Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is interesting news! The remote profile management seems to take the place of the "driver 1, driver 2" presets that appear to be missing off the higher trim levels. If so, that is excellent news. Strange though that an earlier article that I posted showed the plan would be idle this week for yearly maintenance/retrofit. Who the heck knows what's really going on, but I will take this news as good news!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
Interesting, but likely just a generic comment. They're coming soon! (y)

Could this feature serve as a method to incorporate seat position settings?
  • Remote profile management—stores select vehicle settings to the Blue Link cloud, with the ability to remotely update and push back to the vehicle, personalized to driver preferences
Also, does anyone know if the Santa Cruz supports 20W USB-C 3.0?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Remote start enhancements: Remote seat heating and ventilation(on/off/level for each heated/cooled seat)Profile selection (preloads individual driver settings for seating position/side mirrors)

Sounds very promising. I hope this is related to the SC and not some copy & paste job from another model.

Blue Link service is free for the first 3 years... but I wonder how much they will charge beyond that.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Could this feature serve as a method to incorporate seat position settings?
Sounds like these settings are accessible via the BlueLink (or whatever Hyundai calls it.) which is 'free' for the first three years, I think.
2022 Santa Cruz key features include:
  • Remote Engine Start allows the owner to remotely warm up or cool down the vehicle using the Santa Cruz key fob on models equipped with Proximity Key and Push Button Start.
  • Remote profile management—stores select vehicle settings to the Blue Link cloud, with the ability to remotely update and push back to the vehicle, personalized to driver preferences
  • Remote start enhancements: Remote seat heating and ventilation(on/off/level for each heated/cooled seat)Profile selection (preloads individual driver settings for seating position/side mirrors)
  • Vehicle Status Notifications—if the vehicle is left with doors unlocked or windows open, customers will receive a notification.
  • POI Send to Car now with Waypoints (ability to add up to three-way points, to be delivered to the vehicle together and automatically set order of destinations)
  • Maintenance Alert Enhancement—maintenance interval tracking is now visible in the multimedia system, with the ability to reset
This whole concept of storing driver profile settings in the cloud seems rather odd -- just what problem is solved by this? I cannot think of any. Are you going to port your seat settings to your other/next Hyundai? I guess if the battery is disconnected, you won't have to re-set your seat and mirrors and A/C controls. But, seriously, how often does that happen? (And, it really isn't that difficult to fix when it does.)

So, while we wait for pricing, we can speculate about this 'settings in the cloud' puzzle:

Here's a really crazy idea (this even sounds like an internet flash rumor): Maybe Hyundai was only waiting for the memory chips that store these settings in the car -- by moving the settings to the cloud, production can begin (and some brilliant engineer gets a bonus and promotion!)

OK. What's your guess?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
OK. What's your guess?
Sounds like a money grab, they are turning a feature into a subscription.

I bet being "free" for 3 years is based on their typical lease term. This way the second owner generates some extra cash flow. Many businesses are moving to recurring revenue models.

The feature must already be in the vehicle's software, they just changed where the switch is located. Instead of physical buttons on the door they are now on a smart phone app which appears hip and cool. Ohhh look what my phone can do. Granted this is pretty awesome but what's wrong with just having a button on the door to move the seats?

Hyundai Blue Link | 3 Years Complimentary Blue Link | Hyundai has an FAQ at the bottom of the page that provides some more info. Nothing about moving the seats however if you can remote start and set the temp moving the seats/mirrors is well within the realm of possibilities. Just need confirmation from Hyundai and what can be done on the SC. Its likely limited to the higher end models too logically.

I would love to launch an app and turn the A/C on after a fishing trip so I arrive at a nice cool vehicle - I would pay for that so I guess their subscription model is going to sucker me in. My worry is when future tech renders this obsolete and/or Hyundai drops support for it.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
I don't see their subscription for cloud services as any different from Chevy's OnStar integration ... and we only got three months of that for free. Having used it for almost a year now, I appreciate a good connected app. Mostly for the little things like remote start with feedback that the engine actually started. (Chevy remote is silent and you just have to hope it worked.) Or when you drop off for servicing and they ask the mileage and you forgot to check ... pull up the app at the counter and have it in moments. Check fuel levels and oil life and such ... it's great to have in an app. And if Hyundai has their digital key in the SC, even better! One less thing I have to stuff in my pockets every day.

The satellite services they use to connect that stuff aren't free ... so three years free is a pretty decent start. Chevy should take notes!!

Also - that may be the very first time I've seen a HSC with the halogen/projector headlights and not the top trim's LEDs! The color temp is a bit warm, but they look good. Might need some SilverStar bulbs in there to whiten them up.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Talking to my car from a remote location is too much tech for me! Heck, I just dumped a G-Note on a iPh12 yesterday to replace an iPh6S that lasted 6 years before the charging port wore out (phone still works great). Had to upgrade all charging accessories and upgrade to Fast 20W USB-C 3.0 & MagSafe charging. More $$$... I'd rather keep what little tech I do use in my phone and simply have an auto screen duplicate my phone screen, but that's just me. Don't want people hacking my car or home or appliances or etc... Do people really need their refrigerator to notice they're down to a half gallon of milk and remind them with a text? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'd rather keep what little tech I do use in my phone and simply have an auto screen duplicate my phone screen, but that's just me.
It's not just you. I think keeping a lot of the tech connected to a device that gets its own frequent updates is much better. But being able to push/pull diagnostic data, vehicle status, and remote start/lock/unlock from my phone/tablet/computer/voice assistant is something I enjoy. That's why I have so many wifi connected lights. I'm all about the "Hey Google, turn on porch light." and "Alexa, turn on block heater" in the winter! And yes, I've asked our internet overlords to start my car hands-free too. Then again, I built myself a voice-controlled internet-connected TV remote a couple of years ago too ... I like to tinker. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hope that's my brothers Sage Green SE/SEL behind them in the video! :love: Yup, we're going to be two Santa Cruz family.

Also hope they get a bunch of SE's built first while they are waiting on chips for the tech-upped ones. ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The DRLs seem much brighter than the ones on the Tucson I drove.
Probably a trick of the camera. That doesn't look like a brightly lit environment, so they probably made up for it with a higher ISO or slower shutter speed. Makes the lights appear super bright, but gets the rest of the scene to look almost properly exposed. It could still use a couple of stops of light.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts