Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that these units coming in are the first off the production line, but out of 3 different SC I looked at over the past two days, each of them had significant issues with body paint and/or body panel alignment.

SC #1: Blue Stone SEL Premium - Rear Driver's side quarterpanel and Front Passenger side quarterpanel color was distinctly different in color. These panels were more of a gray tone than the rest of the vehicle. No alignment issues with the body panels but some gaps were much wider and some very narrow.

SC #2: Blue Stone SEL Premium - Coloring seemed ok. However, significant alignment issues with several panels where they simply didn't meet up properly. On panel was popping out over the black wheel trim. Again, noticeable differences in the gaps between the body panels.

SC #3: White Limited - Significant alignment issues, especially with the hood. On the passenger side, the front of the hood had about a 1/4" overhang from the front quarter panel where they should have met up flush. On the Driver's side, it was maybe a 1/16" of an inch in the opposite direction. Also, one of the door pillars was noticeably more gray than the rest of the vehicle.

Also, on the inside of the White Limited with the Leather seats, the passenger's seat was making an annoying rubbing sound every time you went around a curve or a turn, yet no one was sitting in the seat. Very strange. Wasn't a rattle, but a rubbing sound.

I've owned my fair share of Hyundai and Kia products, and some I've bought very early in the production cycle, but I cannot recall seeing so many issues with the fit & finish quaility as I've seen on these vehicles and that's on all 3 that I've looked at, and the only 3 that I've looked at. One of them was from a different dealer.

While I want to love the Santa Cruz, I'm a bit concerned that there may be even more gremlins hidden behind what can be seen on the outside, and wondering if I should wait a while before jumping in. With the chip shortgage, I understand beggars can't be choosers, but also don't want to end up owning an early production vehicle where they were still working out the kinks on the assembly line. Just too many red flags for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
While I want to love the Santa Cruz, I'm a bit concerned that there may be even more gremlins hidden behind what can be seen on the outside, and wondering if I should wait a while before jumping in. With the chip shortgage, I understand beggars can't be choosers, but also don't want to end up owning an early production vehicle where they were still working out the kinks on the assembly line. Just too many red flags for me.
Not going to lie... While member reviews have been most informative, they have also been quite alarming. My vehicle is scheduled to arrive mid-September. Will definitely monitor the situation between now and then (keep posting your reviews.. Helps us all). I'm fairly certain I will go through with the purchase. Does make me nervous.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know that these units coming in are the first off the production line, but out of 3 different SC I looked at over the past two days, each of them had significant issues with body paint and/or body panel alignment.

SC #1: Blue Stone SEL Premium - Rear Driver's side quarterpanel and Front Passenger side quarterpanel color was distinctly different in color. These panels were more of a gray tone than the rest of the vehicle. No alignment issues with the body panels but some gaps were much wider and some very narrow.

SC #2: Blue Stone SEL Premium - Coloring seemed ok. However, significant alignment issues with several panels where they simply didn't meet up properly. On panel was popping out over the black wheel trim. Again, noticeable differences in the gaps between the body panels.

SC #3: White Limited - Significant alignment issues, especially with the hood. On the passenger side, the front of the hood had about a 1/4" overhang from the front quarter panel where they should have met up flush. On the Driver's side, it was maybe a 1/16" of an inch in the opposite direction. Also, one of the door pillars was noticeably more gray than the rest of the vehicle.

Also, on the inside of the White Limited with the Leather seats, the passenger's seat was making an annoying rubbing sound every time you went around a curve or a turn, yet no one was sitting in the seat. Very strange. Wasn't a rattle, but a rubbing sound.

I've owned my fair share of Hyundai and Kia products, and some I've bought very early in the production cycle, but I cannot recall seeing so many issues with the fit & finish quaility as I've seen on these vehicles and that's on all 3 that I've looked at, and the only 3 that I've looked at. One of them was from a different dealer.

There goes the Maverick haters made in Mexico vs USA argument. Maybe Hyundai is going for Tesla build quality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am really glad I found this forum! I really wanted an SC to replace My Mustang and my Colorado. With the number of issues that are occurring, no tow solution, engine shutoffs, clunking in the transmission, uncomfortable passenger seat, now quality control issues with body panels I am considering waiting till next year. Maybe KIA will have a sister vehicle like the Tucson/Sportage duo though I have read that that isn't going to happen. KIA has been number one in both JD Powers 90 day and 1 year customer satisfaction and reliability surveys. I bought a 2006 F250 brand new and had so many problems with it, it was a lemon. Getting Ford to fix the issues was a nightmare and I REALLY don't want to go through that again.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
137 Posts
Honestly, I haven’t looked over mine all that closely. I think I’m just too enamored of it to try to see flaws right now.

That said, I haven’t seen anything glaringly off with it, either.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Honestly, I haven’t looked over mine all that closely. I think I’m just too enamored of it to try to see flaws right now.

That said, I haven’t seen anything glaringly off with it, either.
As they say, love is blind. Hoping your ownership aligns with the positives on this forum.

·
Administrator
77 Posts
You can't expect too much from a factory in Alabama. Go Vols!!
😂😂
Three of Honda's least-reliable models according to Consumer Reports - the Passport, Odyssey, and Pilot - are made in Alabama. Their most reliable - the HR-V - is made in Mexico.

CR doesn't have data on all Hyundai models (too new or too little data), but the least reliable Hyundai in this list - the Sonata - is made in the same factory as the Santa Cruz in Alabama. The most reliable - the Kona - is made in South Korea, I believe.

Specific to the Honda Ridgeline, build quality was consistently higher for 2006 to early-2009 models assembled in Canada compared to later-2009 to present models assembled in Lincoln, Alabama along with the Pilot, Odyssey, and Passport.

If reliability is what you're after, look to Mazda.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had my limited Santa Cruz for little over a week. I am sorry for members having some problems with their SC’s, but so far no issues with mine. Yes I would of liked a power seat on the passenger side, yes I would of liked collapsible side mirrors, and finally I wish my SC had the trailer hitch already installed.

But with that said, I am very happy with the quality of my SC. Trailer hitch would of been nice already installed, but my understanding you are not to tow anything for 1200 miles (I think that is what is stated), I hadn’t towed a trailer for at least 1 1/2 years with my former Canyon 4x4. So I will get that installed sometime. On the mirrors I never had that before I purchased a BMW X4, so nice but I will be okay. Wife would like the power seat, but once set she will probably not move it much.

As you can tell I like my SC, would I buy it again, the answer right now is yes. Good luck for those that have had problems, I hope you get any issues corrected.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve had my limited Santa Cruz for little over a week. I am sorry for members having some problems with their SC’s, but so far no issues with mine. Yes I would of liked a power seat on the passenger side, yes I would of liked collapsible side mirrors, and finally I wish my SC had the trailer hitch already installed.

But with that said, I am very happy with the quality of my SC. Trailer hitch would of been nice already installed, but my understanding you are not to tow anything for 1200 miles (I think that is what is stated), I hadn’t towed a trailer for at least 1 1/2 years with my former Canyon 4x4. So I will get that installed sometime. On the mirrors I never had that before I purchased a BMW X4, so nice but I will be okay. Wife would like the power seat, but once set she will probably not move it much.

As you can tell I like my SC, would I buy it again, the answer right now is yes. Good luck for those that have had problems, I hope you get any issues corrected.
I agree with everything that you’ve said. My experience with my SC Limited has been very positive.
Once my wife adjusts the passenger seat to her liking it will probably never get moved again. Never had automatic collapsible side mirrors, never been a problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Too bad there are no puctures to share. Not that I don't believe it.. but I'm a 4 time Hyundai owner and have not see any of these body panel alignment issues...

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
137 Posts

I also agree with everything you said.

Yes, a factory installed (or even dealer installed) hitch would be awesome, but I doubt I'll need to tow anything any time soon, so it can wait.
I've never had a vehicle with power folding mirrors, so I don't know what I'm missing. These will manually fold, so if I have to, I can do that.
My wife would also like the power seat, but like yours, will probably set it & forget it, other than reclining it when she takes a nap on road trips. And the manual recline on Hyundai vehicles is much better than on the VW New Beetle we had. That one had a dial on the side that you had to crank to recline/return from recline. It took forever.

·
Registered
617 Posts
There goes the Maverick haters made in Mexico vs USA argument. Maybe Hyundai is going for Tesla build quality.
Maverick may be even worse. Maverick is also a whole new assembly line, and they were talking about how they hired new workers for it and were giving them training. Its possible that some of the people will be learning a bit on the job, where this is the first time they've ever worked on an assembly line. And with supply chain issues all over the world, manufacturers may have become more flexible in who they use for parts based just on what they can get, and gone with no-name Chinese manufacturers that they don't have a long term relationship with to know if the parts are really up to snuff.

Its the big fear of mine too, especially on first model year vehicles, that we may look back at 2021 and 2022 vehicles as "COVID cars" that have more problems than normal due to all the unusual disruption to BAU practices. On the plus side, at least prices for new cars are at an all time high with little to no negotiating power... oh wait.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too bad there are no puctures to share. Not that I don't believe it.. but I'm a 4 time Hyundai owner and have not see any of these body panel alignment issues...
I know. It wasn't until after getting home that I had wished I had taken the photos. If I see any others I'll be sure to post pictures.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maverick may be even worse. Maverick is also a whole new assembly line, and they were talking about how they hired new workers for it and were giving them training. Its possible that some of the people will be learning a bit on the job, where this is the first time they've ever worked on an assembly line. And with supply chain issues all over the world, manufacturers may have become more flexible in who they use for parts based just on what they can get, and gone with no-name Chinese manufacturers that they don't have a long term relationship with to know if the parts are really up to snuff.

Its the big fear of mine too, especially on first model year vehicles, that we may look back at 2021 and 2022 vehicles as "COVID cars" that have more problems than normal due to all the unusual disruption to BAU practices. On the plus side, at least prices for new cars are at an all time high with little to no negotiating power... oh wait.
Hmm, hmm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know. It wasn't until after getting home that I had wished I had taken the photos. If I see any others I'll be sure to post pictures.
also be sure to get a pic of the owner coming upon you taking pics of the flaws in his vehicle and wants to know, "why the heck you're taking pics of his fender meeting the wheel well?!" ...lol j/k!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Found a small dent middle bottom of tailgate. Almost looks like a manufacturing defect. Also see an arrow sticker outline pointing to a paint defect that was fixed, but they didn't clean all the sticker goo away. Too bad didn't notice prior to completing purchase. Too late now to complain.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Found a small dent middle bottom of tailgate. Almost looks like a manufacturing defect. Also see an arrow sticker outline pointing to a paint defect that was fixed, but they didn't clean all the sticker goo away. Too bad didn't notice prior to completing purchase. Too late now to complain.
Still fixable under warranty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends on to the dealer. If you don't see it before you leave the lot many will say they cannot determine if owner caused it. This happened with my Jaguar F-Type R. Found a bad nick on lip of trunk when I got home. They said that they won't repair it and that is a $106K car.

I sent pics to the salesguy. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Depends on to the dealer. If you don't see it before you leave the lot many will say they cannot determine if owner caused it. This happened with my Jaguar F-Type R. Found a bad nick on lip of trunk when I got home. They said that they won't repair it and that is a $106K car.

I sent pics to the salesguy. Let's see what happens.
Oh I was referring to the paint defect. I had a paint defect repaired under warranty before, and the repair was good had no matching issues and no problems ever after that.

The dent, yeah I can see the issue. How much time had passed would likely be a determining factor, and also just what is less annoying, you showing up to complain where other customers are watching you, or eating the cost of repair because Hyundai likely won't help them since they would have already done the PPI to look for those things that can happen during shipping. It may not be expensive for them to fix though, they have dentless repair guys that can usually make those disappear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts