Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz Night edition on 10/18/2022, previously had a 2012 Hyundai Tucson as the original owner and barely had issues so was happy to stick with Hyundai. The Santa Cruz only had 30 or so miles on it when I received it. Yesterday, I noticed the pull back going from 1st-2nd gear so got worried. I was close to home thankfully. This morning I started up and received the error. 251 miles only, so disappointing. Waiting to get it to a local dealer, etc. but really disappointed because I did like this vehicle. Will advise of outcome.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
189 Posts
Bought a 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz Night edition on 10/18/2022, previously had a 2012 Hyundai Tucson as the original owner and barely had issues so was happy to stick with Hyundai. The Santa Cruz only had 30 or so miles on it when I received it. Yesterday, I noticed the pull back going from 1st-2nd gear so got worried. I was close to home thankfully. This morning I started up and received the error. 251 miles only, so disappointing. Waiting to get it to a local dealer, etc. but really disappointed because I did like this vehicle. Will advise of outcome.
Incredibly unlucky. That's a new code AFAIK, my failure was DTC P087501

Best of luck dude, you're gonna need it

· Registered
497 Posts
What would you call it? An oopsie poopsie?

It's a full blown ****show
Compared to the 5.2 MILLION Theta engines they eventually had to admit they messed up on......SO FAR

Its a hiccup

Even compared to what Ford had with dct and what Nissan and subaru had with CVT i don't think the rate is any higher yet.

Just another company too lazy to test and vet their product. Letting the consumers be their beta testers

· Registered
364 Posts
Just another company too lazy to test and vet their product. Letting the consumers be their beta testers
I don’t even think that is a fair assessment. When you are sourcing your components from dozens or more 3rd party providers, things like this are bound to happen. When they were testing the transmissions, I’m sure that they worked just fine. The poor soldering was probably introduced well after that.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Compared to the 5.2 MILLION Theta engines they eventually had to admit they messed up on......SO FAR

Its a hiccup

Even compared to what Ford had with dct and what Nissan and subaru had with CVT i don't think the rate is any higher yet.

Full blown **** show would be the Theta engine and every Ford Hybrid Maverick and Escape being recalled for fire 🔥 issues. or GM transmission issue from 1966 to 1980
wDCT, so far couple hundred incidents documented at time of recall - total impacted by the recall 53,000 across 6 different vehicles - 9000+ SC part of the recall… (to be inspected)

· Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,963 Posts
What a bee-otch! I feel for you. Heck, I drove my SC home almost 2,000 from another state over a year ago to get it. If my tranny blew up on my drive home I would have been one very unhappy camper. Hang in there and best of luck.

And others are complaining about the dust on their black interior... :rolleyes:

Reactions: ffemt210

· Registered
497 Posts
I don’t even think that is a fair assessment. When you are sourcing your components from dozens or more 3rd party providers, things like this are bound to happen. When they were testing the transmissions, I’m sure that they worked just fine. The poor soldering was probably introduced well after that.

Things like peeling interior trim and condensation in between the headlights and clear cover are 100% due to lack of testing. We all knew it was an issue within a month.....did they not drive a cruz for a month?

It's not just hyundai. Its the industry all together. Some are worse than others. Toyota doesn't update anything so they tend to be less so. Lol

· Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
502 Posts
My 2 cents, I suspect this is the new normal along with just in time manufacturing, devops, Agile, and many others as part of contemporary product delivery. Unfortunately, I believe these companies also rely on numbers, statistics, project management, and software modeling to understand a products reliability and also to reduce costs and cycle time to delivery….while doing minimal real world tests. As time goes on I’m sure the process will mature….but for now it appears to have serious shortcomings.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update: vehicle was towed by Hyundai roadside assistance to local dealer, arrived at 9am. Probably called the service dept. 10 times to find out status, when vehicle would be looked at, loaner, etc. Never received a callback, still in the dark, Contacted Hyundai USA, opened case, allegedly “escalated” but still have to wait 3-5 days. I’m in NYS so if the repairs require the dealer to hold it for over 30 days, it’s eligible for refund under the lemon law. Given what I’ve read, I notified Hyundai I’d be pursuing it. But right now, I cant even get the dealer to call me back. There is another dealer a little further away so that’s my call tomorrow. Im beside myself given the treatment as a customer.

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
189 Posts
Just an update: vehicle was towed by Hyundai roadside assistance to local dealer, arrived at 9am. Probably called the service dept. 10 times to find out status, when vehicle would be looked at, loaner, etc. Never received a callback, still in the dark, Contacted Hyundai USA, opened case, allegedly “escalated” but still have to wait 3-5 days. I’m in NYS so if the repairs require the dealer to hold it for over 30 days, it’s eligible for refund under the lemon law. Given what I’ve read, I notified Hyundai I’d be pursuing it. But right now, I cant even get the dealer to call me back. There is another dealer a little further away so that’s my call tomorrow. Im beside myself given the treatment as a customer.
At the very least whatever way this goes, you'll have a solution in 30 days or less. Consumer protection laws like in New York are so important for situations like this.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well that really does suck! as it was a different code then the recall, the rest of us on the 2023 band wagon can only hope yours is an isolated incident ... not that it helps you.
Hey, if it's an isolated issue that could be solved easily, I'd be very pleased. For me and everyone else, but I'm planning for the worst.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts