Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm the idiot here but I was under the impression the tonneau cover was part of the central locking system like the tailgate. Spoiler Alert: it isn't! There is a little yellow knob on the under side of the latch you have to turn to engage the lock. I assumed it was a safety like the trunk safety's in a normal car so you can't get locked in the trunk mafia style.

Glad I figured it out before the $400 in tools I had in the truck walked away. Figured maybe this would be a good warning if anyone else was ill informed like myself!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was aware from some YT reviews I had watched. Good to point it out. Some may not have seen it yet... Owners Manual? Read?..... I'm sure I've heard these words before.. but for the life of me I don't remember using them together. 🤔 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah I tend to read by doing... I wasn't implying there was false advertising or anything just something that I assumed I wouldn't want others to do at the cost of suffering theft.

·
Registered
635 Posts
So, do I have this right?
1. Tonneau lock/unlock is ONLY controlled manually - by twisting the yellow knob on the underside.
2. Tailgate blocks access to underside of tonneau and is locked/unlocked along with all the other doors.
4. The keyfob 'tailgate' button ONLY unlocks the tailgate and opens it.
5. Locking the doors has no effect on the tonneau lock.

So, if you come walking up to the truck with both arms full of an item too large to fit underneath the tonneau, the best solution is to:
1. press the keyfob 'tailgate' button...
2. place your load onto the tailgate...
3. manually unlock and open the tonneau.
4. move the package into the bed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So, do I have this right?
1. Tonneau lock/unlock is ONLY controlled manually - by twisting the yellow knob on the underside.
2. Tailgate blocks access to underside of tonneau and is locked/unlocked along with all the other doors.
4. The keyfob 'tailgate' button ONLY unlocks the tailgate and opens it.
5. Locking the doors has no effect on the tonneau lock.

So, if you come walking up to the truck with both arms full of an item too large to fit underneath the tonneau, the best solution is to:
1. press the keyfob 'tailgate' button...
2. place your load onto the tailgate...
3. manually unlock and open the tonneau.
4. move the package into the bed.
Yup.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
216 Posts
Obviously, Mulhisen didn't watch every YouTube video ever made about the SC, and read every article on the net and research every tiny aspect of this truck before buying, like the rest of us did. LOL. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It is odd that they didn't make the tailgate lock somehow integrated with the cover but as far as I know this is how all roll style covers work - they require manually locking. My previous Roll-N-Lock required a separate key so in that regard the yellow knob is actually a pretty good solution.

The owners manual is pretty much required reading... lots of stuff in there that doesn't appear obvious at first. I bet many people will over look the yellow knob for the cover and its a bit hidden under there.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
I can't see how they would run the wiring/power required to make the tonneau lock electric in any way. I have no issues with the manual lock. I'm a bit neurotic about making sure my stuff is always locked anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obviously, Mulhisen didn't watch every YouTube video ever made about the SC, and read every article on the net and research every tiny aspect of this truck before buying, like the rest of us did. LOL. :LOL:
I honestly thought I did... LOL. I knew more about the car than any of the sales-people at the dealership which admittedly does not seem to be to hard...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't see how they would run the wiring/power required to make the tonneau lock electric in any way. I have no issues with the manual lock. I'm a bit neurotic about making sure my stuff is always locked anyway.
It wouldn't have been that hard honestly. Just have 2 contact points on the tailgate or in the tonneau track so when it is in a closed position they make contact and complete a circuit (think of when you put a walkie talkie or cordless phone in a charge base). Then when you lock the vehicle sends a 12v pulse to a small stepper motor to turn the lock. I dont think its necessary but I would have appreciated it

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
37 Posts
It’s showing if ALL/ANY DOORS are locked or unlocked. While the symbol is over the cover, that’s just where they placed it. AFAIK there is no indication for the cover being opened or closed. Would be nice if there was….

1 - 15 of 15 Posts