Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
302 Posts
I've had a couple of Hondas with rain-sensing wipers that worked "okay", but could be slow to response to changes. For example, in a sudden downpour, it could take several seconds before the wipers would start wiping then when the rain stopped the wipers would keep wiping for several seconds. I've had a couple of Mazdas with the feature and it was quite useable - much better than the Hondas.

On vehicle start up they do the self check and turn on once.
The wipers should not cycle on startup. Sounds like a faulty or incorrectly installed rain sensor.

I don't know about Hyundai, specifically, but some rain sensors have a clear sheet that optically bonds the sensor the windshield. If this sheet is missing or damaged, the symptoms you describe can result. I've seen windshields get replaced (sometimes on brand new vehicles that were damaged in transit) and the installer re-used or omitted this bonding sheet causing the rain-sensing wipers to not work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yep, carried to dealer because after testing they weren’t working at all. Scheduled appointment showed up sat there an hour before they bothered to tell me the tech called in sick so I would likely be there all day (notified at 9am). I said no I won’t! Got my keys left. I don’t miss the lackluster service at this metro Des Moines Hyundai dealer. One day I will try again. Ti make matters worse read an article that suggested Santa Cruz resale value projected to only be about 52.7% after 5 years. Not very reassuring.

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Ti make matters worse read an article that suggested Santa Cruz resale value projected to only be about 52.7% after 5 years. Not very reassuring.
That actually sounds good to me. Historically, the average vehicle will be worth half its original MSRP after three years. Retaining that much value after five years is impressive.

Did you buy it to use and enjoy or did you buy it to resell? ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I get your frustration, dealers can make or break a new car experience. Wait it out, get it corrected, come down off the cliff. This is a pretty good little trucklet. I have never bought something I wanted based on someone else's Idea of potential resale value. Just use manual wipers until you can get it corrected.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That actually sounds good to me. Historically, the average vehicle will be worth half its original MSRP after three years. Retaining that much value after five years is impressive.

Did you buy it to use and enjoy or did you buy it to resell? ;)
Not enjoying with lack of local support. “Historically” as you say I tend to dump vehicles after 1.5-3 years (leased last 2). I actually financed this one with intentions on maybe holding little longer than my averages.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
“Historically” as you say I tend to dump vehicles after 1.5-3 years (leased last 2). I actually financed this one with intentions on maybe holding little longer than my averages.
Those first 2 years are the worse drop, 5 years later things get a little better and after 10 years it basically doesn't matter. If you are the type that gets a new car every 2 years then leasing might be a better route. 50% depreciation is about normal which is how I was able to afford my Corvette and the wife's Infiniti - 1/2 off is a really good deal :D if you don't mind driving a 3 to 4 year old used vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Those first 2 years are the worse drop, 5 years later things get a little better and after 10 years it basically doesn't matter. If you are the type that gets a new car every 2 years then leasing might be a better route. 50% depreciation is about normal which is how I was able to afford my Corvette and the wife's Infiniti - 1/2 off is a really good deal :D if you don't mind driving a 3 to 4 year old used vehicle.
I need to correct myself from my prior percentage I threw out there. Here is the excerpt in part:

“It's only expected to maintain 57.2 percent of
its resale value after five years, while options
like the Toyota Tacoma will hold a resale value
of about 77.5 percent.”

So, I was actually 5% off it nears 60% which isn’t abysmal. I see that Tacoma and Jeep Wrangler resell values and scratch my head I test drove a pretty loaded out model in 2019 and it was wonky as all get out! As far as the Wranglers I’ve always known them to be mechanical nightmares with even worse fuel economy. Harley motorcycle same response as the Jeeps (hope I don’t hurt you diehards feelings).

I get bored with vehicles and dump early hence my two prior leases one lasted 2 of 3 years and the 21 Ford Ranger only 1 of 3. It’s local lack of commitment, service, attitude and the horrendous top Dearborn down CS was the worst I’ve experienced out of any product bar none! Including my Wife with a few I have owned 6 Hyundais over the last 11 years I’d say that’s pretty dang brand loyal! I seen an early out with my financing my Cruz and plopped down what was required and then some to actually hold on to it for awhile.

I have been using the manual to swipe the shield it’s just a hassle from a brand new ride with less than 1400 miles on it. That’s been my only gripe other than the local dealer lackluster service (I bought 200 miles away because I already knew and they were eager to move and help). I love it otherwise and my local MPG economy hovers in 22-24mpg range and on flat extended trips it’s ticked dang near 36mpg and yeah I know some might say BS but it’s not! Anyway after my prolonged vacationI will try to have them dig deeper. I almost wished KiA would honor the sister warranties. Okay, I am done…. For now. Will provide updates in time.

·
Administrator
302 Posts
“It's only expected to maintain 57.2 percent of
its resale value after five years, while options
like the Toyota Tacoma will hold a resale value
of about 77.5 percent.”
You didn't cite a source for your quote, so I Googled it myself and it appears to be from MotorBiscuit.com - a garbage, clickbate site that should never be trusted or quoted.

The Tacoma enjoys some of the highest resale value in the industry, but those figures you quoted are unrealistic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You didn't cite a source for your quote, so I Googled it myself and it appears to be from MotorBiscuit.com - a garbage, clickbate site that should never be trusted or quoted.

The Tacoma enjoys some of the highest resale value in the industry, but those figures you quoted are unrealistic.
That indeed was the source. If they said it online it’s gotta be true…..Seriously, good to know I think I stumbled upon as an ad

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited White, Alfa Romeo 4C white/red, 996 Turbo violet metallic, 1M white, MSMiata red
135 Posts
I’ve had two cars with rain sensors. Both needed windshield replacement. The presence of the rain sensor added over a grand to the cost. So I despise them now. I wasn’t a fan to begin with. If you can’t use wipers manually (and are not disabled), turn in your man card. Thank you Hyundai for not optioning the SC with them!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find that the "sensitivity" of the auto setting is directly affected by how much ambient light is available. If it's raining and there's not much sunlight/headlight contrast the auto setting is pretty useless. In other words sometimes it works as designed other times I turn it to low just to get the windshield wiped. I want to leave it in auto mode, but rarely do.

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Mine auto sensing wipers work better in this vehicle than my 2019 Ridgeline.
Unless you had a Canadian Ridgeline Touring or Black Edition then I can see why - US Ridgelines aren't equipped with rain-sensing wipers. :)

I’ve had two cars with rain sensors. Both needed windshield replacement. The presence of the rain sensor added over a grand to the cost.
What were the years, makes, and models of those two cars?

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited White, Alfa Romeo 4C white/red, 996 Turbo violet metallic, 1M white, MSMiata red
135 Posts
Unless you had a Canadian Ridgeline Touring or Black Edition then I can see why - US Ridgelines aren't equipped with rain-sensing wipers. :)

What were the years, makes, and models of those two cars?
Mercedes ML350
BMW 1M

·
Administrator
302 Posts
I’ve had two cars with rain sensors. Both needed windshield replacement. The presence of the rain sensor added over a grand to the cost.
Mercedes ML350
BMW 1M
It appears all M-class and 1-series models came standard with rain-sensing wipers so how could you determine that rain-sensing added $1,000 to the cost of the windshield without a non-rain-sensing version to compare it to? :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 128i and 135i did not come standard with rain sensing wipers. To your point, when a replacement windshield exceeds a grand, I ask why. Both times I was told bc rain sensors.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts