Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
461 - 479 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,115 Posts
I've be using Fuelly to keep track of my MPG and since Oct 21' My total avg. The SC says.....24.3 and fuelly says 24.3.... pretty dead-on... Oh' that is around 95% city

·
Registered
2022 Hampton Gray Santa Cruz
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Gotta say ... the punky gas mileage on the road is the biggest factor in me trading the SC in a week or so (when the K5 is delivered). Some of you say you get fairly good mileage on the highway going 70 or less, but ****, who goes 70 on the highway? Most highways where I go have 75 or 80 mph speed limits, and that means the traffic flow is 80-90 mph.

I usually keep it to 5 over, but even on interstates, that means 80 mph. And that means about 20-22 mpg. Heck, my wife's blocky-square turbo Soul gets 32-33. And with today's prices, 10 mpg is enough to get your attention.

I believe the SC 2.5 turbo is rated at 27 mpg highway, and I have always gotten better than the EPA rating on my cars so I was willing to accept 27-29 mpg. But 20-22 doesn't cut it.

I expect the K5 to turn some much better numbers, even though it's using the same drivetrain.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD
96 Posts
It will be interesting to see what you get with your K5 when you get it. Those are nice cars and I loved my 2020 Sonata SEL Plus (sister car to the K5) with the 1.6 turbo but I was tired of crawling in and out of it. I'm sure the K5 will be better than the Santa Cruz with gas mileage. When I drove my Sonata to trade it in this past Friday it showed 40 mpg on the car's computer for gas mileage on my drive out, a little over 2 hours, which varied anywhere from 65-80mph. And that 1.6 is one peppy lil engine (I still don't understand why the 1.6 turbo isn't the base engine in the Santa Cruz as the fat/flat torque curve alone would be a much better fit than the 2.5 n/a). It made me question myself for a minute if I was making the right decision...lol. Then I saw the Santa Cruz and remembered how handy that little bed will be for me at times and got over it. So far I've been managing a cumulative 27 mpg with my n/a 2.5 according to the computer in the 247 miles I've driven it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Gotta say ... the punky gas mileage on the road is the biggest factor in me trading the SC in a week or so (when the K5 is delivered). Some of you say you get fairly good mileage on the highway going 70 or less, but ****, who goes 70 on the highway? Most highways where I go have 75 or 80 mph speed limits, and that means the traffic flow is 80-90 mph.

I usually keep it to 5 over, but even on interstates, that means 80 mph. And that means about 20-22 mpg. Heck, my wife's blocky-square turbo Soul gets 32-33. And with today's prices, 10 mpg is enough to get your attention.

I believe the SC 2.5 turbo is rated at 27 mpg highway, and I have always gotten better than the EPA rating on my cars so I was willing to accept 27-29 mpg. But 20-22 doesn't cut it.

I expect the K5 to turn some much better numbers, even though it's using the same drivetrain.
Mine is the non-turbo. Driving in smart mode. In my pic cruise was set on 76 and hit 32 mpg for the trip. Very happy.

And personally, I didn't want a sedan. And comparing that to the SC isn't even a close match IMO. But if you're happy go with it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now that a few members have had their Santa Cruzes for awhile, it's time to start getting real-world gas mileage figures.

Please let us know what kind of gas mileage you're seeing, making sure to note which engine you have and whether it's highway, in-town or mixed driving.

Thanks!
I'm just under 9000 miles, and was getting about 22 mpg with mixed driving, but more highway than not. I've got the SEL, 2.5 NA. Just did a lift, with larger tires, so I'll see what it looks like after a couple of weeks driving with this setup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Key information required on any MPG post (y)
MPG coming out of a Chick-fil-A drive thru during rush hour - 0.00mpg
Key information: Trim level - Any, Engin - Any.
Hours of your life you're never going to get back: .5 hours

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm just under 9000 miles, and was getting about 22 mpg with mixed driving, but more highway than not. I've got the SEL, 2.5 NA. Just did a lift, with larger tires, so I'll see what it looks like after a couple of weeks driving with this setup.
Mike am wondering if you are running in smart mode and if your Awd could be on all 4 wheels when it should be on front only. Akb

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
575 Posts

My wife's K5 GT regularly gets 36+ mpg running 75 or so. It's tough hypermiling that car since it feels so good to jab the throttle, but I've had several tanks over 36 mpg, which is amazing to me.

My SC on the other hand is not that impressive due to some aero issues and 31's.

·
Registered
Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL-AWD
10 Posts
I purchased SEL-AWD in January, just turned 2000 miles of local short trip driving have barely averaged 20mpg. Left this morning for trip to north Georgia, 2 passengers 500lb of gear 90% highway cruise on 78. 10% stop and go thru small towns, avg 29.5 mpg over 575 miles. Very happy with truck and all features and performance.ūüĎć

461 - 479 of 479 Posts