Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
August? Ug! And here it is June 1st and no pricing or proper build site listing details and options... :confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Near the end of this video the Hyundai rep claims they should appear in dealerships in the August time frame (in Canada), specifically "all out" in the market by late August.
My fear is that the first handful will also be full MSRP plus dealer addons like undercoating and window etching non-negotiable to bump up the street price, meaning it may be January before you can get one at a decent discount. Hmmm...

·
Registered
150 Posts
My fear is that the first handful will also be full MSRP
I assume this too. There is no way your getting a discount on a new NEW vehicle. Pricing always follows supply vs demand... and that table will be tipped in the favor of the dealer for the first few months no doubt.

That dealer add-on junk is going to vary from dealer to dealer as their F&I department attempts to generate max profit out of suckers. So just shop at a dealer who doesn't play that game.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My fear is that the first handful will also be full MSRP
I assume this too.
Yep, me too... I've got a hard time paying MSRP for anything, especially a Hyundai. That's not a dig on Hyundai, I've bought a few, but we all know resale value isn't one of their strong points. By getting a good deal up front you're limiting that issue, at least a little.

I was able to negotiate 18% off MSRP on a Elantra GT Sport with the 6 speed manual a few years ago (23% off if you include the silly dealer add-ons). Those were admittedly a slow seller for Hyundai though, they've already discontinued the GT/hatchback model here. But... we also bought a Santa Fe in 2019 for 15% below MSRP, and that's a bread and butter, high volume vehicle for Hyundai and the dealers and it was the first year of the redesign.

I don't think the Santa Cruz will be a sales flop, but it's going to be small volume compared to the Tucson, Santa Fe and Kona and maybe even Sonata and Elantra. Hopefully dealers won't try to take advantage and will be willing to deal a little.

The beauty of the internet is... even if the dealers in your area refuse to deal, it's dead simple to get some quotes from dealers within a day's drive away and use them to help with negotiation. I have zero issues buying a one-way plane ticket and driving back in a new car if it means saving enough to make it worth my time.

That dealer add-on junk is going to vary from dealer to dealer as their F&I department attempts to generate max profit out of suckers. So just shop at a dealer who doesn't play that game.
On my Elantra Sport the dealer had $1,400 worth of completely nonsense add-ons and they acted shocked when I said I wasn't going to pay for any of it. The tint they had listed for $500 wasn't even actually done, and the first thing I did when I got home was remove the pin striping they added for $400. $200 for nitrogen in the tires? Geez... I guess it works on some people or they wouldn't keep doing it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow that dealer add on receipt is literally the list of stuff you should NEVER pay for :eek: clearly a complete scum-bag dealer :mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow that dealer add on receipt is literally the list of stuff you should NEVER pay for :eek: clearly a complete scum-bag dealer :mad:
Yep. They're located in Killeen, TX which is a big army base town (Fort Hood). It's a HUGE mega dealer, Hyundai, Ford and VW. I suspect they get a lot of young service folks who are away from home with some money in their pockets for the first time in their lives and don't have a clue... sad.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I suspect they get a lot of young service folks who are away from home with some money in their pockets for the first time in their lives and don't have a clue... sad.
That makes it even worse :cry: downright shameful

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like that color.. Hampton Gray?
Hampton Gray is a current Santa Fe color -- I thought it looked good until I saw it in person -- kind of a flat gray and not as appealing as some other gray colors, but then again it is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hampton Gray is a current Santa Fe color -- I thought it looked good until I saw it in person -- kind of a flat gray and not as appealing as some other gray colors, but then again it is in the eye of the beholder.
I think the Hampton Grey is close to the color of the 21 Elantra (Amazon Grey). I just saw one the other day. It's not a bad color but it is flat.
If I end up purchasing a SC, I will wait until next year's production as I think they will fix the rear window and have a better configuration or opening. Also, the liner does not seem to be waterproof as per the demo video. They will probably fix that as well. I have purchased quite a lot of Hyundai vehicles since 1994 but I never purchase the first year run. Then again, that's just me.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
That video has it right! Only legitimate fees are: tax, title, license and $55 document fee in California.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh, this wait to see a Santa Cruz is killing me!

Reactions: SirNotAppearing

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
I'm starting to lose patience in Hyundai not rolling out pricing after taking our "insider" interest deposits that really don't appear to mean much of anything when you read the fine print (other than giving them an indication of interest). To add insult to injury, we have to watch Ford's reveal and pricing come out together, complete with a pricing build suite with ease. I need clarity to plan my future auto needs now. This strange pricing holdup can't be good for Hyundai in general. I now see their website has all kinds of "coming soon" trims for other models like: Hybrid, Plug-in hybrid and N-Line. If they thought the Santa Cruz "insider" program was going to draw buyers into Hyundai dealers before the model arrives to sell them another Hyundai vehicle, they are sadly mistaken. Those like myself that have been watching the grueling Santa Cruz production process for 6+ years now are already burned out from that. Now we have to put up with a simple keystroke entry pricing delay? As President Geriatric Joe would say, "Come on man!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agree... I'd go as far as to say Hyundai looks pretty poorly prepared and outclassed by Ford on the launch of these things. Ford didn't keep the Maverick a very well kept secret, but they just officially announced it's existence a week or two ago? And we already have pricing, trim details and a full build suite like you say.

Hyundai meanwhile has been teasing the SC for the better part of a decade. They finally released the more or less production specs and some press info 2 months ago, but here we are still without pricing, trim level details, etc.

Hyundai needs to get a pot of coffee going and get more details out ASAP, even if it's not good news (like the rumored production delays) just so consumers know what to expect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm starting to lose patience in Hyundai not rolling out pricing after taking our "insider" interest deposits that really don't appear to mean much of anything when you read the fine print (other than giving them an indication of interest).
This is one of the reason I didn't give them a dime. I'm not paying to be on a mailing list. I worked in marketing for many years and wasn't taking the bait.

Hyundai had a month's head start and still doesn't have as much details as Ford gave on day 1. Really poor showing that doesn't inspire confidence. Are they making this thing or not? The only advantage I can see here is getting the details aligned with production so they announce a price just as the vehicle starts to arrive at a dealerships.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts