Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at Discount Tire on my way home last night to buy certificates for the tires, and when the sales guy & I walked out to the truck to get the mileage and for him to inspect the tires, I noticed this on the hood:

They're tiny. The span between them is about the width of my finger.

Yeah, I knew it was going to happen eventually, I'd just hoped that it would have been longer than 4 days and 160 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
That's why I always get the clear mask installed ASAP. It won't stop everything from marking up the hood, but most things. Sorry to see that on your new SC.

·
Registered
896 Posts
That PPF stuff works, my C7 has the film / clear bra all over the front (bumpers, hood, mirrors) and even after tracking the car tire rubber just wipes off and doesn't mare the paint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You provide the perfect example of why I get clear protective film on all of my new cars before they can start to chip. That is the only way that I have found to stop this problem and for me it is well worth the cost.

If you decide to touch those up yourself I can recommend DR. ColorChip, which works much better than the dealer supplied touch up paint, particularly on small chips like those on that pretty new SC of yours..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You provide the perfect example of why I get clear protective film on all of my new cars before they can start to chip. That is the only way that I have found to stop this problem and for me it is well worth the cost.

If you decide to touch those up yourself I can recommend DR. ColorChip, which works much better than the dealer supplied touch up paint, particularly on small chips like those on that pretty new SC of yours..
Just looked up Dr ColorChip, and they don't have solutions for the Santa Cruz or its colors available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is unfortunate and I have no idea how long it takes them to develop paint for a new vehicle or new colors. Does Hyundai have touchup paint available yet?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is unfortunate and I have no idea how long it takes them to develop paint for a new vehicle or new colors. Does Hyundai have touchup paint available yet?
I called the parts department of the dealership, and the guy who I spoke with said he didn't know if they had it, and transferred me to the parts counter, but it went to the automated operator instead.

So I called my salesperson, and she said she'd call the parts department and get back to me. She did warn me that they may not have paint pens yet, since it's a new paint color for Hyundai.

So I'll wait.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should also mention, with regards to the suggestions of clear bras and other protective coatings, I've never needed one before. The only reason I ever got a bra for a car was when we had the Beetle, and a chunk of tire rubber hit the hood while doing highway speeds, and it left a dent in the hood. We picked up a vinyl bra which effectively hid the damage. None of my other vehicles ever got chips in the hood (that I noticed).

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I've had several little chips in our Journey over a decade of driving it. Just used the touch-up pens to fix 'em up. Haven't noticed much on the Equinox in the last year, except for a couple of little nicks from a blast of rocks off a log truck that chipped the windshield this spring. I'm still on the fence about the clear film ... I like that they're an extra barrier, but I'm also not a fan of the how they're visible too. It's like leaving the plastic film on a screen ... you just kinda wanna pick it off of there and hear that satisfying peeling sound. lol

·
Registered
896 Posts
Is the hood aluminum or steel?

I also wonder how the dark chrome will hold up. Its just plastic with a coating on top right?

And what about the headlights? They are just flat pieces of plastic (not glass I assume) mounted down low which could be a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the hood aluminum or steel?

I also wonder how the dark chrome will hold up. Its just plastic with a coating on top right?

And what about the headlights? They are just flat pieces of plastic (not glass I assume) mounted down low which could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Not sure on the hood material. Will have to check it later.

My chrome grill is not the dark, so I don't know.

The headlights are only slightly lower than the headlights of our Veloster, and those have held up just fine. The fog lights on the Veloster are lower, and have also held up just fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also buy my touchup paints from Automotive Touchup. They are very good (but slow delivery) and lower cost than Dr.Colorchip. Unfortunately they also do not have the Santa Cruz listed, but you can always call them and see if they have it, but haven't posted to their site yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I should also mention, with regards to the suggestions of clear bras and other protective coatings, I've never needed one before. The only reason I ever got a bra for a car was when we had the Beetle, and a chunk of tire rubber hit the hood while doing highway speeds, and it left a dent in the hood. We picked up a vinyl bra which effectively hid the damage. None of my other vehicles ever got chips in the hood (that I noticed).
i feel your pain.. never EVER had that happen before & i have had a million vehicles (maybe not THAT many : ) and never had a chip on hood. My 3 week old 2022 Limited Tucson Hybrid got one and i was sad : ( I read and saw a lot of comments that Hyundai's paint is "soft"... i didn't think much of it at the time but now i'm like OMG, how is my black paint going to hold up over time?! i had my RAM almost 2 years, not ONE chip : (

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i feel your pain.. never EVER had that happen before & i have had a million vehicles (maybe not THAT many : ) and never had a chip on hood. My 3 week old 2022 Limited Tucson Hybrid got one and i was sad : ( I read and saw a lot of comments that Hyundai's paint is "soft"... i didn't think much of it at the time but now i'm like OMG, how is my black paint going to hold up over time?! i had my RAM almost 2 years, not ONE chip : ( View attachment 1988

View attachment 1989
We also have a 2012 Hyundai Veloster, and the only paint damage on it is from door dings. One factor could be that the Veloster was built in Korea, then transported to Texas, whereas the Santa Cruz was built in Alabama a week or two before being trucked to Texas. So it could be that the paint hasn’t had a chance to fully cure yet. Or I/we could just be unlucky.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We also have a 2012 Hyundai Veloster, and the only paint damage on it is from door dings. One factor could be that the Veloster was built in Korea, then transported to Texas, whereas the Santa Cruz was built in Alabama a week or two before being trucked to Texas. So it could be that the paint hasn’t had a chance to fully cure yet. Or I/we could just be unlucky.
Mine's a hybrid so it was built in Korea. Also, around the chip on my bigger of the two chips is a round DENT so looks like not only is the paint "soft" but so is the steel...grrrr!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had tire piece hit my hood few days ago. I got a person coming tomorrow to repair it between $500-$650 depending on if there's "ripple". He didn't know if was steel or aluminum like stated earlier in this thread. We compared to a 2022 Tucson and that is steel according to his database. Fingers crossed because he said aluminum is more expensive to fix. He said a new Tuscon hood costs $1200 (not sure if painted and installed is included). It's a paintless repair. Think that seems worth it? He stated that his prices are competitive and others will charge $700+.

It also damaged one of the grill DRLs but I can't get anyone to help me find parts. I just get the "it's a new model but we'll get back to you."

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just had tire piece hit my hood few days ago. I got a person coming tomorrow to repair it between $500-$650 depending on if there's "ripple". He didn't know if was steel or aluminum like stated earlier in this thread. We compared to a 2022 Tucson and that is steel according to his database. Fingers crossed because he said aluminum is more expensive to fix. He said a new Tuscon hood costs $1200 (not sure if painted and installed is included). It's a paintless repair. Think that seems worth it? He stated that his prices are competitive and others will charge $700+.

View attachment 2325

It also damaged one of the grill DRLs but I can't get anyone to help me find parts. I just get the "it's a new model but we'll get back to you."

View attachment 2327
I know in some respects it’s just a car and things could be so much worse blah blah blah but I have to tell you I feel so bad for you because if that happened to my brand-new Santa Cruz I’d be so sad even though you have to try to maintain perspective I still sympathise and hope that you can get the DRL fixed pretty quick so you don’t have to look at that every day… Best of luck… And even though right now it’s probably like a stake through your heart I guarantee you within a couple weeks hopefully it’ll just be a distant memory And Santa Cruz will be looking like brandy new again! fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
That's a real bummer, @nick. Does the front edge of the hood need new paint? It looks scraped their, but hard to tell from the pics. Good luck on the repair. Does the SC have the same DRL configuration as the Tucson?

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a real bummer, @nick. Does the front edge of the hood need new paint? It looks scraped their, but hard to tell from the pics. Good luck on the repair. Does the SC have the same DRL configuration as the Tucson?
[/QUOTE

my 22 tucson has 4 with 1 to the right santa cruz has 3 with1 to the right and looks to be an inch or so bigger so they wouldn’t be interchangeable :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think it'll need anything but a tiny buff. I haven't tried wiping it off with a finger. The paintless dent repair guy said he'll buff the dent afterwards so I'll get his opinion about it.

Good idea on the Tucson DRLs, but @MyJoyride came in for a good comment.

Thanks for confirming.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts