Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still awaiting my Sage Green, but have driven a similar Santa Cruz Premium. I like the tonneau cover but it does take up about 6" of valuable bed space. I would like to carry a dirt bike on occasion. I think that if tied down with the front tire against the folded cover, it would probably bend it. I've looked but have not found any information on if it is possible/practical to remove the cover when needed, Has anyone looked into this?

This is my first post. Must say "thanks" for all the info I've gleaned while lurking.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
514 Posts
I'm still awaiting my Sage Green, but have driven a similar Santa Cruz Premium. I like the tonneau cover but it does take up about 6" of valuable bed space. I would like to carry a dirt bike on occasion. I think that if tied down with the front tire against the folded cover, it would probably bend it. I've looked but have not found any information on if it is possible/practical to remove the cover when needed, Has anyone looked into this?

This is my first post. Must say "thanks" for all the info I've gleaned while lurking.
I think the space reduction is even more since the handle sticks out about 4". It does not slide all the way into the canister even when retracted.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
286 Posts
Here's a link to a post where @Dirtrider3333 talks about removing the tonneau cover.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
I think the space reduction is even more since the handle sticks out about 4". It does not slide all the way into the canister even when retracted.
Yeah, there's definitely a few extra inches past the canister. Although, personally, I found today that I REALLY like having that little 'shelf' there when I'm doing stuff. Like when I was loading up my lawnmower and trimmer this morning, I had my ratchet strap, bungee cord, leather gloves, and can of two-stroke gas for the trimmer sitting up there, in easy reach, while I was figuring out how to arrange stuff. As you can tell, my Husqvarna straight shaft trimmer is a bit long for the bed, but fits well within the protective plastic cladding on an angle. A bungee from the lower D-ring to the adjustable side cleat worked perfectly to secure it in place for travel.

This is essentially the extent of my "truck" work, and why a full-size is overkill for me, as are the mid-sizers. The SC is perfect. Does EXACTLY what I wanted a truck bed for when I'm not just commuting - where a Tucson would have been a more logical choice.
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Hood

·
Registered
47 Posts
Removing the tonneau cover is just a little bit too much work. I’d be worried about damaging the down spouts from repeated installation. I put all my dirt bike stuff in the bed and cover it with the tonneau and the bike goes in a hitch rack. Seems to be the easiest way to transport the bike and gear to me.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Is it legal to block the tail lights like that? Wonder if cops would give me a hard time?
Technically blocking the license plate too by the looks of things. Really depends on the officer, most likely just a warning if they are cool... but then you may need to wire up some lights and relocate the plate to avoid future harassment. I see people driving around in junkers with no working lights what so ever, trailers that don't even have lights, etc, so this setup seems totally fine in comparison.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll stick to using my trailer for the bikes. I have an older Baxley two bike trailer that "kneels" to ground level so actually a lot easier than loading in a pickup bed anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts