Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

· Registered
2023 SEL Premium
122 Posts
Was at Ford dealer last week for unrelated issue. Tons of people in the service department pissed off too. Can't get their cars looked at for 3-4 days, no loaners, weeks to get parts. Basically a big FY and you figure out how to get around. I think this is the new normal unfortunately.

· Registered
497 Posts
Was at Ford dealer last week for unrelated issue. Tons of people in the service department pissed off too. Can't get their cars looked at for 3-4 days, no loaners, weeks to get parts. Basically a big FY and you figure out how to get around. I think this is the new normal unfortunately.
The thing about Ford/ GM is that if one dealer is busy, your 10 minutes away from 3 more. With hyundai you don't get 3 days estimates to look at your car You get 2 weeks or more and little option as to another dealer in most cases

But I agree on parts. We have a backlog of things waiting for parts.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
When you are sourcing your components from dozens or more 3rd party providers, things like this are bound to happen. When they were testing the transmissions, I’m sure that they worked just fine. The poor soldering was probably introduced well after that.
This is surely what happened. Now was the problem caused by H/K chosing the lowest bidder for this part and that 3rd party screwing up due to be forced to squeeze out profits from razor thin margins? Again a likely scenario.

The problem now is what @GaryH stated - with just-in-time delivery there isn't a bucket of good parts just sitting around allowing for a quick fix. All it takes is $5 part to render a $40k machine worthless.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
The thing about Ford/ GM is that if one dealer is busy, your 10 minutes away from 3 more. With hyundai you don't get 3 days estimates to look at your car You get 2 weeks or more and little option as to another dealer in most cases

But I agree on parts. We have a backlog of things waiting for parts.
Depends where you live, closest for me is 10min away, next three are all with in 20 min drive, another two with in 30 minute drive
30 with in an hour drive.
i never had issues getting an appointment on the dates I wanted, usually Saturday mornings.
Map Terrestrial plant Organism Biome Line

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Depends where you live, closest for me is 10min away, next three are all with in 20 min drive, another two with in 30 minute drive
WOW, in comparison even here in FL (3rd biggest market) there are only 4 dealers within 30 mins of me.

835 Hyundai dealers vs 2,978 Ford dealers in the US :eek:

· Registered
497 Posts
30 with in an hour drive.
i never had issues getting an appointment on the dates I wanted, usually Saturday mornings.
View attachment 14564

Wow. You are in pretty good shape.

The fact that you have 30 within an hour just makes it worse for most of the US. Lol . Ford has 2900 dealers in the US (3500 combined) and Hyundai has 1000 between US and Canada. So for most of us, we pass up 3 .5 Ford dealer to find 1 Hyundai. Within an hour I have none, but I have 11 Ford and 11 GM. I can be a Ford dealer or GM dealer within 20 minutes any direction

Personally I can travel east 2 hours to get to one. Or I can travel west 2 hours to get to one. Thats my closest two. But I pass 2 Ford dealer one way and 3 the other to get to those towns. Both of which also have a Ford dealer.

· Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
502 Posts
Here in Dallas Ft Worth area, there is approx 15 + dealers I think, along with maybe a hundred or so here in Texas, and I think that’s why we have so many Texas owners on this forum….lots of availability compared to other places.

Update: Verified…15 in the local DFW area but I stand corrected on the Texas number, there are 65 dealers in Texas….per website, but still…I think Calif, Florida and Texas are largest concentration of dealers in the US. Number of Hyundai locations in the USA in 2022 | ScrapeHero

DFW dealers:
Azure Slope Font Art Circle

· Registered
497 Posts
Here in Dallas Ft Worth area, there is approx 15 + dealers I think, along with maybe a hundred more here in Texas, and I think that’s why we have so many Texas owners on this forum….lots of availability compared to other places.
No wonder most of us have none... they are in Texas/california and Canada. Lol.

· Registered
200 Posts
Entering Winter tire season is always chaos, everyone wants theirs done, you'd be lucky to get 3-4 days anywhere and if you did, its because someone else canceled!

· Registered
2023 SEL Premium
122 Posts
Entering Winter tire season is always chaos, everyone wants theirs done, you'd be lucky to get 3-4 days anywhere and if you did, its because someone else canceled!
These were people just needing repairs, not tire changes. I wouldn't want to be at Discount Tire though right before the first good snowstorm.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Had winters put on this past Saturday by my Hyundai dealer, I have them “hotel” my tires for the SC. I booked a week in advance.
the other two cars, I have home service, they come to my place and swap the tires out. being done this Saturday coming up. I booked about a month ago.

i use to go to my mechanic with no appointments, but since Covid, he no longer opens on weekends

· Registered
26 Posts
Bought a 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz Night edition on 10/18/2022, previously had a 2012 Hyundai Tucson as the original owner and barely had issues so was happy to stick with Hyundai. The Santa Cruz only had 30 or so miles on it when I received it. Yesterday, I noticed the pull back going from 1st-2nd gear so got worried. I was close to home thankfully. This morning I started up and received the error. 251 miles only, so disappointing. Waiting to get it to a local dealer, etc. but really disappointed because I did like this vehicle. Will advise of outcome.
Oh no, I figured with the recall in place, the 23 SC DCT was good to go. Good luck.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The saga continues, still no updates, no details from dealer despite repeated calls and emails. Repeated calls to Hyundai USA have been fruitless. What horrible customer service all around. ive filed complaints where applicable but at a loss what else to do other than continued calls.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Heard back from dealer, vehicle (257 miles) will probably need new transmission. They will confirm asap but have a loaner vehicle for pick up tomorrow. Needless to say I am disgusted, I'm assuming once the repairs are complete (if it hits the 30 day mark) I should pursue lemon law refund.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I was going over the docs available at 2022 HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ PU/CC AWD | NHTSA in regards to recall 236 (my VIN is not listed), and observed this in Attachment A (Amended):

On October 28, 2022, HMMA informed NASO that HMMA inadvertently excluded applicable Santa Fe and Santa Cruz vehicles from the original recall population due to utilizing the software improvement applied date for the transmission instead of the vehicle applied date. Hyundai is submitting amended information regarding affected vehicle population based on final confirmation of vehicles from HMMA.

Looking at the November 1, 2022 notice, looks like they extended the recall to Santa Cruz built between JUN 22, 2021 - MAY 13, 2022 (it was originally JUN 22, 2021 - MAR 25, 2022). So my concern is they are playing catch-up and most likely my Santa Cruz will be ultimately packaged into this recall (my Santa Cruz was built 9/15/2022). I've notified NHTSA, Hyundai, etc but my bigger concern is there was a STOP SALE notice on the recall, so the possibility exists that I was sold a vehicle (purchased 10/18/2022) that should not have entered the market. Obviously, I can't change that now, but if I am right, I would hope Hyundai would attempt to resolve this issue as soon as possible, rather than wait for lemon law provisions.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts