Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen this posted yet... but its from the sales training site. Appears these are the vehicles that Hyundai expects to be crossed shopped again the SC:

Ford Maverick
Jeep Gladiator
Honda Ridgeline
Toyota Tacoma

The attached PDF breaks down the specs and features of each competitor to various SC trims.

Interestingly once they reach the Limited trim they don't even bother comparing against the Maverick. Also no Ranger on this list which is what I was looking at previously.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haven't seen this posted yet... but its from the sales training site. Appears these are the vehicles that Hyundai expects to be crossed shopped again the SC:

Ford Maverick
Jeep Gladiator
Honda Ridgeline
Toyota Tacoma

The attached PDF breaks down the specs and features of each competitor to various SC trims.

Interestingly once they reach the Limited trim they don't even bother comparing against the Maverick. Also no Ranger on this list which is what I was looking at previously.
Surprised at the Gladiator.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
It's technically 'mid-size' like the Taco and Ridgeline, so it makes sense. And from a price perspective, it makes the SC look like a discount bargain!! Our dealer's had one on the lot for quite a few months ... and at just under 70k list, I'm not sure they can discount it enough to move it. You have to REALLY love a Jeep and that less-than-luxury Wrangler-esque interior to fork over Ram Limited Longhorn dough for a Gladiator.

Reactions: Chuck

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here - those things are crazy expensive - but its a "Jeep Thing" which I've never understood. A buddy had a Wrangler and it was roughest and loudest vehicle I've ever been in. For a fun weekend toy? OK, but as daily driver? Never!

Also why no CUV comparisons? I really think this SAV is attacking Subaru's bread-n-butter audience.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same here - those things are crazy expensive - but its a "Jeep Thing" which I've never understood. A buddy had a Wrangler and it was roughest and loudest vehicle I've ever been in. For a fun weekend toy? OK, but as daily driver? Never!

Also why no CUV comparisons? I really think this SAV is attacking Subaru's bread-n-butter audience.
Agreed. I sold my '15 XV Crosstrek for this.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
They also need to be real - add the Tucson to that list. If I'm at a dealership and they have both on the lot? You bed I'm going to be looking at both of them. Even with my sights on the SC, I still stopped yesterday and took another drive past the Tucsons and wished they were on sale last summer. But a Tucson buyer who MIGHT also want some truckiness - or to be able to throw kids stinky hockey gear in a tonneau-covered bed instead of smelling it inside the cabin?? That's a cross-shopper too.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They also need to be real - add the Tucson to that list.
For sure... especially if you already like the interior and exterior style. Kind of like the Explorer vs the Explorer Sport Trac - do you want an SUV hatchback or small pickup bed?

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's technically 'mid-size' like the Taco and Ridgeline, so it makes sense. And from a price perspective, it makes the SC look like a discount bargain!!
Depends on depreciation though, which is one of the highest costs in a new vehicle.

Its why a Civic Type R was actually the same cost after three years as a Veloster N, as the Veloster had lower purchase price but an equally lower value retention to cancel it out. Hyundai not carrying over their long warranty to the second owner is a big contributing factor too IMO.

The Gladiator is a freak in that for some odd reason they maintain crazy high resale values, so people are willing to spend more on them if they plan to ditch them in three years.

For example here it shows a Gladiator is at 72% value retention after three years, way above a Ridgeline or industry average:

·
Registered
350 Posts
They also need to be real - add the Tucson to that list. If I'm at a dealership and they have both on the lot? You bed I'm going to be looking at both of them. Even with my sights on the SC, I still stopped yesterday and took another drive past the Tucsons and wished they were on sale last summer. But a Tucson buyer who MIGHT also want some truckiness - or to be able to throw kids stinky hockey gear in a tonneau-covered bed instead of smelling it inside the cabin?? That's a cross-shopper too.
As low as Tucson inventories are, I can see dealers trying to put Tucson shoppers into SC if they don't have people like us waiting for the SC they get in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As low as Tucson inventories are, I can see dealers trying to put Tucson shoppers into SC if they don't have people like us waiting for the SC they get in.
Interesting, they are lower than they were just a little while ago when I checked, but not so low as to be a problem in my area at least, which is showing 42 within a 50 mile radius. They also were advertising on autotrader at below MSRP, but now all are listed at MSRP, so that's not a good sign.

I'm not in a rush, but I hope the wait isn't too long. I'm hoping by this time in February or so inventories should be more restored and prices will be more reasonable again. After all, lumber prices already fell from their $1600 or so peak to under $500 on the 15th. By next year I bet we'll see $300s again as was pre-covid norm. Our office is already fully back in force.

The only question for me is if we want to sell the truck now while prices are high and just share one along with the motorcycles for a few months when prices relax. Hmm...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting, they are lower than they were just a little while ago when I checked, but not so low as to be a problem in my area at least, which is showing 42 within a 50 mile radius. They also were advertising on autotrader at below MSRP, but now all are listed at MSRP, so that's not a good sign.

I'm not in a rush, but I hope the wait isn't too long. I'm hoping by this time in February or so inventories should be more restored and prices will be more reasonable again. After all, lumber prices already fell from their $1600 or so peak to under $500 on the 15th. By next year I bet we'll see $300s again as was pre-covid norm. Our office is already fully back in force.

The only question for me is if we want to sell the truck now while prices are high and just share one along with the motorcycles for a few months when prices relax. Hmm...
Just saw a Tucson ad while watching the news, were offering finance/lease incentives.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The ONE Tuscan on my dealer's lot (they have a total of 10 new vehicle of all types on lot!) has pricing comparable to the SC for the SEL trim package. Don't know what "accessories" are on it, but...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts