Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The trip includes about 200 miles each way of 80mph speed limit interstate (which I'll drive at 85), and I'm sure the mileage on that stretch will suck. :(
Should still be way better then in your in town mileage. Stop and go traffic KILLS mileage because anytime the vehicle isn't moving (sitting at red light for example) your getting 0 MPG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
300 miles on 1st full tank of premium. I'm on track for tank 2 to be the same. I use smart mode mainly with an itch scratching sport mode for short bursts.

Since hyundai gives zero options to request the hitch and 7 pin from factory, get your debit card back out. You'll need the receiver, the ball hitch , the 7pin and most likely a brake controller... WHY ADVERTISE 5000LBS towing if you can't tow with it without spending another 700-1k to get it ready... hopefully you're gifted and can make the after market mods look professional..

SMDH hyundai...

Still, if you were pulling 5000lbs in this vehicle, you'll be stopping for gas ever 150 miles or so. This doesn't work for me, so I'll be trading mine in soon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
300 miles on 1st full tank of premium. I'm on track for tank 2 to be the same. I use smart mode mainly with an itch scratching sport mode for short bursts.

Since hyundai gives zero options to request the hitch and 7 pin from factory, get your debit card back out. You'll need the receiver, the ball hitch , the 7pin and most likely a brake controller... WHY ADVERTISE 5000LBS towing if you can't tow with it without spending another 700-1k to get it ready... hopefully you're gifted and can make the after market mods look professional..

SMDH hyundai...

Still, if you were pulling 5000lbs in this vehicle, you'll be stopping for gas ever 150 miles or so. This doesn't work for me, so I'll be trading mine in soon.
You do realize when you're in smart drive mode, to get in Sport Mode, it only requires you to change your driving style, right? It will automatically adjust from Eco/Comfort/Sport all on it's own when in Smart.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
Any particular reason you're running Premium in it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You do realize when you're in smart drive mode, to get in Sport Mode, it only requires you to change your driving style, right? It will automatically adjust from Eco/Comfort/Sport all on it's own when in Smart.
Yep I do. Started driving like I did in my older heavier truck... you know... annoyingly do to spare the gas on the V8... this is a turbo charged 4cyl. Can't imagine the low mileage of maxing out the 5000lb claim... suppose it's my fault. I'm gullible by nature.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I may test that out but I've always used premium. On my past vehicles, premium always ran a little smoother overall a little better.

That's not the point I was making, though.
Only thing I can help with cost wise. Regarding how frequent fuelup would be while approaching the 5K lb tow limit, 150 miles / 15 gallons (leaving 2 gallon spare) = 10mpg. I would think the SC would do better than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only thing I can help with cost wise. Regarding how frequent fuelup would be while approaching the 5K lb tow limit, 150 miles / 15 gallons (leaving 2 gallon spare) = 10mpg. I would think the SC would do better than that.
OR look for a way to expand the fuel capacity. Even a small reserve tank would help. I get I'm poking at minor things. Folks, This is the TOP OF THE LINE trim. I feel a little deceived over these minor but real issues.
Anyone curious how that terrain mode helps in the real world? ME TOO! Americans don't get the terrain modes. It's not even an option (this I admit I knew going in). SMDH then the towing package... wait... nope no towing package ... that one surprised me.
WTH did I buy it anyway? Lol Well, at least the truck bed does exactly what I knew and expected. Thats why. Oh, and it is very very quick and fun to drive...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Regarding how frequent fuelup would be while approaching the 5K lb tow limit, 150 miles / 15 gallons (leaving 2 gallon spare) = 10mpg. I would think the SC would do better than that.
It better or there is no reason for me to buy one. I assume it will get around 15 because that is about what the Ranger manages. Given the tank size and estimated MPG the SC would have the same range as my V8 Dakota - about 220 miles.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A little worried I got less then 19 on my first tank, I think it was 18.4 mpg. No long trips, other then the first 40 miles back from the dealer. Still the majority of my around town trips are 8 mile round trips mostly on the 1 exit down the highway to my toddlers daycare.

Hopefully though that's just the first tank. I would be happy if I was getting 22 mpg.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A little worried I got less then 19 on my first tank, I think it was 18.4 mpg. No long trips, other then the first 40 miles back from the dealer. Still the majority of my around town trips are 8 mile round trips mostly on the 1 exit down the highway to my toddlers daycare.

Hopefully though that's just the first tank. I would be happy if I was getting 22 mpg.
SEL Premium with the 2.5T. Under 18mpg on first tank myself, mostly driving around the suburbs to/from grocery stores, big box stores, etc. Lots of lights. Still half a tank on my 2nd fill and showing 18.2mpg so not much better. 450 total miles on the SC. No drag racing, just normal suburb living driving. I have yet to own a Hyundai or Kia that has met the stated mpg on their stickers. Like you, I'm hoping mpg's improve to around 20. I'll never get into the mid/upper 20's as I rarely do any highway driving. Most of our roads are 45mph "parkways" that have lights every few hundred feet. City estimated MPG is 19. I live in the suburbs. I'll take 20.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm getting slightly concerned that I'm about a quarter into the second tank and my mpg is going between 16.8 and 17.2

I don't think I'm driving too heavy footed. And after the first tank only got me 18.4 I tried to be more conscious of braking and throttle.

Hopefully it will start to even out as I get more miles on this tank.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I won’t know for sure until I fill it and than refill but according to the computer I’m getting 23.8,mpg city 14.3 miles daily to work and back…..I’m still on the dealers gas

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
Only got 17.82mpg on my first city driving only tank (manual calc). That one has several pedal to the metal red line runs on it though. I wanted to do a few of those before changing my oil. The computer average reads 23.4mpg with about 2,200 miles on it now.

·
Registered
Hampton Limited
32 Posts

It was a 70 mile drive home from the dealer with no traffic and the SC got close to 27 mpg. I am getting consistently 19.2 mpg. My commute to work in So Cal is seven miles by street. Going to work at 6 am, it says 17-18 and coming home when it is warmer, it says 21-22 which makes sense the average of 19.

I think during the short morning commute the SC is doing a lot of things to warm itself up and by the time it's nice and warm, I stop and park. A longer commute and a little highway would probably get me to 22-24.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I'm getting slightly concerned that I'm about a quarter into the second tank and my mpg is going between 16.8 and 17.2

I don't think I'm driving too heavy footed. And after the first tank only got me 18.4 I tried to be more conscious of braking and throttle.

Hopefully it will start to even out as I get more miles on this tank.
Which engine?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So what is the definition of “city”. Is it driving in downtown Chicago with a stoplight on evry block? Does it include stoo and start rush hour traffic? Is it suburb driving going back and forth to the home depot?

·
Registered
306 Posts
So what is the definition of “city”. Is it driving in downtown Chicago with a stoplight on evry block? Does it include stoo and start rush hour traffic? Is it suburb driving going back and forth to the home depot?
For me it's 35mph or less, a light every city block that you might make or not.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts