Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acceleration from a stop in the SC is ... well, just okay. And what makes it seem slower to me is the thrashing sound from the engine. Now, once you're rolling, everything settles down and the truck feels pretty lively.

My first Kia Stinger was a 2.0T, a sister to this 2.5T engine. It made pleasant sounds and it was quick off the line. In fact, I could jump pretty much anyone off the line but a real performance car. But this 2.5T engine is a little more "relaxed".

Point is, I guess I expected more from the 2.5T, even though it's a truck, because it has 36hp and 41 ft-lbs of torque more than the 2.0T. And I wish they could have tamed that engine sound.

Okay, that's my negativity for the day!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Seems to match the results of the drag race posted to YouTube this week against the Honda Ridgeline (SC not fast off the line, but caught up fast and left the Ridgeline in the dust).

If/when I get a SC, I'll be coming from a PHEV (Chevy Volt). I know I'm gonna miss that instant torque and power, but I really want a truck again (just don't need a big one). Maybe by the time I get around to buying they'll have a PHEV version of the SC, although I'm sure that'll have its own set of compromises.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't get me wrong, nojovo, the Santa Cruz isn't a dog. I came from a V6 twin-turbo Kia Stinger, and I'm sure part of it is just getting adjusted. I have only 1100 miles on the truck, too, so I figure it will loosen up a little before long. In fact, I'm about to take a 2500-mile road trip in it, and that should limber things up a bit.

I've not driven a Volt, but I think the Santa Cruz will give you what you need. Drive one and see what you think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Acceleration from a stop in the SC is ... well, just okay. And what makes it seem slower to me is the thrashing sound from the engine. Now, once you're rolling, everything settles down and the truck feels pretty lively.

My first Kia Stinger was a 2.0T, a sister to this 2.5T engine. It made pleasant sounds and it was quick off the line. In fact, I could jump pretty much anyone off the line but a real performance car. But this 2.5T engine is a little more "relaxed".

Point is, I guess I expected more from the 2.5T, even though it's a truck, because it has 36hp and 41 ft-lbs of torque more than the 2.0T. And I wish they could have tamed that engine sound.

Okay, that's my negativity for the day!
Remember the SC is a hair away from 5k lbs...

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
I was at a rolling start when I decided I needed to merge into another lane.... My FWD broke loose the front tire/tires.... I'm happy with the power. But then I'm an old fart and don't need a race car, I would just get tickets lol.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
Quick acceleration from a stop isn't an issue with the base SE & SEL naturally aspirated models. When I'm at the front of a stop light I constantly leave the crowd of cars in my rear view mirror and don't even realize I'm going 50-60mph on city streets. It appears only the Turbo/DCT models lag off the start. After they get going, they leave the base SE & SEL in the dust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at a rolling start when I decided I needed to merge into another lane.... My FWD broke loose the front tire/tires.... I'm happy with the power. But then I'm an old fart and don't need a race car, I would just get tickets lol.
That’s OK, us old farts like to get on it once in awhile, I love the turbo!

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
683 Posts
I'm pretty ok with the hp, torque and delivery. Having owned a (garage queen) 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T ex cab for over 15 years, I can say that the performance of the SC is just a tad quicker both 0-60mph, and 1/4 mile; along with almost 10 mpg better at the pump (and no premium fuel required!). Is either one the fastest car I have owned? Definitely not. Is the SC as fun to drive? Probably not. Is the SC a better vehicle to live with? Absolutely. :)

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
22 SC SEL AWD activity package, '21 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax
457 Posts
I'm pretty ok with the hp, torque and delivery. Having owned a (garage queen) 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T ex cab for over 15 years, I can say that the performance of the SC is just a tad quicker both 0-60mph, and 1/4 mile; along with almost 10 mpg better at the pump (and no premium fuel required!). Is either one the fastest car I have owned? Definitely not. Is the SC as fun to drive? Probably not. Is the SC a better vehicle to live with? Absolutely. :)
If you have the turbo model the 0-60 is like 6 seconds and it wasn't to long ago that was sports car fast. Sports cars are only doing 0-60 in 3.5-4 seconds so if ya think about it, is it really that slow? And the NA SEL goes 0-60 in like 7.5-8 seconds still not to shabby for what it is. My NA SEL has absolutely plenty of power for everything I need it for. That being said if I need more power I just hop in my 21 duramax 8000lb truck that can do 0-60 7.5 seconds faster if I spool up turbo and launch in 4wd. 🤣

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
683 Posts
If you have the turbo model the 0-60 is like 6 seconds and it wasn't to long ago that was sports car fast. Sports cars are only doing 0-60 in 3.5-4 seconds so if ya think about it, is it really that slow? And the NA SEL goes 0-60 in like 7.5-8 seconds still not to shabby for what it is. My NA SEL has absolutely plenty of power for everything I need it for. That being said if I need more power I just hop in my 21 duramax 8000lb truck that can do 0-60 7.5 seconds faster if I spool up turbo and launch in 4wd. 🤣
Yeah, that was my point: the SC is not far off the mark from other cars & trucks I have owned that were performance vehicles for their time. These included American Muscle such as (the aforementioned) Dakota R/T, an IROC-Z, Mustang Cobra. Also, Sport Luxury sedans: Infiniti M45 Sport and Genesis 5.0.

Reactions: Tedsky18045
1 - 10 of 10 Posts