Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
The N/A engine is painfully slow at 0-60 mph in 9 seconds. I don't think you could even merge onto highway traffic safely at those slow acceleration numbers.
Both my 2012 Mini Cooper (1.6L NA) and 2007 Honda CRV (2.4L NA) have a 0-60mph of 8.7 seconds and have no trouble doing anything. In fact, the Mini didn't even need to slow down for corners like those big HP square trucks out there. It was always fun swinging wide and passing them on corners. Brake pads lasted forever! Lol...

Seriously thou, ProfessCars(tm) says the 2022 Tucson SE FWD 8spd auto has 0-60mph listed as 8.1 seconds (same 2.5L NA engine). Is there a true 0-60mph number stated by Hyundai for the Santa Cruz SE and SEL already?

Good news/bad news - yes, you need to go up to the SEL to get the XM capable audio system. As for the auto-dimming mirror, it is available as a dealer or port option on any trim level.

Last week and this week, Hyundai has been allocating one Santa Cruz to each US dealer. Today (at least in the southeast) dealers had an additional allocation - from checking with a few dealers, the smaller ones got 2 more each and the larger ones got 6 additional units. Depending on location the first ones should start hitting the dealer lot before the end of THIS month, with the additional units not far behind (with some dealers only taking 1-2 days by truck and others taking longer having to be shipped by rail and then sent on by truck)..
Sweat! The waters are starting to clear once again. We're getting close to seeing the real deal at the showrooms across the nation.

I ran that setup for almost 20 years. First in my Nissan Frontier and then in my Ford Focus. Like you said, you could drive across the country and listen to the same station the whole way without having to worry about losing the signal or cell service. And they basically give those receivers away, I think, because their profit comes from subscriptions, not hardware.
It was always my understanding that manufacturers made deals with XM to get them in the cars and the cost to them was minimal, because XM wants that monthly fee. I like the extremely wide variety XM offers, including financial stations like CNBC and Bloomberg. Plus having crystal clear music of any type out on the trail when wheeling and camping is wonderful. Thanks for sharing you positive experience with the add-on XM setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had XM for couple of cars but to me it's just a waste. I usually drive with the windows open except for the winter months and rarely use AC. Plus usually short trips - 1/2 hour but admit XM is great for long trips.
As far as waiting, car now works great but is beat - scrapes on sides, plastic quarter panels held on by tape as broke clips by pushing against things in driveway. Plus wanted one for my 70th birthday.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Below screenshot from configurator for SEL Premium (non AWD) shows turbo engine as only selection w/o DCT View attachment 960
It only shows you the engine and if it's FWD or has AWD - nothing about the transmission shows in their Powertrain section on any of them.
We know the Limited AWD is the DCT but it doesn't show it there.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
I cannot see the value in paying $38K to get AWD. That is pretty expensive. I imagine the SC will make quite a splash, but there might be quite a few of them on the used car lot after one year of ownership, when owners find out its limitations. I hope it goes well for Hyundai and the SC.

Does anyone know the weight of the Santa Cruz? I did a Google search and all I found out was that Les Santa Cruz (boxer) weighed 130 lbs, and an expensive ($4k) Santa Cruz bicycle weighs 19.5 lbs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Does anyone know the weight of the Santa Cruz? I did a Google search and all I found out was that Les Santa Cruz (boxer) weighed 130 lbs, and an expensive ($4k) Santa Cruz bicycle weighs 19.5 lbs.
Here is what I found for gross weight:
Non-Turbo 2WD 5,456
Non-Turbo AWD 5,610
Turbo 2WD 5,577
Turbo AWD 5,732
Payload is like 1700, which makes vehicle weight around 4,000... so yeah possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, that SEL activity package gives me heartburn. $3,270 when all I really want out of it is roof side rails, tonneau cover, and utility tracks. You know, actual activity stuff.

I'd like to avoid the 10" screen and keep the real volume knob from the lower models too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's no way I will pay almost 40k for a non-truck, I can get a Ford ranger 4X4 for a little less that is well equiped and can actually out do the Santa Cruz off road, and actually hold something substantial in the bed, like a motorcycle. So I'm out!
I wanted the Turbo version to make it a fun drive but it looks like it’s going to cost around $37k. I can’t justify paying that much. There are also lightly used Rangers/Colorados for about $30k that are more capable trucks if I really need a truck.
I think I am out.
This is exactly the response I think anyone who is cross-shopping with real trucks who needs to do real truck stuff will have... the value isn't quite there if you don't mind the other real truck compromises like ride quality... I've seen this same comment in quite a few places and don't disagree.

I cannot see the value in paying $38K to get AWD. That is pretty expensive. I imagine the SC will make quite a splash, but there might be quite a few of them on the used car lot after one year of ownership, when owners find out its limitations. I hope it goes well for Hyundai and the SC.
To be fair, you can get an SE with AWD for around $26k and an AWD SEL for about $29k, which is competitive with the Maverick if you need AWD since you can't spec the Maverick out with the base hybrid motor and AWD.

I was just thinking the same about the Maverick sitting on used lots pretty soon. I think there is a lot of excitement about these smaller trucks coming back, but a lot of the potential Maverick buyers seem to be trying to downsize their current full/mid size trucks and I wonder if the limitations of these trucklettes will be a little too much for some... time will tell.

Man, that SEL activity package gives me heartburn. $3,270 when all I really want out of it is roof side rails, tonneau cover, and utility tracks. You know, actual activity stuff.

I'd like to avoid the 10" screen and keep the real volume knob from the lower models too.
The 10" infotainment screen only comes on the Limited (with Navigation), at least that's my understanding. The rest of the lineup will have the smaller 8" screen with real knobs (and wireless CarPlay/AA).

And yeah.. that jump from an SEL (with AWD to keep apples to apples) at $29k to SEL Activity at $32k and then SEL Premium at $36k.... o_O

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
I imagine the SC will make quite a splash, but there might be quite a few of them on the used car lot after one year of ownership, when owners find out its limitations. I hope it goes well for Hyundai and the SC.
I'm not sure what expectations you think people will have when buying an SUV with a truck bed. They're not the type who are looking to haul 5th wheel trailers. The Maverick has far more limitations ... including max towing. So is Ford also going to see a flood of used Mavs after a year of people realizing they didn't buy an F250 Super Duty Diesel? I'm thinking ... no.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A $3200 leap from a SE and SEL ?? seems like the SE is the only Cruz that they dropped the price to compete with the Maverick.... I just don't see $3200 difference between the SE-SEL , I'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth about the Cruz..and what the Dealers are going to do...

·
Registered
56 Posts
A $3200 leap from a SE and SEL ?? seems like the SE is the only Cruz that they dropped the price to compete with the Maverick.... I just don't see $3200 difference between the SE-SEL , I'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth about the Cruz..and what the Dealers are going to do...
Lot more stuff...

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts

I would think you can just buy the items you want from the dealer and add them yourself if you don't want the whole package.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
This is what I'm seeing with regard to pricing, gauge cluster and center console for "AWD" equipped trim levels:

AWD SE 2.5L NA w/8spd Auto $25,490
Analog gauge cluster
8" center console with knobs

AWD SEL 2.5L NA w/8spd Auto $28,690 (Increase of $3,200)
Analog gauge cluster
(* Available 10.25" Digital Gauge Cluster)

AWD SEL Premium 2.5L Turbo w/8spd DCT Auto $35,680 (Increase of $7,170)
10.25: flat screen gauges
NOTE: Includes Activity Package

AWD
Limited 2.5L Turbo w/8spd DCT Auto $39,720 (Increase of $4,040)
10.25" flat screen gauges w/BVM
10.25" touch screen navigation center console
NOTE: Includes Activity Package

* Activity Package at $3,270
(10.25" Digital gauge cluster and a BUNCH of other stuff)

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Hope I have that right.

So the big jump from AWD SEL to AWD SEL Premium includes $3,270 Activity Package and $3,900 2.5L Turbo with DCT 8spd Auto.

FWIW I think they did a reasonable job on pricing. It gives you the ability to configure the vehicle close to what you may want by trim levels and you can always add individual items after the fact to personalize your choice.

Individual budgets are a personal matter that requires each person to run their own numbers.

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
32 Posts
like some of you ...I like a volume/on/off knob...but technology keeps moving forward. This will be my last vehicle as I'm closing in on 70 years on this planet...goona bite the bullet and put up with that big black screen/panel...maybe I'll just add stickers to the display!

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
32 Posts
JMII you are correct, wifey's car is a new hybrid Avalon with tech pkg...( I'm using the Avalon as a bench mark)...I believe the only thing the Toyota has that the Hyundai does not have is the head's up display ...at least the steering wheel has a similar button layout...just gotta force myself to use it.

Meph - in this land of melting asphalt ( gonna be 108 today) wish the Limited had cloth seats and 18" wheels ...hope the "ventilated" leather seats work well...reserved a white Limited with grey leather seats

·
Registered
98 Posts
JMII you are correct, wifey's car is a new hybrid Avalon with tech pkg...( I'm using the Avalon as a bench mark)...I believe the only thing the Toyota has that the Hyundai does not have is the head's up display ...at least the steering wheel has a similar button layout...just gotta force myself to use it.

Meph - in this land of melting asphalt ( gonna be 108 today) wish the Limited had cloth seats and 18" wheels ...hope the "ventilated" leather seats work well...reserved a white Limited with grey leather seats
I've been in a KIA Optima with the Ventilated seats on a trip from Florida to Texas. I was sold instantly. Can't wait to remote start and kick the ventilation on before I get in the car. I live in Florida.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts