Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an FYI,
Make sure the dealer gives you the 7 pin plug plate after installing your 4 pin flat. Mine got lost at Dahl in lacrosse. After calling for replacement dealer said the part is only available with the kit and I should go to farm and barn for a replacement. I can make it happen but sure seems like this shouldn't be my proplem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I am assuming the 7 pin connection is for adding a brake controller, since the 4 pin only covers the lights. After spending a few hours researching and watching videos, the 4 pin is "plug and play", but nothing that I have found shows a 7 pin hook up.

·
Registered
2022 Limited
155 Posts
So I am assuming the 7 pin connection is for adding a brake controller, since the 4 pin only covers the lights. After spending a few hours researching and watching videos, the 4 pin is "plug and play", but nothing that I have found shows a 7 pin hook up.
It’s also plug and play. There’s a video of a woman doing the install that’s been posted a few times. Very easy to follow. Pop open a cover, plug in the connector, close the cover and you’re done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s also plug and play. There’s a video of a woman doing the install that’s been posted a few times. Very easy to follow. Pop open a cover, plug in the connector, close the cover and you’re done.
I assume this is the video? I've watched it a couple of times and as she says, it's a KIA wiring harness. I have watched other videos as well, including the video showing from Hyundai towing a "Airstream Basecamp" trailer, which is one I am interested in purchasing, so do I need to add a controller (since most travel trailers have electric brakes) or does the 7pin already fill that need?
(53) Trailer Hitch & Wiring Harness Installation on a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz - YouTube

·
Registered
2022 Limited
155 Posts
Yeah, that’s the video. The Kia 7-pin is the correct part. Hyundai, as far as I know, has yet to release an OEM one but if they do it’ll be the same as the Kia one with the logo sticker swapped out. It plugs right in and works perfectly. I just used it last week.

As for a brake controller; Yes, that is a separate thing. Some folks hardwire one in, while others, like me, use a Bluetooth controller. I use the Curt Echo and it’s excellent. I definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL
8 Posts
I installed my Curt hitch today, great quality and fit. $212.99 plus tax shipped to me from NAPA. Curt 4 pin wiring harness for $40.67 from Amazon yet to install.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also installed the Curt hitch today and it was relatively easy solo. Nice finish and perfect fit. Haven’t done the 4 pin harness yet but hopefully it’s simple too. For a total under $300, what’s not to like!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really don't care, but I always look for Value when I buy something.... This may not be important to you or others... There are times when you need to pay a premium to get something you want because of a supplier or availability issue. This (the hitch) is not that time..
Put a u-haul hitch on my old Subaru, it was trash. Rusted in less than a year, rubbed on the exhaust, and by the 5 year point I had to cut it off. I don’t know it the OEM version would have faired better, but at 10 years the factory one on my ford looked just fine

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL
8 Posts
Curt may or may not have been your uhaul hitch. All I know is the Curt hitch I bought fit great and is a quality product. Hyundai I doubt builds their own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up my SC this week and it had a 7 pin flat connector on a Bracket that was a fair distance from the receiver, which looks a bit odd to me. The receiver was 2”, not the 1-1/2 my salesman initially reported for some SCs. I also received a hitch ball mount and a trailer brake wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I just picked up my SC this week and it had a 7 pin flat connector on a Bracket that was a fair distance from the receiver, which looks a bit odd to me. The receiver was 2”, not the 1-1/2 my salesman initially reported for some SCs.
Salesman was clueless because its always been a 2" receiver. And yes the mounting bracket on the factory setup is way out in left field (literally).

·
Registered
2022 Limited
155 Posts
I’m the only one I’ve seen banging this particular drum, but I’ll state it again: The left placement of the harness bracket makes a lot of sense given the placement of the spare tire and the routing of the wiring loom for the harness if the bracket were placed right next to the hitch receiver. Yes, the OEM placement looks odd at a glance, but it was the correct place to put it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Using the correct Hyundai harness left plenty of room to run the wiring along the rigid framing of the bumper without any obstruction to the spare wheel. Looks better next to the hitch too! Personal opinion counts on and individual basis!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts