1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Overall score after 3 months and 1500 miles:
Started out at 9.5 - Now 7.5

Reasons for drop:
  • Infotainment (great sound but UI is lacking)
  • DCT
  • Fuel economy

I’ll keep it. Nothing is perfect…

How about you?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As someone looking for a Limited, what don't you like about the DCT?
I have driven every kind of car and truck there is imaginable over the past 50 years and purchased hundreds of vehicles for my business fleet over the past 40 years. The best way I can describe the DCT is quirky and strange. At a minimum, it’s definitely different.

This is my first personal Hyundai (though I did buy 4 or 5 of them for my business years ago when they were $8-9K new for sales cars)… I sort of considered them disposable back then.

If you put your foot in it there is significant (what I guess is turbo) lag then, it seems like it takes forever to come down out of the high rev’s long after you’ve taken your foot off the gas pedal… It’s hard to explain... Also the rolling when you don’t expect an automatic transmission to roll after shifting from drive to reverse and back that still bothers me a little. I know “DCTs do that” but Overall it seems very unrefined to me.

Also, not having seat memory or armrest in the backseat are two things this truck should have.

Don’t give me wrong, I’m going to keep the truck. I can get use to it all but it’s just quirky.

I would do yourself a favor and take a long test drive. See if you can keep one overnight.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Reasons for drop:
  • DCT
  • Fuel economy

How about you?
I’m not sure how I would arrive at a number. However, I‘m quite satisfied with my SC after 1000km.
I wasn’t expecting great fuel economy - I‘m good with it. It’s a truck after all.
DCT works well for me, I’m glad it’s not a traditional slush box and not. CVT. I get it, DCT isn’t for everyone, especially those needing to crawl when towing And it’s never going to be smooth as a traditional transmissio, but it’s efficient (partly why the turbo has the same EPA mpg rating as non-turbo. It’s quick to shift when needed, paddle shifters are responsive and doesn’t have the delay of the traditional transmission. When you’re going 120km/h and you want to pass its responsive. The only thing I have to criticize is that sometimes in normal mode, the rev hangs a bit as the programming tries to figure out what to do next.
For a small truck, it’s got good horse power and torque, it doesn’t leave me wanting more. It’s not the 0-60 time. It’s the ability to pass at highway speed that’s impressive
I wish it had a real rear locking differential.
Hate the piano black
for ascetics, I wish there was a hood over the instrument cluster (digital)
Storage space under the shifter, like Tuscan would have been nice. Larger door pockets…

These are all minor stuff. Over all I’m quite satisfied with my SC

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you put your foot in it there is significant (what I guess is turbo) lag then, it seems like it takes forever to come down out of the high rev’s long after you’ve taken your foot off the gas pedal… It’s hard to explain...
Which drive mode? I assume shifting with paddles would help (somewhat?) over come these problems. What I am trying to understand is this a transmission programming problem vs a how the DCT functions. One of things I hate about traditional automatic slush box is wait between gears changes. A DCT should shift very quickly in comparison. As long as the paddles provide instant shifts I can get over the poor programming myself by pulling a paddle. For example if you force a downshift that should help spool the turbo and if the revs climb too much or too long then just upshift. I've driven mostly manual transmission cars my whole life and I know make better decisions then the computer.

I don't even own a SC yet but already know the lack of driver seat & mirror memory settings will always be at the top of my WTF list on this vehicle :mad:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Which drive mode? I assume shifting with paddles would help (somewhat?) over come these problems. What I am trying to understand is this a transmission programming problem vs a how the DCT functions. One of things I hate about traditional automatic slush box is wait between gears changes. A DCT should shift very quickly in comparison. As long as the paddles provide instant shifts I can get over the poor programming myself by pulling a paddle. For example if you force a downshift that should help spool the turbo and if the revs climb too much or too long then just upshift. I've driven mostly manual transmission cars my whole life and I know make better decisions then the computer.

I don't even own a SC yet but already know the lack of driver seat & mirror memory settings will always be at the top of my WTF list on this vehicle :mad:
I experience, slight rev hang at times, not all the time in both Sport and Normal (don’t use smart). I think it’s a programming issue as it‘s seems unsure of what the driver intent is. I find programming in other DCT is similar as the programming can’t keep up when ”unpredictable” drive input is involved. No issues, when using the paddles for me, shifts quick and if you have the rpm’s in the power curve, no turbo lag.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
352 Posts
I have an SEL AWD so don't have to deal with the DCT or turbo. I've only test drove turbos in the past and always was disappointed with the feeling or a "windup" lag. It just seemed there wasn't the instant acceleration that I was expecting. Remembering those thoughts, I was never interested in the turbo model SC.

I would give my SC a 9. I still love it. My only ding is the highway mileage. I also have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport and regularly get upper 20's low 30's MPG. This is interstate driving with cruise control set at 77-78 MPH. This is above EPA estimates and I guess I was expecting the same kind of response with the SC. I've only got 1500 miles on it so far, maybe it will get better as the engine further breaks in.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
47 Posts
I have the SEL AWD without the activity package. I have put on my hitch, upgraded led headlights, tonneau cover, and the led sequential rear turn signals bar. I have almost 4K miles and have the combined city/hwy at around 28mpgs. This was a vehicle I had wanted every since I heard it was coming out. It does everything I need it for. It may not be a perfect score for everyone but it is a great score for me to keep and enjoy this unique vehicle offered by Hyundai. 2 thumbs up!!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I find, after 2.5 months with the DCT that 'regular' automatics now feel like CVTs to me and CVTs ... well, I haven't touched one in a long time now, hope to keep it that way.

I have just over 9,100km on mine now, and it's everything I expected, mostly. Fuel economy is spot on what I expected. Comfort is every bit what I expected after my test drive a couple of weeks before mine showed up. Power is fantastic. Shifts are quick.

There ARE a few things that absolutely baffle me though. Like what, you say? Like how the dash lights up and sirens blare if you dare to leave the brunk lid open while driving, yet when your engine is down 4L (qt in the US) of oil, because the tech decided hey, let's not put the filler cap back on the engine and leave it under the beauty cover for our out-of-town customer the oil light doesn't come on until after you stop for a bit and restart ... and then, all you get is a VERY small oil can symbol in the lower left corner of the dash with NO AUDIBLE WARNING OR INFO SCREEN MESSAGE AT ALL! So, in Hyundai programmer world ... open brunk lid - world will soon end if you don't act. Open oil filler cap blowing oil all over your engine bay for 120km down the highway ... very tiny little light on the cluster. (Ask my how my first service went on Friday ... dare ya. LOL Yes, the manager called me by the time I got home, and before I had a chance to call him when I got off the road. He was very good about wanting to make it right ASAP. That tech had a bad day though. Service manager had a few 'pardon my French' moments on the phone when I called. LOL)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I know “DCTs do that” but Overall it seems very unrefined to me.
Not all DCTs do that, some have brake hold systems to compensate, where it applies the parking brake or regular brakes until you give it gas.

Since the SC has auto-hold, I'm surprised the logic isn't applying the brakes until it gets rolling to avoid that.

Even my old super cheap Fiat 500 had that on the manual transmission, it kept you from rolling backwards on a steep hill when you took your foot off the brake to give it gas.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
So, in Hyundai programmer world ... open brunk lid - world will soon end if you don't act. Open oil filler cap blowing oil all over your engine bay for 120km down the highway ... very tiny little light on the cluster.
YIKES :censored:

And stories like yours is why I do my own regular maintenance.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
943 Posts
I find, after 2.5 months with the DCT that 'regular' automatics now feel like CVTs to me and CVTs ... well, I haven't touched one in a long time now, hope to keep it that way.

I have just over 9,100km on mine now, and it's everything I expected, mostly. Fuel economy is spot on what I expected. Comfort is every bit what I expected after my test drive a couple of weeks before mine showed up. Power is fantastic. Shifts are quick.

There ARE a few things that absolutely baffle me though. Like what, you say? Like how the dash lights up and sirens blare if you dare to leave the brunk lid open while driving, yet when your engine is down 4L (qt in the US) of oil, because the tech decided hey, let's not put the filler cap back on the engine and leave it under the beauty cover for our out-of-town customer the oil light doesn't come on until after you stop for a bit and restart ... and then, all you get is a VERY small oil can symbol in the lower left corner of the dash with NO AUDIBLE WARNING OR INFO SCREEN MESSAGE AT ALL! So, in Hyundai programmer world ... open brunk lid - world will soon end if you don't act. Open oil filler cap blowing oil all over your engine bay for 120km down the highway ... very tiny little light on the cluster. (Ask my how my first service went on Friday ... dare ya. LOL Yes, the manager called me by the time I got home, and before I had a chance to call him when I got off the road. He was very good about wanting to make it right ASAP. That tech had a bad day though. Service manager had a few 'pardon my French' moments on the phone when I called. LOL)
Apart from diving Ontario's version of the Amoco Cadiz, how come you went 120km and not smell something was off? a few fumes in the cab? Sounds like some slick driving go on.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Apart from diving Ontario's version of the Amoco Cadiz, how come you went 120km and not smell something was off? a few fumes in the cab? Sounds like some slick driving go on.
Honestly, didn't get a whiff of anything unusual until I was stopped. Even after stopping, the fumes dissipated as soon as I got moving again. Once rolling, it clears out very quickly. Apparently the airflow through the grill sucks everything out underneath. I suppose if there was anywhere between when I left and when I arrived that involved slowing or stopping it would have been different.

·
Registered
493 Posts
How about you?
After 3 months, I'm a 9 out of 10 with my Stone Blue SEL P.

No complaints overall with the SC. Tonneau cover is a bit hard to slide despite lubricating the tracks. The top of the tailgate edge is getting scarred with the sliding out of equipment from the bed... that is a nothing new as my full size trucks had the edge wreaked over the years.

I dropped to a 9 due to the delays with the towing "package", which seems to be getting better. I feel like Hyundai dropped the ball on having them ready to go day one. (Availability of 7 pin harness, reasonable cost (Curt is half OEM price) and just a general knowledge/acknowledgement about the towing options.

The 18 inch tires are ... ok ... but an optional AT tire selection would be nice. I'm going to replace the Kumho's with the new BFG Trail Terrain AT.

The power of the Turbo is surprisingly good. Driving the SC is a whole bunch of fun and reminds me of my Elantra GT.

Everything else is good, no issues mechanically or complains about the warning lights. This is my 4th Hyundai. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sorry all, been out of town. I have pretty much left mine in Smart mode since I purchased this Little beauty. I haven't really use the paddles or sport mode etc. just been taking it easy through the break in period.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
I would rate my SE FWD 2.5 N/A as a 9 it has more to do with the engine/auto:
Engine is noisy
Tranny needs an Eco-Mode in the SE models... Hey Hyundai...People who buy a SE-FWD because they want to save money or don't need/want a turbo or AWD but being conservative they want Better MPG.....ECO-Mode Please
Batten up the doors....they sound hollow/Cheap when opening and shutting

Something I found today.... on the wiper control arm you have a lever that you use for speed well mine has the same lever on the back side so you can use your thumb and index finger to adjust speed of the wipers...Good design :)

·
Registered
10 Posts

Reasons for drop:
  • DCT
  • Fuel economy

How about you?
I just drove my SC Limited 1500 miles and my average was 25.5 mpg at 75 mph all highway. I have had 6 V6 engine Hyundais and this is the best mileage. I love my SC I just started to customize it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys, I am coming around on the DCT...
I wanted to get the truck broke in first so I took it out in sport mode and used the paddle shifters and I am very impressed as far as sport driving goes. really fun! I am raising my score to 8.5 😀
** Would have been a 9 but I'm dinging it .5 points because of Hyundai service. They overfilled the crankcase and left the engine cover off at the first oil change. Pretty sad

1 - 20 of 44 Posts