Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Which wheel size will you choose?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the tire size on the 18 and 20 respectively? I'm torn between the choice of 18 or 20, on one hand, I know that 18 inch tires are cheaper and offers more selections, 20 inch is better for on road which is 99.9% of my driving. How would you choose?

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Toyo AT3 is offered in both of sizes, I'm probably gonna opt for 20" then and swap to those AT tires. With 300 lb ft torque and AWD I'm sure my lead foot will destroy the OEM tires pretty fast

·
Registered
490 Posts
18" for me... lighter, better ride and lower replacement costs.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
That was one thing that surprised me between the US and Canadian sites ... we seem to get much more information on the Canadian site. The trim I selected gets 20s ... but, as you can see above, they list both 18 and 20 on the Ultimate trim. Personally, I'm a big fan of smaller wheels and taller sidewalls. Lots of reasons - replacement cost is only one. Rim protection is a BIG one if you live anywhere with monster potholes. Doesn't just prevent curb rash! Ever see someone with 20 or 30 series tires nail a pothole and bend a rim? I'll take sidewall EVERY time, unless I'm literally buying a performance car where the smaller sidewalls help with handling. I'm not going racing with a mini-truck!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'll take sidewall EVERY time, unless I'm literally buying a performance car where the smaller sidewalls help with handling. I'm not going racing with a mini-truck!
Even on my Corvette, which I do take to the track, I downsized from OEM 19/20 to aftermarket 18/19 setup. The taller rubber is cheaper so I went wider and gripper thus offsetting any performance hit. Plus the smaller wheels reduced unsprung mass (22lbs total). This big wheel trend is all about looks (bling factor). Another reason, on sports cars at least, is clearance for massive brakes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Getting 18" and will almost immediately downsize to aftermarket 17" or possibly 16" depending on brake caliper clearance.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
The 20's are one pothole away from a bent rim and a rough ride. They look cool, but the compromise in ride quality and extra cost will keep me in the 18 wheel/tire category.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 20's are one pothole away from a bent rim and a rough ride. They look cool, but the compromise in ride quality and extra cost will keep me in the 18 wheel/tire category.
If you think that they look "cool", you must be under 40 years of age. You're right, anything under a 45 series profile is just a pot hole away from unneeded expenses. For ride and dependability I prefer at least a 50 series profile (unless you're running on a closed track).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts