at listening to a sound system demo via the internet :ROFLMAO: it has no bass... oh wait that is how MY computer sounds not the SC. This is worse then people trying to figure out the colors via Instagram pictures. If people actually believe you can judge a system this way then my next business will be improving the smell of websites :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to see someone running pink noise and grabbing an RTA or FFT trace of the system, you know actual sound data.

·
Registered
156 Posts
LOL at listening to a sound system demo via the internet :ROFLMAO: it has no bass... oh wait that is how MY computer sounds not the SC
Agree... the format of this video is absolutely ridiculous for evaluating the performance of the system. If this guy had really high end recording equipment and you played it back on high end equipment I guess you might get the gist but... the speaker placement and acoustics of the vehicle itself plays a HUGE role in car audio quality so even that's not very representative. But, as soon as I saw the thumbnail pop up I thought "AH, I bet he'll point out the subwoofer location!".

I'd like to see someone running pink noise and grabbing an RTA or FFT trace of the system, you know actual sound data.
savagegeese does just that for a lot of vehicles... hopefully he will for the SC too if/when he gets his hands on one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is my first negative on the SC, which not sure is fair to call negative.

Got a premium with the non Bose, was initially rather surprised how well the not premium system sounded at volume.

However after rocking out with it for bout two weeks, already notice having to turn down the loudest songs some to maintain the same sound quality. So if one likes sound quality at highest volume, imagine swapping out the factory non Bose speakers is likely in the future.

But to be fair knew it wasn't the premium system when I got it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is my first negative on the SC, which not sure is fair to call negative.

Got a premium with the non Bose, was initially rather surprised how well the not premium system sounded at volume.

However after rocking out with it for bout two weeks, already notice having to turn down the loudest songs some to maintain the same sound quality. So if one likes sound quality at highest volume, imagine swapping out the factory non Bose speakers is likely in the future.

But to be fair knew it wasn't the premium system when I got it.
i think this is my experience as well. The base speakers have no business being as good as they are, but it really varies.

if there’s a not super expensive way to just upgrade the speakers in the future I probably will consider it.

Have you turned off the noise cancellation setting? I’m not really even sure it’s applicable but it somewhere in settings, apparently it can have an impact on audio quality. But I haven’t read up on it yet, just came across it while surfing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's the good news for those with the Bose system. It APPEARS the Bose amp in under the drivers seat. If so, this is actually genius forethought for upgrading as it can be just a simple swap out for an amp with more power (with the right adapter of course). This makes upgrading 10x easier than having to remove the head unit to get to the connections. Hopefully Crutchfield will develop a mating connection to simple plug into the factory plug although assuming this will take some time as I assume they dont even have an SC avail yet. Additionally, it APPEARS there is a separate small amp behind the rear seat that should, in theory power the sub. That said, both are very underwhelming so I bought a 10" Kicker Hideaway sub and plan to remove the rear seat this weekend and see what I find back there. will report back once i dig in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK kids, i had a few mins so I got a jump on it. good news/bad news.... good news is the seat is a breeze to take out. much easier than the one in my Ridgeline. pro tip: it comes out in two pieces so once you unbolt the base, just slide it forward and remove. the back is held in by two additional bolts to the main wall (not accessible until you remove the seat) and two nuts under the ports on the trim under the back window. i took it all out in about 20 mins.

now the bad news..... the "sub" is an absolute laughable waste of time and space.... wonder why you are getting no base? its a 5" SUB!!!!!! This i the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen passed off as a sub. Bose should be ashamed they put their name on this.... speaker wires are there though so all i need to run is power from battery and hook up the Hideaway Sub and I expect the bass to improve dramatically. Prob wont get to that til this weekend but wanted to share this info.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle
Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 56 Posts