Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
We all wanted pricing. Now that we have it, there are more wrenches thrown into the ultimate decision. :cautious:
Depending on your "must have" features either the waters get very muddy or clear right up ;)

For the configuration I want the Mav is cheaper (by about $3-4k) but I can't stand its styling :sick: plus I want the extra power the SC offers. There are some features unique to the SC which gives it the edge... but of course your paying extra for those goodies.

My experience is the last thing you want to do is settle and cheap out because you'll just regret it later. I saved a whole $300 on my Dakota but not getting the temperature and compass display (unnecessary gizmo), then spent every day staring at the blank panel in the overhead console where that display should be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The addition of XM Sat. Radio to the SEL trim has me wanting to upgrade, but the $3,200 extra blows out my planned budget.
You can either just use the SiriusXM app on your phone and bluetooth it into the vehicle's audio system, or get one of the inexpensive SiriusXM receives and mount it to your dash. WAY WAY cheaper than forking out $3200, and using the app has the advantage of being able to take it with you anyway.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
The transmission in the SC is rough when moving slowly, at least on other vehicles where it is used.
I know I read somewhere that Hyundai says the DCT will be a bit rough for the first 1,000 miles or so. Can't remember where I saw it though. Makes sense that brand new clutch material would be extra grabby.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I really think the market will adjust itself down on the upper trims through dealer discounts, manufacturer rebates, etc, it's just a question of when. Right now with the wacky used market, and the chip shortage creating issues with new supply it may sell as fast as they can make them. But... hopefully those factors swing back to normal by the end of the year.

In the world of unibody 'trucks', at $36-40k for a Turbo AWD model they've gone quite a bit above the Maverick, and latched right on the heels of the Ridgeline. At $40k you're well into Tacoma/Frontier money and even nipping at lower trim full size trucks. If someone is looking at the SC with eyes of using it as a truck truck, there are plenty of compelling offerings at the same or less money.

I'm not looking at this because it's a truck, and I don't think most here are... so none of those really pique my interest anyway. I want something a little unique, sporty, fun to drive and reasonably practical. AWD is a big bonus too. The open bed is a plus for sure, but I don't need it. Before the SC, I was looking at the Crosstrek (so slow, but fun and spunky in a cheap and cheerful sort of way with the 6 speed trans), the WRX, and even a Civic Si (really don't want another sporty FWD car, but at least it has a good LSD). If Mazda hadn't ruined the styling of the CX-30 Turbo with that plastic body cladding I think it's an interesting option too.

When I take a step back and realize all of those are in the $25k-30k range... I have a hard time justifying an extra $5k-10k, even though the argument could be made that the SC is 'more' vehicle than the others. I could step down to the SE or SEL SC, but I think I'd forever regret not popping for the Turbo DCT.

We'll see what happens. I think the SE and SEL are priced about right, but that big jump to SEL Premium and Limited is a little more than I think the market will tolerate long term. Hopefully I'm right and I can scoop one up towards the end of the year for $3-5k off MSRP, but I think I will sit tight and see what happens for a while...

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Depending on your "must have" features either the waters get very muddy or clear right up ;)

For the configuration I want the Mav is cheaper (by about $3-4k) but I can't stand its styling :sick: plus I want the extra power the SC offers. There are some features unique to the SC which gives it the edge... but of course your paying extra for those goodies.

My experience is the last thing you want to do is settle and cheap out because you'll just regret it later. I saved a whole $300 on my Dakota but not getting the temperature and compass display (unnecessary gizmo), then spent every day staring at the blank panel in the overhead console where that display should be.
Clear waters for me at first. Everything fell into line as expected with price. Then I started looking at the detailed features of the SE vs. SEL. SE only gets auto-down on the drivers window. WTF? My 2012 Mini Cooper base model hatchback had auto-up/down windows and XM! That was 10 years ago.

Waters got cloudy this morning, requiring more thought that I really didn't want to think about anymore.

You can either just use the SiriusXM app on your phone and bluetooth it into the vehicle's audio system, or get one of the inexpensive SiriusXM receives and mount it to your dash. WAY WAY cheaper than forking out $3200, and using the app has the advantage of being able to take it with you anyway.
I'm okay with adding an aftermarket XM setup, but it's a PITA. The phone app won't really work for me, because the whole reason I want it is to get a Sat. feed when the radio and/or phone signal isn't available. I've been intrigued by the XM setups that have a removeable face for years, which give you the ability to use the receiver in car or home. If I go SE, then I may revisit that setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see the configurator adds a new trim called SEL Premium that has turbo engine with regular non-DCT transmission and 2WD. It comes with activity Package. Pricing is not listed for the trim, but I am hoping it comes in around $30K or less.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really think the market will adjust itself down on the upper trims through dealer discounts, manufacturer rebates, etc, it's just a question of when. Right now with the wacky used market, and the chip shortage creating issues with new supply it may sell as fast as they can make them. But... hopefully those factors swing back to normal by the end of the year.

In the world of unibody 'trucks', at $36-40k for a Turbo AWD model they've gone quite a bit above the Maverick, and latched right on the heels of the Ridgeline. At $40k you're well into Tacoma/Frontier money and even nipping at lower trim full size trucks. If someone is looking at the SC with eyes of using it as a truck truck, there are plenty of compelling offerings at the same or less money.

I'm not looking at this because it's a truck, and I don't think most here are... so none of those really pique my interest anyway. I want something a little unique, sporty, fun to drive and reasonably practical. AWD is a big bonus too. The open bed is a plus for sure, but I don't need it. Before the SC, I was looking at the Crosstrek (so slow, but fun and spunky in a cheap and cheerful sort of way with the 6 speed trans), the WRX, and even a Civic Si (really don't want another sporty FWD car, but at least it has a good LSD). If Mazda hadn't ruined the styling of the CX-30 Turbo with that plastic body cladding I think it's an interesting option too.

When I take a step back an and I fear by the time the Santa Cruz is available to d realize all of those are in the $25k-30k range... I have a hard time justifying an extra $5k-10k, even though the argument could be made that the SC is 'more' vehicle than the others. I could step down to the SE or SEL SC, but I think I'd forever regret not popping for the Turbo DCT.

We'll see what happens. I think the SE and SEL are priced about right, but that big jump to SEL Premium and Limited is a little more than I think the market will tolerate long term. Hopefully I'm right and I can scoop one up towards the end of the year for $3-5k off MSRP, but I think I will sit tight and see what happens for a while...
I think your right on the money, my problem is this is a summer vehicle for me and by the time it gets to the dealers, I will be packing up to head to our winter residence and I have enough vehicles and toys there. Which means in all likely hood I will be placing an order in about March of 2022. Hopefully you are correct in your forecast and the market will have settled down a little by then. Really wanted to get a Santa Cruz this summer, but guess I will just have to wait a little.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I know I read somewhere that Hyundai says the DCT will be a bit rough for the first 1,000 miles or so. Can't remember where I saw it though. Makes sense that brand new clutch material would be extra grabby.
The manual makes note of this... and yes it makes perfect sense due to a new clutch. Hopefully its not too bad on test drives and scares people off. Regardless for me the DCT is still the biggest risk, really not sure how happy such a setup will be pulling my boat long term. Guess that is what the 10 year warranty is for.

In the world of unibody 'trucks', at $36-40k for a Turbo AWD model they've gone quite a bit above the Maverick, and latched right on the heels of the Ridgeline.
A Maverick tricked out to my needs and equipped to match a SC Limited AWD is right at $36k so I don't think Hyundai is that far off with its pricing. Is the more upscale interior and other goodies worth another $3k? For me YES. As you said on the high end the SC squeaks in right at where the RL starts so you have to consider it - and vice versa.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in White
5 Posts
There's no way I will pay almost 40k for a non-truck, I can get a Ford ranger 4X4 for a little less that is well equiped and can actually out do the Santa Cruz off road, and actually hold something substantial in the bed, like a motorcycle. So I'm out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wanted the Turbo version to make it a fun drive but it looks like it’s going to cost around $37k. I can’t justify paying that much. There are also lightly used Rangers/Colorados for about $30k that are more capable trucks if I really need a truck.
I think I am out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There's no way I will pay almost 40k for a non-truck, I can get a Ford ranger 4X4 for a little less that is well equiped and can actually out do the Santa Cruz off road, and actually hold something substantial in the bed, like a motorcycle. So I'm out!
That is true, but the Range is very ugly. The Maverick is a lot less horrible in the grill.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
I wanted the Turbo version to make it a fun drive but it looks like it’s going to cost around $37k. I can’t justify paying that much. There are also lightly used Rangers/Colorados for about $30k that are more capable trucks if I really need a truck.
I think I am out.
The N/A engine is painfully slow at 0-60 mph in 9 seconds. I don't think you could even merge onto highway traffic safely at those slow acceleration numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The lack of color choices was also a disappointment. I already have a white truck, my wife has a grey car, and I don’t want to repeat the colors. So my leftover color choices were the black that will become insanely hot in my desert summers, an odd looking baby blue, a greenish sage gray, and the brown. Nothing very fun but I would have gone with the sage.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
The N/A engine is painfully slow at 0-60 mph in 9 seconds. I don't think you could even merge onto highway traffic safely at those slow acceleration numbers.
Given the number of folks I've seen over the years who merge at much slower speeds than that, I'd say that you're a) an enthusiastic driver and b) exaggerating ever so slightly. There are plenty slower vehicles out there than 0-60 in 9 seconds. They're what I like to call ... leisurely. And ... annoying AF. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Am I right in saying that you have to move up to SEL to get XM Sat. radio? If so, is it included, a separate item or packaged with other stuff? If I'm reading your list right, it appears to be included.

Can't believe you have to go SEL Premium with all its' other upgrades just to get an auto-dimming rearview mirror and SEL to get front auto-up/down windows. :mad: Those are basic items these days.
Good news/bad news - yes, you need to go up to the SEL to get the XM capable audio system. As for the auto-dimming mirror, it is available as a dealer or port option on any trim level.

I see the configurator adds a new trim called SEL Premium that has turbo engine with regular non-DCT transmission and 2WD. It comes with activity Package. Pricing is not listed for the trim, but I am hoping it comes in around $30K or less.
I know people have said the configurator has been doing funky things lately. Not sure what you are seeing, the SEL Premium I see is AWD with the DCT. They list FWD as "coming soon" but currently all 2.5T models are only available as AWD. The SEL w/Activity Package is just over $30k (before destination charges), IF they do eventually build SEL Premium as FWD, adding the turbo engine and the other features isn't going to drop it under $30k. With AWD costing $1,500 on other trim levels, if it's the same on the SEL Premium, that would put it at $34,180 + $1,185 destination.

I think your right on the money, my problem is this is a summer vehicle for me and by the time it gets to the dealers, I will be packing up to head to our winter residence and I have enough vehicles and toys there. Which means in all likely hood I will be placing an order in about March of 2022. Hopefully you are correct in your forecast and the market will have settled down a little by then. Really wanted to get a Santa Cruz this summer, but guess I will just have to wait a little.
Last week and this week, Hyundai has been allocating one Santa Cruz to each US dealer. Today (at least in the southeast) dealers had an additional allocation - from checking with a few dealers, the smaller ones got 2 more each and the larger ones got 6 additional units. Depending on location the first ones should start hitting the dealer lot before the end of THIS month, with the additional units not far behind (with some dealers only taking 1-2 days by truck and others taking longer having to be shipped by rail and then sent on by truck)..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been intrigued by the XM setups that have a removeable face for years, which give you the ability to use the receiver in car or home.
I ran that setup for almost 20 years. First in my Nissan Frontier and then in my Ford Focus. Like you said, you could drive across the country and listen to the same station the whole way without having to worry about losing the signal or cell service. And they basically give those receivers away, I think, because their profit comes from subscriptions, not hardware.

110720_Focus_XM_Radio.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Given the number of folks I've seen over the years who merge at much slower speeds than that, I'd say that you're a) an enthusiastic driver and b) exaggerating ever so slightly. There are plenty slower vehicles out there than 0-60 in 9 seconds. They're what I like to call ... leisurely. And ... annoying AF. :D
Maybe. There is an interchange near me that can be quite adrenaline inducing near rush hour. People routinely merge going what must be in excess of 20-30 mph over speed limit (which puts them close to 100 mph). There needs to be speed traps but my understanding is that this is not permitted by state law.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in White
5 Posts
I think I am out.
I can keep my Colorado 4 banger and buy a very nice used vette and have both for this kind of price!

81 - 100 of 130 Posts