Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
421 - 440 of 448 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
430 Posts
Over my first 2000 miles I have averaged 22.4 mpg (hand calculated) with an indicated 21.2 on the dash.

Most of that discrepancy is probably due to running tires that are 31” compared to the 29.7” tall, stock 20’s.
I’ve noticed that 50-60 is the happy zone and running 70+ on the interstate will result in a drop to around 19 mpg. Seems like I’m driving into the wind every time I’m on the interstate but I did have one tank that was 26 mpg with a decent tail wind.
I’m hoping that summer blend fuel and being done with the break in process will start to see some improvements.

·
Registered
2022 Black SEL Premium AWD
45 Posts
Ya, laws of physics, cant get away from that…
Its been my experience, rocks, gravel and road debris comes from all directions…
Tucking behind a semi or any vehicle towing in a numbers game, drive enough miles and your number will come up. I do not stay behind vehicles that are bigger than mine or towing any longer than I have to for any reason. Point in case, 3am a couple weeks ago with a clueless cement truck driver in the right hand lane. I had to honk and flash my hazards to get him to realize what was going on.

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
A couple weeks ago I realized my mpg was going up. 30 mpg on a couple highway drives at 70 - 75 mph. I had just hit 3000 on the odometer, so I don't know if there is a computer adjustment at 3000 miles, or "summer" gas, or temperature. My work commute mileage has gone up too from ~16 mpg to 19 mpg. Pleasantly surprised.

SEL Premium

Probably summer gas and warmer temps. As the fueling requirements are different with the hotter temps than it is with the cooler temp as well as warming the engine up.

My normal city commute in my Limited over winter was pretty consistent at 20mph. Chicago is warming up and I took the winter tires off. Between tires, warmer temps, and gas, I have been getting 22mpg the last few weeks on my daily commute.

Still no real highway trips in the SC yet.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Also, the computer/SC is pretty accurate in its mpg estimates
I've found this to be true on every vehicle I've owned (multiple makes, models and engine types) yet there seems to be conspiracy theory where people believe the computer is lying to you.

·
Registered
"Hopeful" 2022 Limited, 2004 TJ, 2017 VFR1200X, 2008 Volvo XC70
72 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE FWD
908 Posts
Filled up after our SLC, UT trip... 100% city since then..24.2 mpg Nice hopefully this is the way it's going to be in the summer.
also I don't notice a difference running the A/C In the old days we used to count a 2mpg reduction running it but these new cars are different

·
Registered
252 Posts
In all my vehicles this calculation has never been off more then +/- 1 MPG vs doing the math myself, so 2 MPG is within tolerance. Fuel density is based on temperature and every pump shuts off differently so there is always some variability, it can't be perfect.
I've found this to be true on every vehicle I've owned (multiple makes, models and engine types) yet there seems to be conspiracy theory where people believe the computer is lying to you.
Of all my vehicles I've never saw one all that far off either. Unless you just reset the "instant" while going down a hill. Ive found them to be close enough and ive hand calculated over a million miles.

Distance to empty is laughable sometimes. BUT the mileage is usually pretty close as long as you put enough miles on it

So true…….windshields are not cheap.
I just scheduled my wife’s K5 GT to get a replacement……..$900. At least it’s coming out of the insurance from the lawn maintenance company from her employer.
Drive a wrangler . That straight up and down windshield stays cracked. I replaced 6 in my Rubicon. 70k miles. Lol

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
430 Posts
Of all my vehicles I've never saw one all that far off either. Unless you just reset the "instant" while going down a hill. Ive found them to be close enough and ive hand calculated over a million miles.

Distance to empty is laughable sometimes. BUT the mileage is usually pretty close as long as you put enough miles on it

Drive a wrangler . That straight up and down windshield stays cracked. I replaced 6 in my Rubicon. 70k miles. Lol
I did. I had a YJ that was my around town and trail “toy”. My son called it the “Beep” when he was just learning to talk. We had some awesome times in that rough riding SOB.

Now my eyes are leaking…….who cut the friggin’ onions?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Motor vehicle Hood Leg Green Automotive design

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

what’s laughable is ppl expect the vehicle can predict the future, just too many variables… Having said that, DTE is meant to give you an idea of your range as your tank gets closer to empty…

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have recently noticed that when I'm on the highway the tranny only goes into 7th gear @ 60- 65 mph. I manually put it into 8th. I wonder what mileage I lost on that.
My question is, Is there a certain speed or rpm range that 8th kicks in at? Is 8 th the overdrive gear?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE FWD
908 Posts
I'm hitting 1600-1700 rpm's at 42mph Thats my sweet spot for city driving... up to 42 let it shift and bring it back down to 38 or so...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have recently noticed that when I'm on the highway the tranny only goes into 7th gear @ 60- 65 mph. I manually put it into 8th. I wonder what mileage I lost on that.
My question is, Is there a certain speed or rpm range that 8th kicks in at? Is 8 th the overdrive gear?
I’ve posted multiple times here… on this, it doesn’t like 8th at 80km/hr when it seems so natural…
and you can’t manually shift it to 8th, who I found out, as I usually have it in manual.
you’ll have to speed up close to 90km/hr let it upshift of manually up shift and slow down to 80km/h and 8th gear will stick…

Manually keep it there as we’ll - it’s safe to do so, the wDCT will shift, even in manual, if it feels RPM has dropped to low…

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
what’s laughable is ppl expect the vehicle can predict the future, just too many variables… Having said that, DTE is meant to give you an idea of your range as your tank gets closer to empty…
Akfan probably meant that it underestimates. The larger the tank, usually the more extreme its off. Like w/ a 32 gallon Ram, when it says predicts 0 miles (it won't actually go that close, it just stops displaying an estimate but you can calculate by looking at your trip meter from earlier estimate), it still has another 4 gallons or so left in the tank.

I think they do this because when modern cars actually run out of gas they don't really give warning and just instantly die and you lose power steering and/or brakes, so they tell you that you're empty long before you truly are.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I’ve posted multiple times here… on this, it doesn’t like 8th at 80km/hr when it seems so natural…
and you can’t manually shift it to 8th, who I found out, as I usually have it in manual.
you’ll have to speed up close to 90km/hr let it upshift of manually up shift and slow down to 80km/h and 8th gear will stick…

Manually keep it there as we’ll - it’s safe to do so, the wDCT will shift, even in manual, if it feels RPM has dropped to low…
80kmh is 50 mph so I wouldn't expect it to be in 8th, 90kmh won't activate it. On the interstate at cruzing speed 60- 70mph it should kick in.

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
430 Posts
Akfan probably meant that it underestimates. The larger the tank, usually the more extreme its off. Like w/ a 32 gallon Ram, when it says predicts 0 miles (it won't actually go that close, it just stops displaying an estimate but you can calculate by looking at your trip meter from earlier estimate), it still has another 4 gallons or so left in the tank.

I think they do this because when modern cars actually run out of gas they don't really give warning and just instantly die and you lose power steering and/or brakes, so they tell you that you're empty long before you truly are.
my range showed 20 miles today after I left work and I was only able to put 15 gallons in. 2.7 gallons/15% is a pretty big reserve.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
"you can’t manually shift it to 8th"
You can when you move the shifter from full automatic.
You cant shift up when going 80km/h from 7th to 8th
You’ll need to increase closer to 90km/h to be able to shift up - I typically drive in manual ( shifter to the left) just using the paddles will only give you manual for about 6 seconds before it goes to automatic mode.

421 - 440 of 448 Posts