Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all!

Just took delivery of my SEL today and I have a question. Is there any way to swap positions of the speedometer and tachometer so that speed is on the right instead of the left? I’m so accustomed to my previous car having the Speedo on the right and I keep having to double take when checking speed.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you go into your settings, you can a change your theme to cube mode. It doesn’t swap the positions but it makes both meters digital instead of the analog. May help to notice numbers better than read hand positions. I was playing around and just learned it today.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I get what you say because with the speedo on the left, the speed ramps from 0 all the way from the far left bottom of the display. You really do have to adjust your head/eyes to look all the way to the left to see your speed. It would be more intuitive to have it on the right. I end up using the digital speedometer in the center cluster so I can see the speed better. What I really miss that my wife's '20 Santa Fe has is the heads up display. I never thought I would like it, but it has grown on me and I miss not having it on the SC. The fact that they don't even offer it in the top trims seems like a mis-step in my opinion esspecially how they've thrown in just about every other possible driver assist feature.

I'm guessing it's because the Tuscon, as an entry level vehicle didn't offer it, so the SC being based on the Tuscon, has to live with whatever the Tuscon offers, at least from the dash forward. That could prove to be a double-edged sword depending on the circumstance.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Despite being a digital screen the dash display is not customizable at all - you get what the OEM put in there and nothing more. There are 3 themes or looks which are basically just skins of the same information. The center part can be changed to show some extra info but even that is pretty limited compared to what other vehicles offer.

I wish it showed things like oil pressure, transmission temperature, boost pressure, etc. However getting all that data requires something like Dash Command or Torque running on your phone plus the OBD-II interface. I've use this with my other vehicles and its pretty impressive.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Despite being a digital screen the dash display is not customizable at all - you get what the OEM put in there and nothing more. There are 3 themes or looks which are basically just skins of the same information. The center part can be changed to show some extra info but even that is pretty limited compared to what other vehicles offer.

I wish it showed things like oil pressure, transmission temperature, boost pressure, etc. However getting all that data requires something like Dash Command or Torque running on your phone plus the OBD-II interface. I've use this with my other vehicles and its pretty impressive.
The aggravating part is that all the data is already right there! It just needs to be enabled in the user menus.

Oh, if only we could get our hands on the source code for it.... Oh, well, it will probably be implemented as a model-refresher bonus feature in a couple of years.

·
Registered
Limited
162 Posts
I have had a couple of German cars where coding was popular. Where you can turn options on and off. Or change feature operations. It doesn't seem like something common with Hyundai vehicles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having just come from German car where I did some options coding ... (LED fogs, lights, welcome lights, A/C, mirrors, etc)... I really like that Hyundai put a bunch of those options in the Configuration menu - no "risky" programming through the diagnostic port. That said... I really, really wish we had more display options on the main console, not just skinning.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Oh, well, it will probably be implemented as a model-refresher bonus feature in a couple of years.
I assume these gauges will never change or change very little unitl a totally new model comes out. From a support standpoint the last thing you want is 10 difference versions floating around or users poking around in there. Its just too bad they don't offer an "advanced" menu of some kind. However opening up such things is a security risk. Imagine being able to turn off emergency braking due to some bug or glitch. OEMs are generally very risk adverse when it comes to these things.

Over the years my C7 has various dash display upgrades yet GM doesn't make them retroactive. All the code is VIN locked so the system knows your car shouldn't have that display. Very frustrating since there is no hardware differences at all, its all software. The only way to "trick" the system is find a wrecked car and use that VIN to upgrade yours. Clearly this highly frowned upon and if the dealer finds it they will erase the code so forget getting any warranty work done.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
185 Posts
Imagine being able to turn off emergency braking due to some bug or glitch. OEMs are generally very risk adverse when it comes to these things.
No glitch is required to turn it off:

Font Screenshot Number Document Circle

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
No glitch is required to turn it off:
Sorry - to clarify: you mess with the display software and emergency braking shows as being ON but its actually OFF. That is why OEM don't want you inside there tweaking things. I know the speed-o and this screen are not related in anyway but its a black box, the software was never meant to be customized by the end user.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you go into your settings, you can a change your theme to cube mode. It doesn’t swap the positions but it makes both meters digital instead of the analog. May help to notice numbers better than read hand positions. I was playing around and just learned it today.
I tried Cube for a day, but didn't like it. So I switched to one of the others, but the speedo & tach are reversed from where they are in our Veloster, so I had the Speed displayed in the center. Then I realize that was silly to have the same information displayed twice, so I switched back to Cube to see if I could get used to it. I haven't switched it to anything else, and actually like it now.

Sorry - to clarify: you mess with the display software and emergency braking shows as being ON but its actually OFF. That is why OEM don't want you inside there tweaking things. I know the speed-o and this screen are not related in anyway but its a black box, the software was never meant to be customized by the end user.
That makes more sense.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Don't know what the 10"+ flat screen gauge cluster lets you set up in the center screen between the speedo and tach, but on the base analog gauge cluster you can set the screen between the speedo and tach to display the #MPH nice and big right in the middle. That's the setting I use and rarely even look at the speedo on the left side.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't know what the 10"+ flat screen gauge cluster lets you set up in the center screen between the speedo and tach, but on the base analog gauge cluster you can set the screen between the speedo and tach to display the #MPH nice and big right in the middle. That's the setting I use and rarely even look at the speedo on the left side.
Yes, the flat screen gauge cluster lets us do that, too. I tried it for a while, but didn't like it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi y’all!

Just took delivery of my SEL today and I have a question. Is there any way to swap positions of the speedometer and tachometer so that speed is on the right instead of the left? I’m so accustomed to my previous car having the Speedo on the right and I keep having to double take when checking speed.

Any help would be appreciated!
That's a good point. WTH were the designers thinking especially for the American market?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts