Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate for this to be my inaugural post but here it goes. Just purchased my Limited Santa Cruz with the alleged rain sensing wipers. I have about 500 miles on it and after a few rain falls the wipers in AUTO have yet to sense any rainfall & operate as intended. On vehicle start up they do the self check and turn on once. I do not think I am doing anything incorrectly, either. I hate to carry it do the dealership but I am almost at that point. If it worked as it was intended I would be thrilled! Intermittent would be sooooo much better! I am loving it thus far other than that and an occasionally finnicky door locking upon exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,116 Posts
Hate for this to be my inaugural post but here it goes. Just purchased my Limited Santa Cruz with the alleged rain sensing wipers. I have about 500 miles on it and after a few rain falls the wipers in AUTO have yet to sense any rainfall & operate as intended. On vehicle start up they do the self check and turn on once. I do not think I am doing anything incorrectly, either. I hate to carry it do the dealership but I am almost at that point. If it worked as it was intended I would be thrilled! Intermittent would be sooooo much better! I am loving it thus far other than that and an occasionally finnicky door locking upon exiting the vehicle.
I can't comment on your door locks, Canadian models have a button you press to open/lock (with the fob in your pocket)
I've driven cars in Europe with rain sensing wipers and was finally pleased when I learned my SC would come with them - at first, i was like you - nothing to write home about, bordering on useless, but mine work fine now totally automatically, I can't recall the last time I activated the wipers - the only change I made, worked for me anyway, there is a clickable slider near the end of the wiper stalk, I have that at 1 click shy of max, like I said mine now work like a charm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes rain sensing wipers sound great in the manual, but aren't sensitive enough to be really effective. Then again even on my BMW the rain sensitive wipers suck as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Locking I was referring to is sometimes when I exit vehicle and attempt to lock it pressing the pressure button (sure has a real name) it won’t lock. I have to reopen the closed door then shut again then usually will lock as it supposed to. Now let me see if I am following you on the stalk, I keep the indicator I think in the center pointed to AUTO there is a dial or never that when I move the output displays a blue wave that gets more or less. I have put it on every level even to the highest or full blue bar wave still nothing am I missing a dial somewhere??

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Locking I was referring to is sometimes when I exit vehicle and attempt to lock it pressing the pressure button (sure has a real name) it won’t lock. I have to reopen the closed door then shut again then usually will lock as it supposed to. Now let me see if I am following you on the stalk, I keep the indicator I think in the center pointed to AUTO there is a dial or never that when I move the output displays a blue wave that gets more or less. I have put it on every level even to the highest or full blue bar wave still nothing am I missing a dial somewhere??
”B” on the limited is the sensitivity setting… make sure it’s in the “auto” position - shown as “int” in the diagram.
sensor is located at the very top of your windshield at the mid point… make sure nothing is blocking it (wipers don’t reach)
Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Vehicle Watercraft Automotive design

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,116 Posts
The main stalk/arm needs to be in the central position (auto) and to the right (circled in orange) is the sensitivity control (not unlike a control for intermittent wipers), max Automotive design Auto part Personal luxury car Fixture Rim

or one down seem to work fine for me

·
Registered
140 Posts
Locking I was referring to is sometimes when I exit vehicle and attempt to lock it pressing the pressure button...
On my limited, it is not pressure activated. It is by proximity. Senses your hand and then tells the computer to lock if it sees a fob in range.
Your fob needs to be in range. And that is a lot closer than the range using the buttons. If your fob is in your left pocket, and you have your right side toward the car, your body might be blocking the signal. By fooling around with opening and closing the door, you may actually just be repositioning your fob to be in range.

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited, Black
197 Posts
Intermittent wiper on every car I've had (BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes) have been spotty. Direct sunlight has triggered them on dry days, they didn't work great with occasional spits of rain. Once it actually starts raining, they seem to do fine. They will speed up or slow down as you get a blast of water passing a truck, or changes in rain amounts. I keep them off, then pull the lever to INT when it starts raining.

As others have said, pull the lever down one notch to INT, then use the twist slider to adjust sensitivity. I've found it works best when the sensitivity is all the way up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah all I appreciate the diagrams and that is exactly what i have been doing. Nothing. I think they just don't work. Might try testing with little water just to confirm before I take to dealer and look like a clown as I have here :p

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,116 Posts
Yeah all I appreciate the diagrams and that is exactly what i have been doing. Nothing. I think they just don't work. Might try testing with little water just to confirm before I take to dealer and look like a clown as I have here :p
I don't think you looked like a clown, mind those a big shoes you are wearing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my limited, it is not pressure activated. It is by proximity. Senses your hand and then tells the computer to lock if it sees a fob in range.
Your fob needs to be in range. And that is a lot closer than the range using the buttons. If your fob is in your left pocket, and you have your right side toward the car, your body might be blocking the signal. By fooling around with opening and closing the door, you may actually just be repositioning your fob to be in range.
Good call. Fob nearer to hand when pressing button seemed to do trick! Usually attached to a small bag & likely too far away in proximity. Might have finally figured wipers out, maybe just waiting to test

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
... after a few rain falls the wipers in AUTO have yet to sense any rainfall & operate as intended. On vehicle start up they do the self check and turn on once. ...
Did you mean that, when you start the car, the wipers make one sweep across the windshield...? My wipers don't do that (and I sure wouldn't want them to, either.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My two-week-old SC Limited has the same problem. Intermittent wipers do NOT work at all. This is a pain especially with light rain. Did the Hyundai Service Department find, or trouble shoot it for you ? I always like to have additional input when I take any vehicle in for service. Thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts