Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford exceeded their already high around town estimate:
Product Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot

Looking closely, the base stripper model XL also comes with neat features such as 4G hotspot and Fordpass Remotestart:

Product Organism Font Line Screenshot

So adding just $540 to the build price for the CoPilot 360 to gain blind spot and lane keeping system with auto emergency braking, along with a $500 spray-in bedliner and $100 hitch w/ 4-pin wired connection, you've got a decent little city truck for just $22,600 MSRP including destination which will be great for small businesses.

For those that don't need AWD, Ford did a really good job IMO at the entry level segment.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
Friend visited a Ford dealer and was able to see a Hybrid that was going from dealer to dealer for training. They weren't letting anyone test drive that one. The Ford dealer training rep told him he was averaging 37mpg with it. (y) That's just what the sticker you posted says.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I've finally looked at the Maverick in person now too. I don't care what the EPA numbers are, or the real world mileage for that matter, it's possibly THE single most boring vehicle on any dealer lot right now. There is not a single thing about it that stands out in ANY way. You'll never notice one driving down the street. It'll be there ... bland and invisible. Police should seriously consider using them for stakeouts - because nobody would notice they were even there.

I suppose that's a thing some people want. They sure won't have to deal with random strangers stopping you on the street or in stores to ask you about your ride. They won't have to see heads spin around as you pass by. They won't have to see the faces of young ladies yelling, "oh my god! Look at that little truck!" Hey - it's the little things that make us middle-age folk excited, k?? LOL

I honestly thought the Maverick looked better in photos than it does on the street. It is boring AF. I'm really glad I didn't let the little voice of fiscal reason talk me into ordering an XLT FX4 4k Tow version to save a few grand and spend the next decade wishing I'd have bought a Santa Cruz. Even in person ... it just looks like ... a dollar store truck. Boring looks, cheap looking recycled plastic pop bottle interior, stodgy looking dash ... just a bit bucket of 'meh.' At least IMPO. YMMV.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've finally looked at the Maverick in person now too. I don't care what the EPA numbers are, or the real world mileage for that matter, it's possibly THE single most boring vehicle on any dealer lot right now. There is not a single thing about it that stands out in ANY way. You'll never notice one driving down the street. It'll be there ... bland and invisible. Police should seriously consider using them for stakeouts - because nobody would notice they were even there.

I suppose that's a thing some people want. They sure won't have to deal with random strangers stopping you on the street or in stores to ask you about your ride. They won't have to see heads spin around as you pass by. They won't have to see the faces of young ladies yelling, "oh my god! Look at that little truck!" Hey - it's the little things that make us middle-age folk excited, k?? LOL

I honestly thought the Maverick looked better in photos than it does on the street. It is boring AF. I'm really glad I didn't let the little voice of fiscal reason talk me into ordering an XLT FX4 4k Tow version to save a few grand and spend the next decade wishing I'd have bought a Santa Cruz. Even in person ... it just looks like ... a dollar store truck. Boring looks, cheap looking recycled plastic pop bottle interior, stodgy looking dash ... just a bit bucket of 'meh.' At least IMPO. YMMV.
Yikes! Did the Maverick spit in your Cherrios? 😂

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Impressive city MPG… to me it looks better in person. Still wouldn’t buy one, looks too much like a truck! 🤪
They will sell very well and out sell SC by significant margin… SC wasn’t meant to be a volume seller anyway.
I curious if the EPA number was achieved with premium fuel, as the owners manual recommends. Like the Ford Escape it’s based on, it runs on 87, but recommends premium.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
I drove a Maverick XLT non-Hybrid...And I felt the same way..underwhelmed with the interior.. Yes it had power the 2.0T is 6.5sec 0-60 was a rocket but the interior was boring and the seats were uncomfortable for me.. The hybrid has the same power as my SE so it should be about the same in power/speed maybe a little faster off the line due to the Electric motor. But very boring interior.. I did like the truck looks.
But I'm enjoying the power and ride of the SE.. I like the snappy driving of the shorter wheelbase...and the firm handling of the bumps...dips in the the road.. Sure mine is the base model..But that's what I wanted...KISS

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I curious if the EPA number was achieved with premium fuel, as the owners manual recommends. Like the Ford Escape it’s based on, it runs on 87, but recommends premium.
Premium fuel usually matters more for peak horsepower or towing fuel economy, not EPA cycle because its so low duty anyway so not in conditions that would contribute to knock sensitivity. But either way, the Ecoboost recommends premium, the Hybrid 2.5 should not.
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

Another side perk of the hybrid in the Ford is that while most of the Ford warranty is poor compared to the Hyundai, by law it has to have a 8 year 100K mile hybrid component warranty, so you have a longer battery and transmission and other related component warranty than normal which is nice. I'm hoping this encourages Hyundai to offer the Santa Cruz in a hybrid or once supply shortages are over to start offering factory incentives by late 2022.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Premium fuel usually matters more for peak horsepower or towing fuel economy, not EPA cycle because its so low duty anyway so not in conditions that would contribute to knock sensitivity. But either way, the Ecoboost recommends premium, the Hybrid 2.5 should not.
View attachment 3546
Another side perk of the hybrid in the Ford is that while most of the Ford warranty is poor compared to the Hyundai, by law it has to have a 8 year 100K mile hybrid component warranty, so you have a longer battery and transmission and other related component warranty than normal which is nice. I'm hoping this encourages Hyundai to offer the Santa Cruz in a hybrid or once supply shortages are over to start offering factory incentives by late 2022.
I agree,,,, When they come out with a Hybrid and they will, I'll probably trade up...
I'm super glad Ford/Hyundai finally figured out not everyone needs a "Truck or even a Monster Truck" when the bed probably hardly ever holds anything other then family-Friends-Neighbors stuff..
I did park my Santa Cruz next to my bosses Saturn(mid-size car/like a Malibu) and the Santa Cruz looked "BIG" next to it.. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts

The interior was horrible and that was on an XLT they had on the lot. Not impressed at all.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
View attachment 3546
Interesting, just had a look at Escape and Maverick (hybrid/eco) owners manual and they both recommend premium for the hybrids
Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, just had a look at Escape and Maverick (hybrid/eco) owners manual and they both recommend premium for the hybrids View attachment 3550
Because there is no such thing as a hybrid owner's manual unfortunately, causing some confusion. The ecoboost and hybrid are the same owner's manual, if you scroll up you'll see them talking about the Ecoboost 1.5L and 2.0L in the same hybrid owner's manual.

They just made one owner's manual for all engine options.

I feel confident you can drive around the 2.5H on 87 and get the rated fuel economy. Even turbocharged engines under relaxed driving shouldn't see a big fuel economy difference with different octanes, but they can see a peak horsepower and torque difference.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Because there is no such thing as a hybrid owner's manual unfortunately, causing some confusion. The ecoboost and hybrid are the same owner's manual, if you scroll up you'll see them talking about the Ecoboost 1.5L and 2.0L in the same hybrid owner's manual.

They just made one owner's manual for all engine options.

I feel confident you can drive around the 2.5H on 87 and get the rated fuel economy. Even turbocharged engines under relaxed driving shouldn't see a big fuel economy difference with different octanes, but they can see a peak horsepower and torque difference.
Yes, the owners manual is combinEd as one, there’s a section for the hybrid system.
I don’t doubt, you can get the EPA on 87, as many Escape owners are reporting above EPA numbers…

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
One of the great things about the FWD Ford Maverick Hybrid is that it is Flat Towable. The Maverick won't tow much in that form, but I suspect a lot will be towed (Let the Found On Road Dead jokes begin). I mean towed behind a motorhome... Snow birds rejoice!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ford has done a great thing..With the Hybrid Mini-Truck... But I'm thinking they are just following Hyundai since the Santa Cruz Idea has been around since 2015 more or less... Ford had to step it up or be left behind....The card up the sleeve was the Hybrid as a Base model. Good Hand Ford!!
But then that also is bad for anyone who buys a base model or a Maverick in any form.... These will be rentals..Fleet..etc., Every tom dick and harry Vendor will have one with their logo's plaster all over it...."Jim's Plumbing...."Shocking Electric", Betty's Floral"..."Chicago Pizza", Uber, Your going to be driving your Lariat FX4 when Jim's Plumbing XL pulls up next to you, blowing your cool....LOL
No I'll keep my Interesting. Visionary Santa Cruz...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was looking at the Maverick Hybrid and then I remember that my Buddy has gone through 3 transmissions on Ford Fusion Hybrid and that last time they talked him into buying a new Fuson at steep discounts and trading in the car. I think I will wait on a Ford.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was looking at the Maverick Hybrid and then I remember that my Buddy has gone through 3 transmissions on Ford Fusion Hybrid and that last time they talked him into buying a new Fuson at steep discounts and trading in the car. I think I will wait on a Ford.
You're sure its a hybrid?

The Ford eCVT is a licensed version of the Toyota Prius transmission, the most reliable transmission on the planet right now. No belts or chains or anything, just planetary gears.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're sure its a hybrid?

The Ford eCVT is a licensed version of the Toyota Prius transmission, the most reliable transmission on the planet right now. No belts or chains or anything, just planetary gears.
Yup and saw pictures of the inners of the transmission the first one was a complete failure and looked a grenade went off.

·
Registered
SEL Premium Hampton Grey
132 Posts
For my wife's terrain, it was recommended to use 91. When she used it, she was getting 3 mpg better than regular, so there is a difference in mpg with octane ratings.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts