Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
381 - 400 of 461 Posts
I paid that 5k adjustment for my Santa Cruz. I believe that's just the result of supply and demand. The only way this would disappear is if the buying public as a whole stopped purchasing at these prices altogether. Eventually the out the door prices will climb up so much that no one is willing to pay what the dealership is asking.

Individuals who are in better situations can afford to wait. But someone like me who lost their only vehicle in an accident is forced to participate in this market or risk the consequences of being long term without a vehicle. And i would rather get a brand new vehicle than pay the same price for a used truck with over 50k miles.

I paid that 5k adjustment for my Santa Cruz. I believe that's just the result of supply and demand. The only way this would disappear is if the buying public as a whole stopped purchasing at these prices altogether. Eventually the out the door prices will climb up so much that no one is willing to pay what the dealership is asking.

Individuals who are in better situations can afford to wait. But someone like me who lost their only vehicle in an accident is forced to participate in this market or risk the consequences of being long term without a vehicle. And i would rather get a brand new vehicle than pay the same price for a used truck with over 50k miles.
Hey, everyones situation is different. As long as you’re happy. I’m not one of those “I ONLY PAY MSRP“ guys, although I did pay MSRP, but in Canada, thats how it works when ordering from factory. What ever works for the individual Is all good.
i tried like **** to get dealer to drop below MSRP, but things are just different These days.
“newer” used cars are selling higher than new MSRP here in some cases.

Hey, everyones situation is different. As long as you’re happy. I’m not one of those “I ONLY PAY MSRP“ guys, although I did pay MSRP, but in Canada, thats how it works when ordering from factory. What ever works for the individual Is all good.
i tried like **** to get dealer to drop below MSRP, but things are just different These days.
“newer” used cars are selling higher than new MSRP here in some cases.

Biggest take away for me is that there is a HUGE advantage for people who can afford to wait by ordering from factory in this type of market. Like you I could have probably paid at MSRP plus fees had I been able to wait. Lots of good lessons learned down the road. If it aint a chip shortage, something else will come up.

I see me being able to land the Santa Cruz at the specs I wanted as a victory considering this is my first new vehicle purchase. Let alone a purchase from the dealer. All my prior vehicles have been used, private seller at over 15 years old at the time of purchase.

Btw, GTACruz that sage green looks sick. I personally haven't seen one in person. Just black, tan and the gray.

Biggest take away for me is that there is a HUGE advantage for people who can afford to wait by ordering from factory in this type of market. Like you I could have probably paid at MSRP plus fees had I been able to wait. Lots of good lessons learned down the road. If it aint a chip shortage, something else will come up.

I see me being able to land the Santa Cruz at the specs I wanted as a victory considering this is my first new vehicle purchase. Let alone a purchase from the dealer. All my prior vehicles have been used, private seller at over 15 years old at the time of purchase.

Btw, GTACruz that sage green looks sick. I personally haven't seen one in person. Just black, tan and the gray.
Thanks - placed my order with out seeing the Sage in person, only saw the white, sand and black. When it came down to pick the colour, my daughter shouted out ”Sage Grey” lol…
no option in Canada, but to wait, unless one was able to talk a dealer out of their demo and my dealer mentioned it’s not for sale (not that I was looking at getting a demo)

On a recent trip to FL (Kissimmee) stopped at Charleston, SC. I checked the inventory before left and saw a Limited Mojave Sand at Northern Charleston so wanted to see it in person. Was quite impressed with that color and liked it even better than the Blue Stone next to it as color doesn't change in the light/dark. The sticker had $7,197 of dealer installed items. Unfortunately while salesman was taking down too much of my personal data before negotiations, vehicle sold to couple from Daytona.
Someone bought an SC with $7K+ of accessories, they were insane. In three years that same vehicle will be worth at least $15K less as a trade.

still waiting for mine to arrive at Grappone and agree other dealership markups are insane. Did you buy their demo unit?
No Demo on property. Saw one in Connecticut in September after just buying a 2021 Santa Fe Sel. Went to see Sarah and asked if they had any coming in and put a deposit down on the Phantom black and sold Santa Fe. Long wait, Christmas early!

I got my limited for MSRP, here in Sussex NJ.
I'm curious what your experience with them was. I might buy another Hyundai when my wife needs to return her lease and they are close enough to me. My local dealer in Denville wouldn’t budge on 3k over and I don't think I would deal with them unless cars are much easier to come by next year.

Did you reserve or “order” the vehicle? Or did you just buy off the lot when their stock arrived.
I had called them a few times but they had no expectation when they might be allocated a Limited and I wasn’t sure how long the inflated value I was seeing for my Civic at Carmax would hold.

I'm curious what your experience with them was. I might buy another Hyundai when my wife needs to return her lease and they are close enough to me. My local dealer in Denville wouldn’t budge on 3k over and I don't think I would deal with them unless cars are much easier to come by next year.

Did you reserve or “order” the vehicle? Or did you just buy off the lot when their stock arrived.
I had called them a few times but they had no expectation when they might be allocated a Limited and I wasn’t sure how long the inflated value I was seeing for my Civic at Carmax would hold.
I did put a 1000$ reservation for a incoming Limited Santa Cruz. I got the vehicle after 3 weeks. Call Cris from Hyundai Sussex, nice sales person to deal with.

I did put a 1000$ reservation for a incoming Limited Santa Cruz. I got the vehicle after 3 weeks. Call Cris from Hyundai Sussex, nice sales person to deal with.
Thanks, I'll try them next time I am shopping.

I know its capitalism. But I feel like a lot of dealers are holding onto SC's for weeks that would normally sell instantly in the hope they can sell for 5k over. And while I can understand the impulse people like me probably buy or lease a car every 2 or 3 years. And I will remember and this market is likely not going to last forever.

Now that said if a dealer in my town wouldnt budge on 3k over but then in 2 years from now I'm shopping and they offer a better deal I would still take it. But I'm likely to find that deal somewhere else and they are no longer going to be my first stop.

FWIW I heard a couple commentators on the financial channels today stating they think the supply problems are over and we will soon have a supply glut; including new autos. I noticed calls/emails started coming in from all the dealers that I had contacted months ago to see if I was still intertested. My family has bought two Santa Cruz now at MSRP without issue. IMHO buyers are in control over what they pay. Simply don't pay more than what you want to and be willing to walk away if the dealer won't comply. They will be calling you back shortly or in the future. Buying becomes more difficult if you "need" a vehicle immediately.

FWIW I heard a couple commentators on the financial channels today stating they think the supply problems are over and we will soon have a supply glut; including new autos.
I don't think we are there yet. Even when the supply chain problems are fixed its not like thousands of vehicles are going to magically appear on lots overnight. I've been tracking SC units in my area since September and last week they climbed but are still short of the peak I recorded in mid Nov. We may be experiencing a second round of buying as people see these on the streets and become aware they are for sale.

The pickings are still very slim in my local area, checking about 8 dealers within 250 miles of me shows just 1 or 2 vehicles I would consider (Limited AWD in Sage or Blue). One dealer in particular still has an ADM of $1500 tacked on every unit. Most inventory is listed as "in transit" so time will tell if these units actually show themselves. I am trying to get one by years end but my confidence is not high.

Buying becomes more difficult if you "need" a vehicle immediately.
I didn't need a new vehicle on any sort of time frame. But I was gambling that resale values I was getting for my current vehicle might not hold forever.

I sold a 5 year old Civic with 53k miles for 20.4k to Carmax. Maybe if I had held out another couple months I could have done even better. But I can't see that prices like these on used cars will hold forever.

Eventually everybody with a car they aren't really using is going to catch on that they should sell their car. I've convinced more then one older family member with a car just sitting to sell now if they aren't using it. Enough people catch onto that it may affect the supply. Plus you will eventually run out of people able and willing to overpay that much.

381 - 400 of 461 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.