Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
So what is the definition of “city”. Is it driving in downtown Chicago with a stoplight on evry block? Does it include stoo and start rush hour traffic? Is it suburb driving going back and forth to the home depot?
For me it's no highway or freeway driving in the city with lights every block. No country roads around my home. Runs to: grocery store, home depot, Costco, dining out, relatives, friends, etc... Come to think of it, I did make one freeway at rush hour 40-50 mile round trip on my last tank.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So what is the definition of “city”. Is it driving in downtown Chicago with a stoplight on evry block? Does it include stoo and start rush hour traffic? Is it suburb driving going back and forth to the home depot?
The simple answer is YES.

There's no set definition of "city" driving for the average driver. The EPA OTOH has a simulated driving course they use, that involves a specific number of miles with a specific number of stops and goes and specific acceleration patterns, etc. Vehicles are connected to a computer with this algoritm, and run on a device that allows the wheels to turn on a roller, kinda like used on dynos.

But with 85% of the vehicles they certify, they simply take the carmakers' word for it. Then they do random testing of vehicles to "keep the carmakers honest".

HERE'S a good article explaining it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A little worried I got less then 19 on my first tank, I think it was 18.4 mpg. No long trips, other then the first 40 miles back from the dealer. Still the majority of my around town trips are 8 mile round trips mostly on the 1 exit down the highway to my toddlers daycare.

Hopefully though that's just the first tank. I would be happy if I was getting 22 mpg.
Im similar. Im getting much less than advertised here, driving in Smart mode. Ive never reached 17mpg so far, although all city driving. On my second tank now.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Im similar. Im getting much less than advertised here, driving in Smart mode. Ive never reached 17mpg so far, although all city driving. On my second tank now.
Yeah, this is something that has me leaning a bit towards the Maverick Hybrid even though I much prefer the styling and interior and brunk and keyfob tailgate of the SC, as so far reports are that it seems to be pretty spot on or even slightly higher than its 37mpg advertised mixed mileage. :(

I really hope I'm wrong about the SC not coming available in a hybrid, I would kick myself if they announce it in January or something.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One thing that bugged me about Maverick.... Once the hybrid finally get delivered thee base will probably be a fleet truck....with thousands of them on the street...for sale etc..,
I don't want every vendor driving the same rig as mine... Every lease/rental the same as mine, oh sure mine would be a XLT or Lariat or who cares? Most people wouldn't know the difference but they will know it's a Ford Maverick like Grandpa Chris's lol
I can't see that happening with the Santa Cruz. Unique for sure

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
Yeah, this is something that has me leaning a bit towards the Maverick Hybrid even though I much prefer the styling and interior and brunk and keyfob tailgate of the SC, as so far reports are that it seems to be pretty spot on or even slightly higher than its 37mpg advertised mixed mileage. :(
You mean you don't believe this?
I’ve been running premium on map 2 of my JB4 and I’m getting anywhere from 34-37mpg on the highway with cruise set to 72. 37mpg was the wind behind me one day blowing pretty good but I’ll take it.
37mpg going down hill with a tailwind for 2 miles based on the computer??? 🤭

·
Registered
Limited
168 Posts
I posted where I saw 35+ MPG on a short trip. I think in the right conditions it could happen. If someone were to try to hyper-mile the SC, I think they would be rewarded.

Also, all my fill-ups have shown more MPG than the trip computer shows. Using the gallons used and mileage. So not sure the calculated number is WAY off.

I have just over 1,400 miles on my 2.5T AWD. The total accumulated miles shows 21.x. About what it shows per tank with mixed driving. With as high as 23 on a tank of mixed driving. There is definitely a difference when I run around town. If I saw 13-15 MPG from a cold start, through town, and to the grocery store, I would not be surprised at all. Heck, letting the car warm up can drastically reduce MPG on short trips. As well as short trips where I am heavy on the throttle. So can different people have vasty different experiences? I believe it is very possible based on several factors.

General warning to people in cities and sit in traffic a lot, people who warm up their vehicles for a long duration, are heavy on the pedal, or all of the above....your mileage is not going to be good. haha That is where an EV or Hybrid will really benefit you. No doubt. Now if you live in a flat area, most drives are many miles long at 55-65 mph, hardly touch the gas pedal, and don't use your brakes....you may realize the SC can get surprisingly good MPG.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
I have found my actual MPG (fuel/distance calculations match what goes into Fuelly) is CONSISTENTLY higher than the number displayed by the computer onboard. Not sure why, but it is very consistently off by about the same margin. Makes the DTE figure wildly inaccurate as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have found my actual MPG (fuel/distance calculations match what goes into Fuelly) is CONSISTENTLY higher than the number displayed by the computer onboard. Not sure why, but it is very consistently off by about the same margin. Makes the DTE figure wildly inaccurate as well.
I suspect this as well. Ill do a manual track on next fillup.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have found my actual MPG (fuel/distance calculations match what goes into Fuelly) is CONSISTENTLY higher than the number displayed by the computer onboard.
By how much? I've never seen the onboard computer vs the standard miles/gallon math method vary any more then 2 MPG on my other vehicles. Everyone thinks the computer reads high due some kind of conspiracy theory that OEM's are trying to trick you into believing your car gets better mileage :rolleyes: The DTE calculation will vary widely since its based on recent mileage, IE: if you sitting at traffic light getting 0 MPG your DTE will drop like a rock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
By how much? I've never seen the onboard computer vs the standard miles/gallon math method vary any more then 2 MPG on my other vehicles. Everyone thinks the computer reads high due some kind of conspiracy theory that OEM's are trying to trick you into believing your car gets better mileage :rolleyes: The DTE calculation will vary widely since its based on recent mileage, IE: if you sitting at traffic light getting 0 MPG your DTE will drop like a rock.
sitting idle doesnt burn hardly any gas and is typically figured into the metrics so you arent actually getting 0 MPG.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
186 Posts
sitting idle doesnt burn hardly any gas and is typically figured into the metrics so you arent actually getting 0 MPG.
I don't know about that. I've been getting almost 20 mpg with daily use (closer to 30 on the highway), except for my last fillup. That fillup included idling at the drive-in movie for 2+ hours while watching Venom 2, and I got under 18 mpg. So approximately 2 hours of idling cost 2 mpg over the whole tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know about that. I've been getting almost 20 mpg with daily use (closer to 30 on the highway), except for my last fillup. That fillup included idling at the drive-in movie for 2+ hours while watching Venom 2, and I got under 18 mpg. So approximately 2 hours of idling cost 2 mpg over the whole tank.
idling for 2 hours, and idling at a stop light for 45 seconds are entirely different animals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
as I stated: "Excessive idling decreases MPG. The EPA city test includes idling, but more idling will lower MPG."

·
Registered
186 Posts
idling for 2 hours, and idling at a stop light for 45 seconds are entirely different animals.
I don't count waiting at a stop light as "sitting idle". To me, "sitting idle" is exactly that - sitting idle with no intention of moving any time soon.

as I stated: "Excessive idling decreases MPG. The EPA city test includes idling, but more idling will lower MPG."

I was simply responding to the post of yours that I quoted, not to your entire output on this site.

·
Registered
637 Posts
In the city, lots of revs = little distance, no matter how you try. Whether bumper-to-bumper or cruising between lights on suburban roads, you never get to see that gas-saving top gear. You gotta get those top gear stilts under you to see any really good mileage.

Just be glad you don't have to put up with that Stop-and-Go system some manufacturers use to squeeze another deci-digit out of their MPG rating.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In the city, lots of revs = little distance, no matter how you try. Whether bumper-to-bumper or cruising between lights on suburban roads, you never get to see that gas-saving top gear. You gotta get those top gear stilts under you to see any really good mileage.

Just be glad you don't have to put up with that Stop-and-Go system some manufacturers use to squeeze another deci-digit out of their MPG rating.
As long as I get ~20 mpg in daily use (commuting 12.5 miles each way, combined city/hwy), I'm good.

If I was concerned about getting the best mileage possible, I'd still be commuting on my 55 mpg Piaggio BV350.

·
Registered
306 Posts
As long as I get ~20 mpg in daily use (commuting 12.5 miles each way, combined city/hwy), I'm good.

If I was concerned about getting the best mileage possible, I'd still be commuting on my 55 mpg Piaggio BV350.
I would still be waiting for the elusive Ford Maverick Hybrid that wont get OKTB/EPA until 12/8/21

·
Registered
Limited
168 Posts
I have a similar commute with 11.5 miles each way. I get 21.5 to 22.5 mpg. Letting it warm up a while before I leave or hitting a drive-through may end me up closer to 20 mpg. You should be fine unless you have a lead foot. lol

81 - 100 of 138 Posts