Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Roof Rack is a "whistler"

12K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  DenCruz 
#1 ·
Just got my Santa Cruz on Thursday. Had the dealer install the factor crossbars which is a shared part with the Tucson. Whistles once you 60 something fierce. Just thought I'd let you know. I wrapped a long bungie around the rack as a temporary fix. Drove it from Washington to Oregon and back this weekend. Overall I'm loving it.

I think cross bars dress it up a bit.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Just got my Santa Cruz on Thursday. Had the dealer install the factor crossbars which is a shared part with the Tucson. Whistles once you 60 something fierce. Just thought I'd let you know. I wrapped a long bungie around the rack as a temporary fix. Drove it from Washington to Oregon and back this weekend. Overall I'm loving it.

View attachment 3071
I had a roof rack is on my sonata and Veloster. They all whistle honestly. Find a good wind deflector and that will fix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9 ·
I just installed the factory bars yesterday. I have only been able to hit 65 mph, no highway yet. But no extra noise. Mine are pretty quiet. I'm curious as to the position by measurement that your bars are in. Also there are little sliding covers on the bottom to cover the slot under the bar. I would check to make sure they are closed.

#18 ·
On my Avalanche, I kept hearing a fluttering at certain speeds...I thought it might be that insulation in the Fender because it was loose, but it ended up being the cross bars on the roof rack were loose...I had to get a 90 degree Philips head screw driver the tighten them up to the mounting base..

#22 ·

I'm using the SNIXWOO Cross Bars off Amazon.. they are shaped like an air foil. No whistling, but @ 75ish there is noticable wind noise. I had many sets over the years.. many do whistle.

#29 ·
I put a wind deflector on and I have no noise at all. The fastest I have driven is 90MPH however, so cannot attest to anything faster than that. Pretty quiet all around. However, if I open the ceiling up and expose the glass, It does make a little noise. The sliding panel that covers the roof glass does provide a fair amount of noise insulation.
Hood Air gun Trigger Fender Wood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.