Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local Dealership in Little Rock, AR this morning (07-08-2021) to view a SC SEL FWD in Stone Blue they had on the lot for sale. I just wanted to see one in person and it was also the color I requested.
Looked at Sticker and it was $28,375.00 from Hyundai + $1650.00 Dealer installed package + $3500.00 MARKET ADJUSTMENT. For a total of $33,525.00.
Are you freaking kidding me???
I ordered a SE AWD and I'm expecting to pay $26,675.00 and that is supposed to include the destination charge.
Am I naive or just what is going on here.
What are others seeing???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to my local Dealership in Little Rock, AR this morning (07-08-2021) to view a SC SEL FWD in Stone Blue they had on the lot for sale. I just wanted to see one in person and it was also the color I requested.
Looked at Sticker and it was $28,375.00 from Hyundai + $1650.00 Dealer installed package + $3500.00 MARKET ADJUSTMENT. For a total of $33,525.00.
Are you freaking kidding me???
I ordered a SE AWD and I'm expecting to pay $26,675.00 and that is supposed to include the destination charge.
Am I naive or just what is going on here.
What are others seeing???
Meant to say August 8, 2021. Sorry.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The closest Limited AWD SC to me is in SE California and the dealer has a 5K Market Adjustment on it. That puts it just over 47K.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I inquired about Hampton Gray Limiteds coming within a week to my area. One stealership wanted $4k over MSRP; the other was a whopping $10k over MSRP. :eek:

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz - Blue Stone / SEL Premium
33 Posts
After some research I found a dealer that promised no market adjustment or other bologna charges. Some good dealers are out there, I hope you have a few around you to do some shopping!

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
Here in Texas, dealers can't even sell SEL at MSRP. We have more than half a dozen that have been sitting on the lot for more than a week now in central Texas. I think next week or so some can be had for a small discount off MSRP I bet.

SE is pretty hard to find, Hyundai is not producing many of them.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
484 Posts
Here in Texas, dealers can't even sell SEL at MSRP. We have more than half a dozen that have been sitting on the lot for more than a week now in central Texas. I think next week or so some can be had for a small discount off MSRP I bet.

SE is pretty hard to find, Hyundai is not producing many of them.
Same problem selling Ridgelines in Texas, those cowboys want the big rigs.

·
Administrator
103 Posts
Price gouging occurs when exorbitant prices are charged for necessities - that doesn't include a Hyundai Santa Cruz...or pretty much any automobile for that matter. :)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
484 Posts
Price gouging occurs when exorbitant prices are charged for necessities - that doesn't include a Hyundai Santa Cruz...or pretty much any automobile for that matter. :)
For example, when my local gas station raised gas prices by @2.00/gallon on 9/11

·
Registered
227 Posts
Price gouging is gouging. If it is fine on amenities, its fine on necessities. In each situation need/desire is dictated by willingness to pay extra. It is not very egalitarian, but with all else held equal how else do you determine who wants something more between a wealthier and poorer person? The best solution is limiting amount to be sold per person or to increase price by quantity, as this keeps people trying to dry up the market from doing so in a cost effective way, while maintaining the price for the average joe.

In this situation demand is generally capped at 1 per each person, so it makes sense that gouging would occur early on, but similar to any other situation of overpaying, those that do participate in the shenanigan's do set the tone for pricing until the rest of us hold firm. Its similar to strike breakers keeping wages a bit lower because they essentially mitigate the impact of the strike. People buying over MSRP are in a sense temporarily hurting the rest of us by giving credence to the idea that the car is worth this premium, while those who hold-out wait.

This is not intended to politically advocate or disparage any position, just an economics discussion of supply and demand when not in a vacuum.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just leave your name and number and telling them when they come down to 5-10% off MSRP call you......
After I test drive this one this week, I am going to tell them call me when they want to make a deal, and that I was going to buy over 1k of dealer add ons potential but there is no way I am doing that at a dealer trying to gouge me. Maybe throw in that if they want more for this then I want the same extra on my trade in.

Otherwise they can pound sand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My local dealer wants SEL premium money for an SEL ....I'll wait or go out of my area ....bought cars out of state before.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just leave your name and number and telling them when they come down to 5-10% off MSRP call you......
I once told a dealer to call me back at the end of the month when the car was still sitting there unsold and they were stuck with another round of floor planing payments. He laughed claiming it would be gone soon and that they "owned" the car so no floor plan (yeah right). About 2 weeks later my phone rings, suddenly its make-a-deal time. CarGurus.com lists days on the market and price drops over that period. This particular car hadn't moved in nearly 3 months, and the price got adjusted down every 2 weeks. So the data showed how this was going shake out. This was an out of state deal too so I was flying in to pickup the car once we agreed to terms.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My local dealer wants SEL premium money for an SEL ....I'll wait or go out of my area ....bought cars out of state before.
Its ridiculous. Had a guy ask for 5k over MSRP on an SEL Premium after their website said dealers price was MSRP. Told him he better fix their website and to take a hike. Told him I was willing to put a deposit down and drive 8 hours but only at MSRP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Florida and yeah they doing that here it’s because they are only getting one or two Santa Cruz’s at a time. I got mine msrp but that’s because I don’t mind Being a prick for the price I want. You can still get the msrp just hold tight to your demands or wait till they get more in stock at a time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I live in Florida and yeah they doing that here it’s because they are only getting one or two Santa Cruz’s at a time. I got mine msrp but that’s because I don’t mind Being a prick for the price I want. You can still get the msrp just hold tight to your demands or wait till they get more in stock at a time.
I have a speech prepared for Wednesday, if I need it. I may hate the car in person. Who knows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To all: Springfield Hyundai (PA) called today to say the SC SEL Premium AWD is in. MRSP is $37,290. Salesperson explained the $2,000 additional dealer charge. I countered offering to buy at MSRP. Discussed with manager and advised will not sell at MSRP. I told them to contact if they changed their minds.

1 - 20 of 370 Posts