Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
Your analysis sounds right. You posted above a purchase date but not a build date. Would you consider posting that (from the driver’s door sill)?

What seems likely is their engineers came up with a software mitigation that enabled HMMA to continue to sell the vehicles with faulty transmissions, thus in effect kicking the can down the road. Not only would this sidestep the Stop Sale, it would avoid many lemon law settlements while, at the same time, the software would delay or prevent failures long enough to ease their supply chain issues for tranny replacements. Step by step they could lengthen the timeline of affected vehicles much as VW did with the dreaded timing chain tensioner problem they had 10 years ago. (I know. I had one.)

By the way, the “new normal” of car manufacturers letting consumers deal with their engineering flops has been normal for quite some years now.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Your analysis sounds right. You posted above a purchase date but not a build date. Would you consider posting that (from the driver’s door sill)?

What seems likely is their engineers came up with a software mitigation that enabled HMMA to continue to sell the vehicles with faulty transmissions, thus in effect kicking the can down the road. Not only would this sidestep the Stop Sale, it would avoid many lemon law settlements while, at the same time, the software would delay or prevent failures long enough to ease their supply chain issues for tranny replacements. Step by step they could lengthen the timeline of affected vehicles much as VW did with the dreaded timing chain tensioner problem they had 10 years ago. (I know. I had one.)

By the way, the “new normal” of car manufacturers letting consumers deal with their engineering flops has been normal for quite some years now.
I did post the build date in my last post: 9/15/2022

· Registered
263 Posts
Car makers routinely limit recalls to as few vehicles as possible, and often expand them as more information becomes available. I expect that this recall will eventually include later built SCs, but we will only know that at some future date.

The safe bet right now would be to not buy a Hyundai with this DCT.

· Registered
584 Posts
Bought a 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz Night edition on 10/18/2022, previously had a 2012 Hyundai Tucson as the original owner and barely had issues so was happy to stick with Hyundai. The Santa Cruz only had 30 or so miles on it when I received it. Yesterday, I noticed the pull back going from 1st-2nd gear so got worried. I was close to home thankfully. This morning I started up and received the error. 251 miles only, so disappointing. Waiting to get it to a local dealer, etc. but really disappointed because I did like this vehicle. Will advise of outcome.
Interesting, all the SC with 8 speed DTC are on a sales hold. They must have allowed the delivery due to it being a 2023??

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update: dealer confirmed transmission will need replacement (just a reminder, this 2023 SC Night was built 9/15/2022, purchased 10/18/2022) at 251 miles. Claims to have located 2 Hyundai transmissions in the US, put one on order. No estimated timeline for delivery and repair but was able to get a loaner vehicle today. I've been updating my complaint with Hyundai, also with NHTSA, BBB Auto Line, etc. I'm taking the position that my vehicle should have been included in the recall and STOP SALE and should have never been sold.

· Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
502 Posts
uspokelly, sorry you are having issues. Not sure I understand on what basis you are taking your stated position. That would presume that you have actual info that vehicles produced after the May date were sold fraudulently or deceptively?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’m basing my position in the docs available under NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V746000. The first safety recall report dated October 6, 2022, affected 100% of the vehicles. HMA issued recall notice 236 on October 7, 2022, which included the stop sale notice on unsold vehicles. An updated recall notice issued November 1, 2022, extened the recall for more vehicles (pushing forward manufacturing date), again affecting 100% of vehicles. An amended attachment indicated the following:

On October 28, 2022, HMMA informed NASO that HMMA inadvertently excluded applicable Santa Fe and Santa Cruz vehicles from the original recall population due to utilizing the software improvement applied date for the transmission instead of the vehicle applied date.
Hyundai is submitting amended information regarding affected vehicle population based on final confirmation of vehicles from HMMA.

My vehicle is experiencing the same catastrophic failure resulting the same repair (full transmission replacement). It is reasonable to believe that the recall notice will again be updated to include the date my vehicle was built. Unless Hyundai can show they used completely different parts, etc. to not expect continued failure, preponderance of evidence shows that the vehicle would be affected and should not have been sold given the knowledge at the time of sale.

· Registered
200 Posts
I’m basing my position in the docs available under NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V746000. The first safety recall report dated October 6, 2022, affected 100% of the vehicles. HMA issued recall notice 236 on October 7, 2022, which included the stop sale notice on unsold vehicles. An updated recall notice issued November 1, 2022, extened the recall for more vehicles (pushing forward manufacturing date), again affecting 100% of vehicles. An amended attachment indicated the following:

On October 28, 2022, HMMA informed NASO that HMMA inadvertently excluded applicable Santa Fe and Santa Cruz vehicles from the original recall population due to utilizing the software improvement applied date for the transmission instead of the vehicle applied date.
Hyundai is submitting amended information regarding affected vehicle population based on final confirmation of vehicles from HMMA.

My vehicle is experiencing the same catastrophic failure resulting the same repair (full transmission replacement). It is reasonable to believe that the recall notice will again be updated to include the date my vehicle was built. Unless Hyundai can show they used completely different parts, etc. to not expect continued failure, preponderance of evidence shows that the vehicle would be affected and should not have been sold given the knowledge at the time of sale.
Having a build date of 9-14-22, I can feel my behind pucker up a bit... Gonna be a long winter!

· Registered
502 Posts
You currently have the same symptom possibly as others reporting the failure, but IMO it does not necessarily mean you have the same cause. Best to you. You have a lot of preponderance there and I suspect will have to bear the burden of proof.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
True, but preponderance is the burden of proof standard in civil court. I just don’t trust the vehicle any longer And others who have received a new transmission are reporting performance issues. Just doesn't ride the same.

· Registered
502 Posts
I’m not trying to minimize this, but one thing stands out to me here. This so far has been reported as an electronic/software failure. I don’t believe that I have seen anywhere that this is what I would call a “classic mechanical issue”….like the trans design is junk…or the gears are not tough enough…or the clutch fails, etc.
So, I suspect they will fix the issue with software or in some cases, a new circuit board. Of course the big issue currently is, that fixing this requires a replacement trans, but I would not be surprised if Hyundai devises a way to replace the oil pump with the defective circuit board in the field in the future. This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
According to NHTSA, HyundaI identified ”an internal fault with the DCT’s high-pressure electric oil pump as the likely cause”. So that would be considered electronic/software issue that requires an entire transmission replacement? I’m no mechanic but seems overboard?

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
A flaw in the manufacturing process doesn’t mean that every car will fail. In fact, it is very likely that some small subset may fail and some larger set will continue to run until or even without a fix being applied by HMMA.

For those whose vehicles are running fine, there is no need to minimize the experiences of those whose vehicles failed.

For those whose vehicles failed, you have my sympathy, but understandable though it may be, I’d caution against exaggerating the risk of failure to other drivers.

Voice of reason (and math) speaking.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
According to the NHTSA campaign, initially the issue affected 100% (9,142 vehicles) of Santa Cruz’s built between 6/22/2021-3/25/2022. It was then extended to 100% (10,733 vehicles) of Santa Cruz’s built between 6/22/2021-5/13/2022. This is what concerns me. What will the next extension bring?

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
You have enough to be concerned about with your own vehicle. I hate it for you that it happened. That said, you don’t have to be concerned on behalf of the rest of us. It would be quite illogical for those whose vehicles are running well to do anything but (as the old forum saying goes) “worry less and drive more.”

· Registered
1,943 Posts
According to the NHTSA campaign, initially the issue affected 100% (9,142 vehicles) of Santa Cruz’s built between 6/22/2021-3/25/2022. It was then extended to 100% (10,733 vehicles) of Santa Cruz’s built between 6/22/2021-5/13/2022. This is what concerns me. What will the next extension bring?
At the time of the initial recall, 53,000+ Hyundai vehicles, across 6 different models… recall based on 229 incident

Just 229 incidents out of 53,000 built.
Sorry for those going through the failures, however, vast majority are doing fine.

Having said that, I have no problem walking away and putting up a stink, if not treated fairly.
I’ve had my DCT replaced when it failed on my 2019 Veloster Turbo - dealer and Hyundai took responsibility, offered a loaner and replaced the DCT. Replacement works great, old one had 60,000km on it. This was during the pandemic.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I was never trying to cause panic, and glad for those experiencing no issue. I am simply using the information for my own vehicle and situation as if ultimately it is decided that my vehicle was affected, but I had that information prior to purchase, I wouldn’t have bought (or could given the stop sale).

i am happy to hear that you had a similar situation and the new transmission worked out well. Gives hope.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts