Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
101 - 120 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Been a licensed driver for over 50 years and bought numerous (too many, lol) cars. Still, to
till this day, one of life's more unpleasant experiences is car shopping. To your point about straightforward dealerships; my son was shopping around for a new Sonata/Accord sized car. Went to a Hyundai dealer and the salesman had nothing but attitude, like we were there to just test drive cars and waste his time; then went to KIA, no games, or attitude. The result? The kid bought an Optima S that day and couldn't be happier. Have been contemplating about getting a Genesis, but after our experience at shopping Hyundai and now this reservation debacle......
I've walked more than once...when they tried their BS and I'm honest and tell them up front that I don't like games...I'm here to buy a car but my way, I always know what my trade is worth and I sometimes even mark it as fair value when it's really Good plus just so there isn't any problems.
See the biggest problem is I've sold cars...I know the routine...I know the BS... I just want a fair straight up deal...If I want mud flaps I'll tell you...If I want undercoating I'll tell you, if I want all my glass etched for thief control I'll tell you....Extended Warranty..Let me guess....I'll tell you :) I'm an ass and proud of it

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Been a licensed driver for over 50 years and bought numerous (too many, lol) cars. Still, to
till this day, one of life's more unpleasant experiences is car shopping. To your point about straightforward dealerships; my son was shopping around for a new Sonata/Accord sized car. Went to a Hyundai dealer and the salesman had nothing but attitude, like we were there to just test drive cars and waste his time; then went to KIA, no games, or attitude. The result? The kid bought an Optima S that day and couldn't be happier. Have been contemplating about getting a Genesis, but after our experience at shopping Hyundai and now this reservation debacle......
My experience so far hasn't been that bad other than the long waits between information. As I see it, production really just got moving this week. Do I wish a had more of a heads up on the entire insider process? You bet, but that little inconvenience isn't going to kill my hopes.

I'm lucky in that I don't need this vehicle, I want it. The real test of Hyundai and my local dealership will be how it plays out from here. I like my sales contact so far. My only complaint right now is the lack of interior color pictures. I actually like black interiors and hate light gray ones. I requested black (actually was told that was the only choice when I reserved), but now that dark gray is available for my color choice, I'd like to actually see what that looks like to see if I would be happier with that. Although, I know I will be happy with black.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So, for those of you who have now talked to your dealers, confirmed orders/preferences... has anyone talked pricing? Are you just expecting to pay MSRP, or have you gotten that far in the discussion?
No, but I just opened a line of inquiry to my Dealer as to why they haven't contacted me.....after that I will do a sit down and try to get something on paper

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
In the video showing the start of production of the Santa Cruz, you can see both an Elantra & a Santa Fe running on the line with it. Not sure how many can share the same line, but overall the factory builds the Elantra, Sonata, Tucson, Santa Fe & Santa Cruz. See the video here:
From that video, which is great by the way, Hyundai is using the same one-piece stamping from the A-pillar to the taillight that was used on the first generation Ridgeline. That raises repair costs and insurance costs.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
I'm still just jealous that y'all have had pricing information for a week now ... and get to hear about orders and options. Meanwhile, north of the border, crickets. Pricing still "coming soon." I'd like to know what Hyundai's definition of "soon" is. sigh Still can't wait to see the posts when you guys start getting SCs in driveways!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I requested black (actually was told that was the only choice when I reserved), but now that dark gray is available for my color choice, I'd like to actually see what that looks like to see if I would be happier with that.
Until there is inventory at a nearby dealership where I can SEE these colors in person I'm not dealing with this wanna-be reservation process. Call me picky but I'm not dropping 40k on something only to find out there was an option B.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does that mean if you didn't call the dealer would not have received the order?
RXtuebo7man: I did not call the dealer (yet). I called the concierge. I'll wait a couple of days to see is the local dealer reaches out to me. iI not, I'll be in contact with the dealer to get this going. Again, I'll keep all advised as this is fluid for all of us.

·
Registered
127 Posts
RXtuebo7man: I did not call the dealer (yet). I called the concierge. I'll wait a couple of days to see is the local dealer reaches out to me. iI not, I'll be in contact with the dealer to get this going. Again, I'll keep all advised as this is fluid for all of us.
That's what I meant, I probably could have written it better, I understood you contacted the concierge. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's what I meant, I probably could have written it better, I understood you contacted the concierge. Thanks for the response.
To All: Called local dealership today (07/17 Saturday). They confirmed receipt of what Hyundai electronically sent them yesterday, which was the $100 reservation and we reconfirmed SEL-premium ice white color. Due to weekend, their sales person will call me Monday. As of this writing all they have was the confirmation but does confirm what Hyundai Consierge told me yesterday. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
My concierge called and left a message saying, "Your information will be sent to your local dealer of choice and they will contact you about the specifics of your SC order in a couple of weeks. If you no longer want the SC, please let us know and we will refund your $100 deposit."

I guess Hyundai is trying to contact everyone with deposits.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
The more I see these messages and interaction, I just think this whole $100 deposit reservation is so stupid (cybertruck, lightning, maverick, etc)
I'd rather that they allow for a $2000 deposit and truly build and reserve that vehicle for the customer and build these prior to building for general public.

Visibility is another issue. We have to hunt down dealerships and pry info out of them is absurd. Hyundai should instead of paying the useless concierge, just have software engineers in house build a simple user login site that each paid reservation holder can view the progress of their vehicle. Data automation is cheaper than human customer service, and the cost of building the site can be amortized because the site can then be used for other vehicle launches too in the future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hadn’t heard anything from the concierge since the day I placed my reservation for a black SEL Premium in mid-May (not even to ask about interior options). I emailed them a couple days ago once I saw some people getting notifications from the concierge of the timing for their SC delivery. They responded over the weekend to let me know I’ll be contacted in a couple weeks to discuss the options I want. I guess I just wasn’t early enough with my reservation to be included in the very first wave, which is fine. Excited to hear everyone’s impressions once they start coming in.

·
Registered
491 Posts
We have to hunt down dealerships and pry info out of them is absurd.
This is the worse part. Its downright shocking these dealers have no idea what a SC is. The reservation system is a mess but that was obvious (to me) when it started due to the lack of details. What I can't figure out is how can a dealer not know their brand is launching a brand new vehicle? Did they not get the memo? Too busy with TPS reports I guess.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is the worse part. Its downright shocking these dealers have no idea what a SC is. The reservation system is a mess but that was obvious (to me) when it started due to the lack of details. What I can't figure out is how can a dealer not know their brand is launching a brand new vehicle? Did they not get the memo? Too busy with TPS reports I guess.
It is scary to say the least...How do I trust them to do anything if they can't even be informed enough about their own product line? Kind makes you feel like your only a "Number" at the end of the month

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Yeah, I'd worry about a dealer who didn't know it was coming. The one I'm dealing with doesn't have any info on WHEN they'll get one, or what the price will be, but he was at least aware of the product and the similarities to the Tucson. Even the 5 inches less leg room in the back seats. 36.5 inches puts it on par with any other mid-size truck at least. I can live with that. Mostly because I'll be in the front seat! HA! I think that's still better than any GM double cab full size truck.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
Yeah, I'd worry about a dealer who didn't know it was coming. The one I'm dealing with doesn't have any info on WHEN they'll get one, or what the price will be, but he was at least aware of the product and the similarities to the Tucson. Even the 5 inches less leg room in the back seats. 36.5 inches puts it on par with any other mid-size truck at least. I can live with that. Mostly because I'll be in the front seat! HA! I think that's still better than any GM double cab full size truck.
5" less legroom in the second row than the Tucson? That does not seem right as the Tucson has 38.2" of legroom in the second row. The legroom on the Santa Cruz is right there with the Ridgeline.
  • My Ridgeline has 36.7" of legroom in the second row and that is somewhat tight.
  • The Tacoma is far worse at 32.6".
  • The Ranger is 34.5".
  • The Maverick is 36.9" or for hybrid 35.9"
So, I give kudos to Hyundai. That is why I want to see it in person.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I signed up back in April they called me within a few minutes to confirm details before charging my card. Email confirmation came shortly after.
Same here... reserved in April, got a call/email a few hours later confirming the reservation. Each email has a reservation code you must provide to the dealer.

101 - 120 of 174 Posts