Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scott Grant, HMCA chief operating officer has released this statement about the Hyundai Santa Cruz :

"It’s been advanced as we understand it. it won’t be anything this side of 2020. We’ve got a planning horizon in place where they’re looking at the vehicle quite seriously, but there is yet to be a commitment to produce. I can’t confirm what or when, but it’s a slightly different message. Not any time soon but it’s starting to feel like there’s some movement”
Unfortunately, we won't be seeing the Santa Cruz anytime soon.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Keep in mind that this statement could be Hyundai Australia lobbying for a more utilitarian, rugged, possibly even ladder frame midsize truck. Based on their previous comments its no secret that's what they would prefer over the concept design.

As far as waiting until 2020, not surprising. Along with getting the thing developed, seems like they still also have political issues to sort out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
At least there's a growing demand for trucks like that. Even Mercedes is getting on board and launching a truck that does just that. Surely if Mercedes and the current truck brands can do it there's room for Hyundai to do something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, if you look at some of the numbers, they're not all good. While Ford is on track to sell >750k F-150s in '16 and Toyota is hoping to sell 200k Tacoma's, Nissan is going to be pressed to sell 10k Titans this year. And the Titan even has the new Cummins diesel as a selling feature!

And I think Dave Zuchowski was dreaming when he thought Hyundai could sell 70k Tuscons and 70k Santa Cruz per year which he needed for a US plant (YTD number say the new Tuscon will sell ~85k units in '16). But it is huge risk that Santa Cruz would sell 55k units (could be Titanic failure - pun intended). And I think we are seeing that in the delayed introduction - bean counters aren't convinced. And I think $20k MSRP isn't possible - Tuscon Sport has MSRP of $26k from Hyundai web site (Santa Cruz was supposed to be one trim level only, and that most like wouldn't be the base model).

The Australian UTE concept would be competing against new Ranger, Colorado, new Jeep, Tacoma. Hyundai isn't going to make money trying to gain market share there. So, the politics of what to build, for which market is killing Santa Cruz too. :(

Going to Toyota to get a Taco; been a good ride guys.

·
Registered
728 Posts
on that note i'll be looking out to see how Jeep does with their new truck.
they already had people who wanted a truck so bad they went out and got a conversion, which says a lot.
now being available on a production levels makes it easier for others to get in one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read the Australia Hyundai article carefully, and they seem to specifically exclude the US version of the Santa Cruz from the discussion.

I don't expect Australia Hyundai truck buyers to have much effect opposed to demand for this type of truck in the US.

There is still some hope. But both Hyundai and Kia seem to love waiting until the last second before "officially" committing to a model release. Even dealers aren't given real dates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is tough... it's like.. we have hope and then the hope gets crushed, and then up again
Not too sure how long I can keep doing this for

·
Registered
113 Posts
At this rate, people may look elsewhere for a small pickup and Hyundai will lose future customers. I'm really not sure I can wait until 2020 before getting one. Anyone already looking at other models?

·
Registered
285 Posts
At this rate, people may look elsewhere for a small pickup and Hyundai will lose future customers. I'm really not sure I can wait until 2020 before getting one. Anyone already looking at other models?
How long do you keep your vehicles? 5-6 years isn't too bad for a placeholder until the SC is ready. Plus you might want to wait a year or two for Hyundai to work out the first year bugs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
IMO 3-4 years at most is best since working with that interval you stay up to date with all that comes out in the industry, able to maintain good value, stay well within the warranty term, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my CR-V since 1999, so I'm reeady for an upgrade.

I've been looking at getting a Frontier for a while, so I think I might just take the leap now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts