Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that a few members have had their Santa Cruzes for awhile, it's time to start getting real-world gas mileage figures.

Please let us know what kind of gas mileage you're seeing, making sure to note which engine you have and whether it's highway, in-town or mixed driving.

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now that a few members have had their Santa Cruzes for awhile, it's time to start getting real-world gas mileage figures.

Please let us know what kind of gas mileage you're seeing, making sure to note which engine you have and whether it's highway, in-town or mixed driving.

Thanks!
I have a question about the MPG ratings on the SC. Do the non-turbo models not factor tonneau since it isn't a standard feature? If so, the best MPG would definitely be SEL w/ Activity Package.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
too early to tell, mpg will get stable after 3-4k miles, the first couple 1000s will be pretty higher than EPA rating for sure

edit: higher consumption

·
Registered
350 Posts
Right now on my Limited 2.5T, I have just under 900 miles and have averaged about 18-19 MPG. This is mainly in sport mode with about 2/3 being high speed highway driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
have about 1.2k miles. Followed break in procedure in the manual. Miles 700 plus were a road trip, few hundred miles getting about 27-28 highway MPG.

why would you expect better mpg for the first thousand miles? I was under the impression it’s the opposite.

edit: SEL premium turbo

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sel premium turbo I get average about 25. 19 to 20 city ish I have about 1000 miles on mine. Drive 1.5 hours to work which is mostly interstate and empty country roads.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
265 Posts
Actual calculated mileage on a 413 mile trip was 28.4 MPG.

After 850 miles the trip computer is reporting 23.2 MPG.

SEL Premium Turbo/AWD.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
265 Posts
Right now on my Limited 2.5T, I have just under 900 miles and have averaged about 18-19 MPG. This is mainly in sport mode with about 2/3 being high speed highway driving.
I see why Chuck only gets 18-19 MPG. I took the SC out in the country on a road with some decent sized straight stretches and tried sport mode for the first time (about 15 miles.)
My cumulative MPG went down by 2/10. It's definitely fun to drive in sports mode. I had commented in another thread I never felt it change gears unless I was looking at the tach
but you can definitely feel it changing in sport mode. I took it over 100MPH 3 times. It will accelerate from 60-100 in no time. I think I'll stick to normal mode most of the time though.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Thanks!
Just picked up my SC Limited (White with gray/orange) just south of Memphis at Homer Skelton Hyundai, Olive Branch, MS (MSRP). I broke in the engine on my trip back to Pensacola varying speeds from 50 - 70 and easy acceleration. First mileage check was about 32 mpg. Second, when I arrive home, was 33.5! Very surprising as it nearly the same as my Cross trek.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just picked up my SC Limited (White with gray/orange) just south of Memphis at Homer Skelton Hyundai, Olive Branch, MS (MSRP). I broke in the engine on my trip back to Pensacola varying speeds from 50 - 70 and easy acceleration. First mileage check was about 32 mpg. Second, when I arrive home, was 33.5! Very surprising as it nearly the same as my Cross trek.

Ohhh would love to see some photos of the gray/orange interior! And congrats!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a question about the MPG ratings on the SC. Do the non-turbo models not factor tonneau since it isn't a standard feature? If so, the best MPG would definitely be SEL w/ Activity Package.
I doubt it would make much of a difference, as the bed is quite short and not having it reduces weight which helps stop&go mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's impressive! I was expecting more like high 20's on the highway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
These numbers are encouraging. I was a little worried after the epa numbers were announced. My 2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4 awd gets higher than EPA. On a typical loop to town and back it’s fairly easy to keep it over 30mpg. 32 mile round trip 80% hwy.

·
Registered
Limited
168 Posts
I had to drive out to the country this weekend. So I set the trip for a short section and was surprised by the readout. I drove easy and put it in 'Smart' mode to try and get a good mpg. It was slightly hilly, speed reduced from 60 mph to 30 mph, and even came to a stop as I hit stoplights as I went through towns. That was with mostly leaving adaptive cruise set at 60 mph and letting it slow and speed up with the vehicles in front of me.

Now, I know the MPG in the trip info is probably off. I'd guess typically reading higher a good amount versus what it is actually getting. But even with knowing that and that I was going probably the most fuel-efficient mph/rpm, I saw 35.5 mpg on the trip info over an 8.4 mile drive. Since adaptive cruise control breaks on downhills and throttles heavy in other instances, I have no dought that someone who wanted to hypermile the SC could be rewarded with some really good mpg.

Now on the way back, I was doing 70-80 mph on the highway. Let's just say the mpg on the trip info was below the EPA-rated number. My Limited had 370 miles on it when I started the drive.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Car computer vs "manual checking" to determine mileage came up in another thread, and I made a somewhat off-topic post there that I'll put here:

This always comes up in gas mileage discussions. In theory, the car's computer system should be the most accurate calculator of mileage, since it measures the fuel actually being passed through the intake system and miles actually traveled.

Doing it the manual way is fraught with variables that affect accuracy - you would have to somehow drive the same way, return to the same gas pump at the same station, park in the same position for your refill, do it at the same time of day (for gasoline and car temperature reasons), and somehow make sure the pump shuts off at the exact same point in the refueling process. Even then, an air pocket in your tank could throw it off (we used to rock our cars back and forth after filling them and they would sometimes take another half-gallon or more).

My point is that other than a laboratory-level test setup, there is always some degree of inaccuracy in ANY kind of test. Some people believe the car companies purposely build in some error in the car's computer to make the mileage look better, and who knows if that's true.

Some people get all OCD about it, but I've done some testing of my own in the past and I'm comfortable with the mileage shown in the car's computer. You could say it's within my personal margin of error. ;)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts