Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone know if the side rails are something that can be added later on or are you stuck getting activity package or above if you ever want a roof rack?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Looking at the service manual I believe it could be added later. The roof side molding pops off and under it should be pre-drilled holes. The roof rack bolts into the those holes. If so you could buy the parts and do the swap yourself.

Maybe someone can confirm by removing this piece (it just unclips) and taking a picture.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looking at the service manual I believe it could be added later. The roof side molding pops off and under it should be pre-drilled holes. The roof rack bolts into the those holes. If so you could buy the parts and do the swap yourself.

Maybe someone can confirm by removing this piece (it just unclips) and taking a picture.
Someone posted a pic on FB with their missing rail mount cover.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Missing as in factory forgot to install it (apparently from what I could gather from the FB comments).
YIKES.

However this seems to indicate the factory doesn't drill out or weld on (???) the threaded holes required to bolt the rails on all models. You can almost see what look like small dents where the holes might go. Maybe the roof stampings at the factory are different, or when they punch/cut out for the sunroof they do the mounting holes at the same time. Oh well... too bad.

That trim piece hides where the factory welds the roof panel to the side frame (door opening, A, B and C pillar) on pretty much all vehicles. I wonder if the aftermarket will come out with a system that can lock into that seam.

·
Registered
733 Posts
"I wonder what is under/behind those small black slots which appear all along that seam," said ToadVine, uneasily.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
We need someone to remove one of the rails on an Activity Package model to see what's under them and compare to this SE/SEL without Activity Package model.

I was hoping there were mounting points under the lower trim level plastic covers for custom aftermarket companies to make some cool attachments.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
Does anyone know that part number for the Rail Mount Cover. One of mine came off, dealer won't cover it even though I've only had it one month. They want $130 to replace.
Yeah, Mine fell off.... $130 to replace.
That's crazy! It's a simple strip of plastic and if it fell off on its own one has to wonder if that is what happen to the SC that arrived at a dealer without one of them in place (It would never have passed inspection without it before leaving the factory). Never heard back on what the dealer did for that customer...

If you can, have the dealer look into upgrading you to the cross rail mount type. Everyone is dying to know if a Non-Activity Package SC can be upgraded with the Activity Package rails to mount crossbars to.

At $130 for one plastic piece, I'd be tempted to put that $130 towards the upgrade if it can even be done. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's crazy! It's a simple strip of plastic and if it fell off on its own one has to wonder if that is what happen to the SC that arrived at a dealer without one of them in place (It would never have passed inspection without it before leaving the factory). Never heard back on what the dealer did for that customer...

If you can, have the dealer look into upgrading you to the cross rail mount type. Everyone is dying to know if a Non-Activity Package SC can be upgraded with the Activity Package rails to mount crossbars to.

At $130 for one plastic piece, I'd be tempted to put that $130 towards the upgrade if it can even be done. Good luck.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Well, I was pleasantly surprised this morning when the general manager of the dealership called to let me know they are covering the cost of replacing the part. The power of a legitimate negative review.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts