Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Review from an vlogger after 6 months with the SC

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  PatrickB 
#1 ·
I watched this guy's first 2 videos on the SC and actually found them useful when I was considering getting one.

But this video he did after 6 months seems a bit nit picky to me. The three biggest problems he had were:

1) Inaccurate mileage gauge (and inversely not great mileage on the SC)
2) Dust on the dash display
3) Rust stains on the break discs

#9 ·
3) Rust stains on the break discs
Has he never owned a vehicle with iron brakes before, IE: 99% of all vehicles? wow just wow.

Isn't that MPG display at the bottom of the dash an average based on recent conditions? News flash - if you sitting at a traffic light not moving your getting ZERO MPG thus driving away from a stop how could it instantly go to 22? Apparently this guy doesn't understand how basic math works. Steady cruising down to the Keys (I live in S FL too) 40 MPG is totally do-able - its a slow, long cruise, pretty much optimized for fuel economy.

He clearly loves the SC and is happy to show it off, but having such clueless fake complaints isn't really helping anyone. Hopefully someone (other then Mav fan boys) corrected him in the comments... I can't be bothered. The video title alone is clickbait so complaining about dust seems par for the course.

#11 ·
Just a lack of understanding on his part I think. I'm not a massive car guy either, so I'm sure if I wanted to catalog my experience with a vehicle for fun I'd get some things wrong along the way too.
I don't really fault people for their lack of knowledge so much as I do the person doing a video with the express purpose of trying to declare it as a truck or not a truck, or it's for women only, yadda yadda. Those kinds of opinions are less helpful

#12 ·
Not going to lie.. I went out and checked my brake discs after this video.. LOL.. And yes, mine had some rust spots. But I'm not crazy enough to go back to the dealer and make a scene. I live in Florida. It's hot and humid as all get out. Metal will rust/oxidize. That's just a fact of living in Florida.

#17 · (Edited)
If you went to the dealer to complain about rust on your disc, they’re going to think you’re on crack. 🤪
Even if the entire surface of the disc was covered in rust… with your first application of the brake, all that surface rust would be gone… 😂 - by the time you got to the dealer, your disc would be nice and shiny….

Surface rust on disc is perfectly normal…

#15 ·
I didn't even catch that.. So true. The other driver actually drove away instead of waiting. Plus, I just realized that he pulled out his rag from the front passenger side. Ick.. Now that I have a truck bed, I don't let anything in the front of my SC other than passengers. Everything else - especially rags - goes in the truck bed.

#16 ·
Just comments of the dust and rust on the discs literally outraged me. What kind of nincompoop complains about dust??? Seriously.... he'd poop himself if he saw the inside of my jeep. Lol mud on the inside of the windshield from 4 years ago.... dust everywhere...lol. and then he continues on about the brakes rusting. Oh, geez.... someone tell him to polish them then cover with Wd-40... lol. Or maybe paint all surfaces of the disc.... that'll fix it... LOL. Watch, next he'll make a video showing the battery is below 12.8 with the lights and radio on and car turned off... uh-oh time for a new battery.🤦🤦🤦🤦

#19 ·
Our last house had a short, steep driveway which required applying the brakes hard at the bottom to prevent rolling out into the street.

Following a night of heavy rain, Mrs. ToadVine set off on a shopping excursion. At the bottom of the driveway, the beast (a Ford Exploder) shreiked, creaked, rumbled, and shuddered in the most horrifying manner. As it came to rest, it groaned in a slowly descending pitch as though all hope of any future life was escaping from it.

Leaving the poor, sad carcass where it lay mortally wounded, she returned to announce sad tidings. Nearly speechless, eyes the size of dinner plates, she babbled incoherantly about the heart-wrenching demise of her once-valiant steed.

After man-splaining the issue of rusty rotors, and a tentative test drive, all was right with the world again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.