Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I didn't know that at all so that's interesting... now this is something I'll look forward to.

That 1.4T is quite the potent engine and very capable if they bump up the power on it. The 2.4L would make more sense, but I can see them both working as two different trim levels perhaps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
2.4L is what I hope they will include since off the line power is my concern since I do plan on towing light trailers and having a 2.4 improves your odds. My guess with that is up to 3000-4000LBS, 1.4 could cut that drastically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agree, I'm sure it'll be possible with the 1.4L but it would undoubtedly be tougher to do than it would with the 2.4L and you also have to look at how much stress you'll be putting on the engine and the turbocharger. I can only imagine how hot that turbo would get being under than constant pressure.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I remember hearing the KO3 turbo was one of the better turbo's for this type of application so if we get that or a version of it, I will have more confidence in the powertrain setup as a whole, if not then digging deeper for how good/bad of a setup we have will be in order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
K03 turbos are like an industry standard, a lot of vehicles use them which is great. They also have K04 upgrade kits that we would be able to use too ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
But they would need to be vehicle specific wouldn't they? I think even if they're the same turbo, they could be configured differently from the manufacturer which means the housing could be turned a different way?

·
Registered
729 Posts
But they would need to be vehicle specific wouldn't they? I think even if they're the same turbo, they could be configured differently from the manufacturer which means the housing could be turned a different way?
That by my guess would come down to how they tune the system since that would be where the whole unique application thing starts. But as certain car makers come out with more turbocharged models that uniqueness should grow with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ford's EB 2.7 is top dog in the F-150s over the naturally aspirated 5.0.

Don't sell the 1.4l short of being the best motor for towing in a Hyundai. And when it isn't being stressed the turbo motor give much better fuel economy.

I would actually like to see a hybrid with 1.4 turbo. Batteries providing excellent economy when I am stuck in traffic, small gas for good economy on open road, turbo for acceleration and combination of battery and turbo for accelerating a trailer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When it isn't being stressed and put to work, it'll definitely give great fuel economy. But as soon as you put some restriction and strain on it, that fuel economy should take a pretty steep dive no? That mild-hybrid idea would be the best bet though. You'd have the electronics to keep you good on constant freeway trips and stuck in traffic, but the turbo pep to boot you up to speed when you need it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ford's EB 2.7 is top dog in the F-150s over the naturally aspirated 5.0.

Don't sell the 1.4l short of being the best motor for towing in a Hyundai. And when it isn't being stressed the turbo motor give much better fuel economy.

I would actually like to see a hybrid with 1.4 turbo. Batteries providing excellent economy when I am stuck in traffic, small gas for good economy on open road, turbo for acceleration and combination of battery and turbo for accelerating a trailer.
Different battery options would be great too since some people need the vehicle for long distance and others for mostly short distance/low demand driving with easy access to chargers. But that might harm sales numbers down the road.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts