Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hyundai had a month's head start and still doesn't have as much details as Ford gave on day 1.
Could be on purpose waiting for the Maverick announcement. I imagine the big wigs in Korea are slamming sojus and barking at underlings to quickly finish crunching the numbers and adjust their pricing accordingly.

That said, they were crap at updating the website for the Tucson launch. I actually drove a loaded Tucson at my local dealership weeks before the Hyundai USA website even had it up to build yet.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Mmm... Soju's!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Getting tired of the delay in their announcement for pricing....Starting to think I may go for the Ford Maverick Hybrid, instead... Just bought a Hyundai Tucson Hybrid that my wife is driving and it is a very nice vehicle.....Even my daughter wishes she had gotten one over the the RAV4 Hybrid she just got. Even though the Santa Cruz has the characteristics of a "pickup" it will still be based on the Tucson and I will probably find it redundant to have another Tucson. In other words...where is the excitement?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I dunno, the appeal of having a "matching set" of vehicles that share the same controls is kinda nice IMO. And even though Ford has spilled the beans on the Maverick, its not like it will be at dealerships before fall anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another thing is that, I am now sold on the hybrid concept... and The Santa Cruz does not offer one... at least for now. The Tucson Hybrid was head over heels better than the gas version in terms of the oomph factor when applying the pedal to the metal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another thing is that, I am now sold on the hybrid concept... and The Santa Cruz does not offer one... at least for now. The Tucson Hybrid was head over heels better than the gas version in terms of the oomph factor when applying the pedal to the metal.
Good point, but unlike the Tucson where the hybrid is the higher performance one, the Maverick (which I like BTW) is going to be fairly slow. Probably not around town because they did put an awfully big electric motor on there, but for entrance ramps and highway passing and what not its still not super light and only 190hp combined output. The 275hp torquey turbocharged 2.5T of the SC should be able to launch better w/ AWD, the DCT should have responsive downshifts (same one praised in the Veloster N), and 275hp is a pretty huge jump in power for passing ease. Probably feel a little bit "boosty" compared to a hybrid, but definitely way more oomph there.

So if you're loving the higher performance, the SC SEL Premium and Limited are the ticket IMO. Maverick just has that frugality appeal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am well aware of this and I understand that....but looking at the Ford more for the utilitarian purposes and MPG.... than for speed and power. Previously had the Tundra, but my days of needing a big Pickup are over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was pretty committed to the SC Limited and put $100 reservation on it but the lack of pricing is driving me nuts. I was also keeping my eye on the Maverick. When the pricing and build became available, I built the Lariat I would like and came in at about $35000. Not bad. I reserved and immediately was contacted by the local dealership. I actually went over there and spoke to someone. He took my specs and said he would order that for the dealership so I could see one as soon as possible. The interior was the same as the Bronco sport. They had one on the lot with the eco boost gas engine and, like I want , but it was sold so I could not test drive, but I sat in it and liked the interior except for the lack of a regular shifter. It has some rotating dial. I am starting to lean towards the Maverick because of Hyundai playing coy with information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am well aware of this and I understand that....but looking at the Ford more for the utilitarian purposes and MPG.... than for speed and power. Previously had the Tundra, but my days of needing a big Pickup are over.
Sounds like you're a Ford customer then. I will never, in my lifetime, buy a vehicke with a CVT transmission, Your mileage may vary on that choice..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like you're a Ford customer then. I will never, in my lifetime, buy a vehicke with a CVT transmission, Your mileage may vary on that choice..
CVTs are efficient but notoriously fragile, however, I think they are OK when driving relatively small low horsepower engines and assisted with a strong electric motor. The motor in the Maverick is a whopping 125hp per their specs, which for comparison the Tucson hybrid uses a 60hp electric motor, less than half as powerful.

Edit: The Ford Escape Hybrid has a near identical powertrain, so going to test drive one and see how it feels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't commit to buying anything without seeing it in the flesh, sitting inside and going for a test drive. Its not like I need a new truck right away. The lack of information from Hyundai is disappointing but at some point (days, weeks, months?) this will be corrected. Ford is clearly winning with their superior communication... but have they built a better vehicle? For my use case I don't think so.

Hyundai's delays are obviously costing them early sales and hopefully this fact hasn't be lost on management. However I wonder if factory capacity is limited and thus they are going for a "soft launch" on the SC while keeping the focus on the Tucson which, by all counts, has been well received. A rush to launch could come back to bite Ford. We've seen what appear to be production ready SC's driving around so they might be tweaking software for driveablity. But with the EPA numbers already posted I can't imagine there is much left to tune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We've had mixed experiences with CVTs. I said I'd never own one, but my wife fell in love with the little Nissan Juke when it launched and we ended up buying one in 2011. I was especially nervous about it in a Nissan product. Nissan historically had multiple issues with their CVTs (we have a friend with a Rogue who had hers replaced 3 times I think under warranty). But, it turned out to be a great match to the character of the Juke. The torquey little turbo motor paired with the CVT meant it was always in the right gear, even when driving hard, and that low end grunt kept it from wailing and droning in high RPMs too long. Never had a hint of trouble with it either when we sold it around 80k miles.

Fast forward to now where I'm looking for a car with some utility and AWD. Subaru seems like the obvious choice, but test driving the Outback, Forester and Crosstrek with the CVT is painful... they're slow, droning and just generally ill suited for any kind of 'enthusiastic' driving. You can get a Crosstrek with a 6 speed manual, which was the direction I was headed when Hyundai announced the SC was coming soon. I think low torque, naturally aspirated motors + CVT is a terrible recipe unless you poke around at very sedate speeds at all times.

So, I'm not 100% against ever owning another CVT again, but it's certainly not my transmission of choice. Give me a traditional torque converted one, or a well executed DCT is even better (since manuals have disappeared on pretty much everything). Happy to see Hyundai hasn't started to adopt CVT on everything like Subaru.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Reactions: gustav

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Reactions: gustav

·
Registered
2 Posts
Called Tustin Hyundai the other day to see if the Hampton Gray one was there on display that was posted in a video (local to me), but apparently it is a Hyundai higher-ups personal rig and he was just there to show it off and take them too lunch. Sales rep I spoke with said all the guys working there are waiting to get their hands on one. He'd been checking the future inventory lists frequently and hasn't seen any show up yet. That list looks about two months out. It's going to be a long wait for me, but after 6-1/2 years what's two more months... :confused:
Had the same experience at my local dealership in Virginia, I knew more about the product than the person selling them. They are not professional salespeople that’s for sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I knew more about the product than the person selling them.
Typical. But in their defense they have nothing to sell today... or tomorrow, or maybe for months :(

Auto sales people are just deal closers, their job is to make you comfortable enough to sign on the dotted line. Very few of them have any real product knowledge, they mostly deal in the removable of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

41 - 58 of 58 Posts