Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
You currently have the same symptom possibly as others reporting the failure, but IMO it does not necessarily mean you have the same cause. Best to you. You have a lot of preponderance there and I suspect will have to bear the burden of proof.
It is pretty easy to fall into that trap. Customer comes in driving a subaru and says his coolant is getting gone....... shop starts replacing the head gaskets because 99 percent of the time that's the cause. Lol. Could be a hose, pump, heater etc etc. You do have to thoroughly investigate and not assume. That's good advice to remember. The ops case could simply be a chafed wire. Ive seen it before. And dealerships do not diagnose them usually. If a shift solenoid dies or a belt or pump or chain in the trans/ tranfer case breaks..... they just or in a new unit rather than look into it.

I’m not trying to minimize this, but one thing stands out to me here. This so far has been reported as an electronic/software failure. I don’t believe that I have seen anywhere that this is what I would call a “classic mechanical issue”….like the trans design is junk…or the gears are not tough enough…or the clutch fails, etc.
So, I suspect they will fix the issue with software or in some cases, a new circuit board. Of course the big issue currently is, that fixing this requires a replacement trans, but I would not be surprised if Hyundai devises a way to replace the oil pump with the defective circuit board in the field in the future. This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Most of the failures I've heard of was one of the two pumps. That's not software or electrical

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
For those experts out there, any advice once the transmission is replaced? Anything to ask/look for? I'm assuming service will do due diligence but just wondering if there is anything to consider once the vehicle is returned (if I decide to keep it one way or another).

Just to also state again, never wanted to cause panic to anyone who has a SC and is driving without issue. And I've had vehicles with recalls that never were an issue so I get it. Just a hard pill to swallow with my vehicle right now and considering options as more information becomes available. And hopefully give info to those who are or might be affected at some point.

· Registered
158 Posts
I understand what you are saying. I like to hear how others deal with this defect.
I have had one instance of the loss of power and I still drive our SC around. But, we don't use it for any long distance driving and certainly not in heavy rush hour.
The thing that makes it hard is that we love the SC, it is by far the nicest car we have owned. So we really want to keep it. Hope they get it fixed, once they actually start the recall.

· Registered
364 Posts
The OP keeps referring to the stop sale notice, but that ONLY applies to vehicles within the affected build dates. Yours was built well after may ‘22 so it was not included in the recall and therefore not included in the stop sale

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The OP keeps referring to the stop sale notice, but that ONLY applies to vehicles within the affected build dates. Yours was built well after may ‘22 so it was not included in the recall and therefore not included in the stop sale
Yes, but as I stated in my previous post:
I’m basing my position in the docs available under NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V746000. The first safety recall report dated October 6, 2022, affected 100% of the vehicles. HMA issued recall notice 236 on October 7, 2022, which included the stop sale notice on unsold vehicles. An updated recall notice issued November 1, 2022, extened the recall for more vehicles (pushing forward manufacturing date), again affecting 100% of vehicles. An amended attachment indicated the following:

On October 28, 2022, HMMA informed NASO that HMMA inadvertently excluded applicable Santa Fe and Santa Cruz vehicles from the original recall population due to utilizing the software improvement applied date for the transmission instead of the vehicle applied date.
Hyundai is submitting amended information regarding affected vehicle population based on final confirmation of vehicles from HMMA.

My vehicle is experiencing the same catastrophic failure resulting the same repair (full transmission replacement). It is reasonable to believe that the recall notice will again be updated to include the date my vehicle was built. Unless Hyundai can show they used completely different parts, etc. to not expect continued failure, preponderance of evidence shows that the vehicle would be affected and should not have been sold given the knowledge at the time of sale.

· Registered
364 Posts
My vehicle is experiencing the same catastrophic failure resulting the same repair (full transmission replacement). It is reasonable to believe that the recall notice will again be updated to include the date my vehicle was built. Unless Hyundai can show they used completely different parts, etc. to not expect continued failure, preponderance of evidence shows that the vehicle would be affected and should not have been sold given the knowledge at the time of sale.
This is where you are wrong… the recall is NOT for a possibly bad HPEOP pump. The recall is for bad software that was causing the vehicle to straight up die instead of entering limp mode. THIS is why the recall is listed as software instead of hardware. Yes, there may be bad soldering on all our DCTs, but since 5/13/22 the SC has been receiving the updated software from the factory. Therefore if my pump fails while driving, I can limp home or off the road. The vehicles built before 5/13/22 had about 30 seconds of power before the car would die and be immovable.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
OK, I can see that. But if the cause is the ultimately the same (bad HPEOP pump) which results in the recommendation of of full replacement, is it semantics? Or are you saying the STOP SALE only applied due to the software issue that resulted in complete failure when triggered by the bad pump, so with the software update/fix, the safety risk no longer exists therefore, even with the known potentially bad pumps, STOP SALE directives will no longer be issued?

· Registered
497 Posts
OK, I can see that. But if the cause is the ultimately the same (bad HPEOP pump) which results in the recommendation of of full replacement, is it semantics? Or are you saying the STOP SALE only applied due to the software issue that resulted in complete failure when triggered by the bad pump, so with the software update/fix, the safety risk no longer exists therefore, even with the known potentially bad pumps, STOP SALE directives will no longer be issued?
They are saying that hyundai's official position so far, is that bad solder joints that cause the pump to fail on the limited range within the stop sale. They die in the road. But also that their dct as a whole is a time bomb And they admit there is no fix at this time according to them. And of course its not their trans but a third party vendor item causing it. BUT your car won't be dead in the road. You will be going 20 on the freeway in traffic..... so while your Cruz won't be dead in the road...... you may well be.

In other words hyundai is buying time and denying that there is a problem on their trans. Just like they did the Theta engine for many years. Covering up the actual issue and blaming third party vendors. Oddly enough there are a few instances on here, even among the limited members on this forum of the non - dct doing some of the same things.

Research the Theta engine and see how hyundai covered that up. Then draw your conclusion

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
As I wrote above it is not unusual for there to be recalls and stop sales that tend to creep along, gradually including bigger and bigger tranches of manufacturing dates. My familiarity happens to be with VW/Audi, where this exact thing happened with their 2.0L engine’s timing chain tensioner. After years passed there was ultimately a class action settlement where 1) owners were reimbursed for monies spent as a result of the defective part or 2) owners whose vehicles were still running fine were given a free replacement of the part.

During the discovery period first a small subset of vehicles was identified but this set later grew to involve more cars shipped with the part at later dates and from other factories until all the vehicles with that part were included.

Manufacturers know that they are coming out ahead playing this numbers game. I know it sounds cynical on their part but they have done the math and they know that most vehicles will not fail outright, they will do fine and the cost of upgrades and settlements later is comparatively less.

I stand by what I wrote above. If your vehicle is doing fine, “worry less and drive more.” There are advantages to having cars that go through settlements. You will probably be fine and then still get a cash payout or a free replacement.

· Registered
364 Posts
Or are you saying the STOP SALE only applied due to the software issue that resulted in complete failure when triggered by the bad pump, so with the software update/fix, the safety risk no longer exists therefore, even with the known potentially bad pumps, STOP SALE directives will no longer be issued?
This is exactly what I am saying. I get that there are a lot of people here feeling jaded, but as I see it, Hyundai has admitted there is a problem with the pump. However, the pump in itself is not causing a safety hazard. The software that is bad is causing the safety hazard. Therefore, the updated software will fix the safety issue. Then, if your pump fails, the transmission is under warranty and they will replace it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
It all makes sense and I appreciate all the input. Ultimately, for me and my vehicle, it’s frustrating to have only owned the SC for 2 1/2 weeks to have the failure and transmission replaced. I guess better than later but I don’t know.

· Registered
Black Limited
374 Posts
For those whose vehicles are running fine, there is no need to minimize the experiences of those whose vehicles failed.
Voice of reason (and math) speaking.
That why I didn't worry about my Limited... Thought I'd just wait until or if it ever happens and see how it goes. Well, it went. Now it's in the shop with the tranny failure issue. Just hope it doesn't take forever to get fixed.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Latest update: I requested tracking/ETA on the delivery of the new transmission from the servicing dealer (who told me on November 10 they located 2 in the US so one should arrive quickly). The dealer claims they don't recall that conversation and have no ETA. Stated they won't know anything early January 2023. I'll hit Lemon Law early December but this is absolutely crazy. I have open complaints with Hyundai, BBB Auto Line, etc. but now, just refund me my money and end this nightmare.

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
Latest update: I requested tracking/ETA on the delivery of the new transmission from the servicing dealer (who told me on November 10 they located 2 in the US so one should arrive quickly). The dealer claims they don't recall that conversation and have no ETA. Stated they won't know anything early January 2023. I'll hit Lemon Law early December but this is absolutely crazy. I have open complaints with Hyundai, BBB Auto Line, etc. but now, just refund me my money and end this nightmare.
You’ve got a good plan. I bet what happened is that the internet showed 2 transmissions that weren’t really in inventory. Kindof like when the internet shows 2 leaf blowers at my local Lowe’s and then they aren’t there.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
After some consideration, I am thinking of stepping down to the SEL trim with Activity package to avoid any further DCT issues/concerns. Curious if anyone knows if the non-turbo engines are also experiencing any transmission issues?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts