Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who already own their SCs, what does the manual state as the recommended break in guidelines?
Speed, Rev, drive modes, distance, etc.?
Thanx.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
The manual is vague, and I really like quantifiable things so here is my interpretation:
  • Keep engine rev lower than 4k RPM
  • Don't let the engine speed remain constant for more than 30 seconds
  • Don't brake too hard unless you have to (this one is debatable, the worst case scenario if brakes are not properly broken in is just replacing pads and rotors, not a big deal)
  • Maybe don't go too fast for too long(100 mph more than 10 mins)... even if SC on 8th gear can keep engine rev low, but diffs are still new and temp can get very hot if spins too fast
  • Don't tow at all

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Don't let the engine speed remain constant for more than 30 seconds??? That's not even possible in my world. LOL I have a 90 minute highway drive home from the dealer when I pick it up. I guess I can just play dashboard drums on the paddle shifters all the way home ...

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Don't let the engine speed remain constant for more than 30 seconds??? That's not even possible in my world. LOL I have a 90 minute highway drive home from the dealer when I pick it up. I guess I can just play dashboard drums on the paddle shifters all the way home ...
that's exactly what I did, holding the vehicle speed constant, I was able to cycle through 3 gears still keeping the rev within 2-4k rpm

·
Registered
101 Posts
By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles (1,000km) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• While driving, keep your engine speed (RPM, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 RPM and 4,000 RPM.
• Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
• Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
• Fuel economy and engine performance may vary depending on vehicle break-in process and be stabilized after 4,000 miles (6,000 km). New engines may consume more oil during the vehicle break-in period.
• Do not tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000km) of operation.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
that's exactly what I did, holding the vehicle speed constant, I was able to cycle through 3 gears still keeping the rev within 2-4k rpm
That's going to be fun trying to remember to do that every time I drive for a week ... but I'll survive. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have no control over some of the break-in if you bought a vehicle after it has been test driven multiple times. I wonder how crucial it is for the longevity of the vehicle?

·
Registered
101 Posts
it isn't ... it's all complete BS ... it's mostly a legal CYA on their part ... if your engine blows up in the first 6mo, they're going to ask you if you followed the proper break-in procedure, and if you claim you never read that, they're going to try to blame it on you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
it's all complete BS
Not complete BS.. but also not something that requires NASA-like levels of precision either. Just don't beat on it, drive conservatively and allow all the parts to heat up slowly and bed in properly. Heat causes things to expand so putting lots of heat quickly into a new engine, trans or diff is not a good idea as tolerances are tight and excess wear can occur. Honestly these rules extend beyond break in and should be followed any time you start up and drive off. Just wait until the vehicle reaches operating temperature before pushing it hard. This is especially true with turbos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts