Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Watched a couple so far.

Fast, quiet, comfortable, good.

Touchscreen and piano black not so good.
I hate the piano black, the underseat tray is worse than the Mav, and the limited colors. There than that, I love it a lot. If the SEL Premium eliminates the first of these issues, I will be very tempted. Problem is the one I plan to look at this week is marked up 4k and there is no way I am playing limited prices for it

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play, only on the lower spec. Strangely.
Its been rumored that the bigger screen requires too much bandwidth and thus has to be wired. Also heard that a software update might fix this later.

·
Registered
603 Posts
SPOILER ALERT Watch the video, at least past 10:10, before reading text below:

SWMBO and I were enjoying this review, watching the part about how well the SC pulled the trailer with the Kawasaki dirt bikes (8:20). Then, he got to the part about AWD traction and showed the SC on a boat ramp (10:00). Suddenly, SWMBO jumps up and said "Did he just drown those dirt bikes?"

What do you think? No peeking!

OK, go back and check it out. How did you do as an eye witness to the crime?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Has anyone posted one from the SEL/SE trims yet?
This press junket was all fully loaded Limiteds.

Who else wants a Baja wrap for their SC? :D
That Photoshop job wins the internet for today :cool:

Best quote in The Smoking Tire video, it pretty much sums up what the SC is...
"This is a practical solution to many peoples problems, question is will buyers be practical?"

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone seen a review that includes towing?

The Frontier reviews also came out today. There was a tester available to reviewers that included a 2022 Frontier hooked up to a 5000lb+ boat, which has a 6700lb max tow rating.

Would be really keen to see tests of the Cruz tugging 3500lb-4000lbs. The 80% rule given its 5000lb rating.

·
Registered
603 Posts
That Photoshop job wins the internet for today :cool:
Best quote in The Smoking Tire video, it pretty much sums up what the SC is...
"This is a practical solution to many peoples problems, question is will buyers be practical?"
+1 for the Baja Halloween mask on the SC!
Also, Smoking Tire's Zack really "get's it" about the SC's appeal. Over and over, I found myself thinking, "Yes! Exactly right." Especially when he went into the brilliance of including the tonneau right from the factory -- he nailed it.

One mistake that he did make was the generalization that the SC's strongest appeal will be to 30-something beach bums; I might well be the most ancient geezer on this forum, but I think the age distribution of interested parties is much broader; there are a lot of middle-agers and up here. Reminds me of the Element rool-out, when Honda also expected their core audience to be Santa Cruz, CA surfers.

Also, once the soccer moms start seeing these around town - hang on tight!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Would be really keen to see tests of the Cruz tugging 3500lb-4000lbs. The 80% rule given its 5000lb rating.
I too am highly anticipating a real towing test. And I know many will want to see a true off road challenge. These reviews were clearly a press event in which Hyundai kept everyone on a tight leash in a nice predefined and controlled environment. One reason why is you don't want to give some towing rookie a big load and send them on their way. Hyundai can't risk the review becoming some catastrophic failure. I drove "off road" once in a Wrangler and our guide made sure there was nothing challenging - I think I could have driven the course in pretty much ANY vehicle, it was super easy to ensure nobody got in trouble.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts