Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hyundai didn't announce those numbers, they EPA published them. And I'm sure Hyundai kept quiet afterward since being compared to 40 MPG (not from the EPA, just from Ford) when your getting just 22 MPG is not something they wish to highlight.

This is a good summary of what happened. The SC was announced back in 2015, then... nothing. When it finally launched people (like me) had completely forgotten about it. The Maverick hype has been building steadily and maintained steam, however Ford only has one more thing to announce - the MPG of the bigger engine. For some reason Hyundai has taken this slow and silent approach. The internet has a short attention span so its seems this approach was a bad idea.
The wait was that the orginal SC concept would not work on older Tucson platform... but was incuded in the design specs for the 2022 Tucson platform. For me, I don't want another large truck that won't fit in the garage. While the Maverick looks good, it is MUCH larger and more truck like than the SC. The SC is not a truck and I don't think Hyundai has presented it as such... the reveal event stated they are calling it a SAV. MPG, mixed is 22.. which is not terrible is you consider that is for the AWD. Ford hype is big, but they also have 100x the marketing budget as Hyundai. I'm sure both vehciles will find thier customer base/supporters. I have nothing against Ford, but you have to ask "why the Mavrick now"? Seems Hyundai kick-started the whole SAV/small truck conversation. In other words , Ford is reacting to Hyundai vs the other way around.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only email received back in April confirmed the reservation and charge card transaction i.d., no specific reservation code.
Same, never received an e-mail from anyone with a code, just 100 bucks left bank account. Anyone know how or where one can get the "code"? I've left several messages at the reservation phone number and never received a call back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The wait was that the orginal SC concept would not work on older Tucson platform... but was incuded in the design specs for the 2022 Tucson platform. For me, I don't want another large truck that won't fit in the garage. While the Maverick looks good, it is MUCH larger and more truck like than the SC. The SC is not a truck and I don't think Hyundai has presented it as such... the reveal event stated they are calling it a SAV. MPG, mixed is 22.. which is not terrible is you consider that is for the AWD. Ford hype is big, but they also have 100x the marketing budget as Hyundai. I'm sure both vehciles will find thier customer base/supporters. I have nothing against Ford, but you have to ask "why the Mavrick now"? Seems Hyundai kick-started the whole SAV/small truck conversation. In other words , Ford is reacting to Hyundai vs the other way around.
I wouldn't say it is 'much' larger, its only like 4" longer, 2" of which is bed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
💯% agree. Ford didn't pump the price of those that registered to buy. Hyundai would be wise to not do it either. Without hearing anything from Hyundai, I'm beginning to wonder what the point of sending them $100 and becoming an insider was?
Seems to be a dealer by dealer call on MSRP + fees... email from my dealer stated "no discount", but they are not adding addtional fee either.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Seems to be a dealer by dealer call on MSRP + fees... email from my dealer stated "no discount", but they are not adding addtional fee either.
All I see on my basic build is (CF) Carpeted Floormats. Might have gone with an aftermarket brand if they weren't included. I do want a (TH) Trailer Hitch as mentioned to the Hyundai Concierge on the initial confirmation call when she confirmed I didn't want any Packages, because I didn't check that box. I can have the dealer add a trailer hitch anytime though. Hope to see you on the road. Don't forget to "Honk & Wave!" :D:LOL:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do we know octane recommendations? For many of these smaller turbo engines Premium is recommended. Yes, I know electronics will control pinging, but if premium is recommended it won't perform at the listed H.P. and torgue, if that's the case plan on added fuel costs. My wife has a Fiat and premium is recommended, same w/ GTI's and I'm sure others. The Fiat is a slug with or without premium.
No Premium gas needed. Turbo runs same as non-Turbo, 89.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am disappointed, but wonder how much of what I was told is factual. He was told they haven't started producing them yet. To which I told him Hyundai has already posted videos of them building Santa Cruz's prior to the factory maintenance shutdown that ended last Sunday. Production should be rolling again starting at the beginning of this week. I think they will get some long before September, but it might not be my build spec. We will see. Others are claiming vehicles arriving in two weeks on the east coast.
Sounds like dealer BS? I was told "no promises", but about 2 weeks it will "ship". Confirmation emails from dealer and OEM state coming "weeks" not months.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Sounds like dealer BS? I was told "no promises", but about 2 weeks it will "ship". Confirmation emails from dealer and OEM state coming "weeks" not months.
So far, so good. The sales rep was told by his inventory manager that it will likely be September-October, but with the AON issued at this point and those in the know stating those on the list are being built ASAP (not the typical 1-2 month lead time), it appears it will be sooner. I'm guessing August arrival. (y)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The more I see these messages and interaction, I just think this whole $100 deposit reservation is so stupid (cybertruck, lightning, maverick, etc)
I'd rather that they allow for a $2000 deposit and truly build and reserve that vehicle for the customer and build these prior to building for general public.

Visibility is another issue. We have to hunt down dealerships and pry info out of them is absurd. Hyundai should instead of paying the useless concierge, just have software engineers in house build a simple user login site that each paid reservation holder can view the progress of their vehicle. Data automation is cheaper than human customer service, and the cost of building the site can be amortized because the site can then be used for other vehicle launches too in the future.
I think it really depends on the timing of your pre-order as well. Mine was put in the same day they allowed reservations... so it is first come, first served. I do know that reservation orders are being filled first, addtional orders will be filled after (or in the case of a refusal). Many OEMs want some kind of a commitment from the customer. Lots of people say they want to order it.. so the $100 seems small to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only email received back in April confirmed the reservation and charge card transaction i.d., no specific reservation code.
You should have received an email with the confirmation #. The dealer is tracking by that #. The dealer needs that # to update the OEM for deliveries.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Same, never received an e-mail from anyone with a code, just 100 bucks left bank account. Anyone know how or where one can get the "code"? I've left several messages at the reservation phone number and never received a call back.
Confirmation emails were sent with the reservation # @ the time you reserved. You can reach them directly @ 844-966-3434. That phone line is manned during these events (Incl. some weekends) and during regular business hours (PT).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it really depends on the timing of your pre-order as well. Mine was put in the same day they allowed reservations... so it is first come, first served. I do know that reservation orders are being filled first, addtional orders will be filled after (or in the case of a refusal). Many OEMs want some kind of a commitment from the customer. Lots of people say they want to order it.. so the $100 seems small to me.
Would have been foolish to commit with so little early-on info offered.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
That makes sense, but that would also mean no one in the western states, apart from California, placed an order early on, because they are not getting any deliveries. So that theory might be either invalid or we are just not seeing the orders from the western states on the order sheet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Would have been foolish to commit with so little early-on info offered.
Again, depends on the person. Many in this forum have been "waiting" since the 2015 prototype was shown. I only committed to the reservation "AFTER" the reveal event took place. Did you have an opertunity to watch that event? (
) For me, that event had a lot of info in it, so for me, it was not a "foolish" thing but a confirmation of the features I was looking for... but to each thier own.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That makes sense, but that would also mean no one in the western states, apart from California, placed an order early on, because they are not getting any deliveries. So that theory might be either invalid or we are just not seeing the orders from the western states on the order sheet.
I live in Arizona and reserved in April.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Again, depends on the person. Many in this forum have been "waiting" since the 2015 prototype was shown. I only committed to the reservation "AFTER" the reveal event took place. Did you have an opertunity to watch that event? (
) For me, that event had a lot of info in it, so for me, it was not a "foolish" thing but a confirmation of the features I was looking for... but to each thier own.
Like you, was into it since seeing the concept at the NY Auto Show, preferred the concept vehicle. My remarks on being "foolish"; no pricing, minimal tech specs, reviews, etc. Yes, to each their own.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts